Bug Window Helps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bug Window Helps

My welding has been going down hill due to 50-something eyes, but the new lid plus a cheater lens has brought back some confidence in my skill level.
    Not the best by far, but now I can see the puddle better I realized I wasn`t setting the machine properly.
    Feel free to critique.

Mike
    Regency 200 w/30A
    Dynasty 200 dx
    Esab 875 plasma
    MM350-P w/30A

Mike,

Looking good. It is great to see again! The Big Window Elite did that for me. Even though I thought I was seeing well with the Optrel Satellite my SS TIG was suffering some. With Miller's Big Window Elite I can see the puddle, 309 filler, and work piece. Too much high amperage carbon rods and large diameter SS flux core I guess. Have you ever run (2) #14 dark green glasses back to back because the arc on the SS pipe reflecting off the water was just too bright to control?

Comment

Come on guys...I tried to edit my post to Big Window Elite, but I was laughing at myself so hard I just left it!
      BUG Window is more like what I was looking through before.
      I would appreciate any thoughts on how ugly my welds are. I rarely get a chance to keep my skills , such as they are, sharpened.

Mike
      Regency 200 w/30A
      Dynasty 200 dx
      Esab 875 plasma
      MM350-P w/30A

Comment

Hawk
        I guess we were typing at the samt time.
        The question about stainless is no. I have yet to attempt ss, although a friend dopped off some for me to try in my spare time, which is at a premium in the summer.
        I think the Big(or Bug) Window will get me closer to the results I am after witk my welding and plasma cutting!

Mike
        Regency 200 w/30A
        Dynasty 200 dx
        Esab 875 plasma
        MM350-P w/30A

Comment

Wheels
          Those Big Windows are great aren't they! I'm seeing better now than I think I ever have! I finally tried it out on Mon. and again tonight on SMAW. No worries whatsoever. I could see perfectly. Out of position was easy with the Big Window. I had a bit of a problem on Mon. with it not turning off after the welding stopped. Figured out it was the sun. I'll tinker with the settings later. The temp in my yard Mon. afternoon was around 130 to 135 deg in the sun. Didn't affect the hood at all. ( Affected me plenty! )

Don

I think I melted!
          Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
          '06 12RC feeder
          Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
          Esab Multimaster 260
          Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

When you guys get a few hundred hours on the big window give us a post. I've got a speedglas but I like keeping up on the technology and in 6 monthes who knows I might need another.

Peace,

Comment

pj,

Mine has that or more on it now. No problems with the hood. The headgear adjustment nut stripped out and would not tighten up a couple of months back, but a quick call to Miller and I had a complete new headgear the next day! It is the best electronic hood I have ever owned. The Optrel Satellite runs a close second.

Comment

Hawk:
                Thanks, I am starting a tig class and am uncertain of the low amperage settings on my 9000x. In 2 years I've never used it in pulse mode so we'll see but if any trouble exists I have the XLix as a back up but knowing availability is paramount in time of need. My eyes are really bad so I spare no expense to protect them.

Thanks for all your support and knowledge,

Comment

DDA52

I wouldn`t trade mine for a new Kenworth........well, only if it had a 600 Cat in it!!!

Mike
                  Regency 200 w/30A
                  Dynasty 200 dx
                  Esab 875 plasma
                  MM350-P w/30A

Comment

Wheels,

I'd have to let mine go for a KW! BWE's are inexpensive by comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by Wheels
                      DDA52

I wouldn`t trade mine for a new Kenworth........well, only if it had a 600 Cat in it!!!

Mike
                      Wheels
                      I'd have to think about that. KW isn't my favorite.... but a 600 CAT might be an even swap!

Don
                      Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
                      '06 12RC feeder
                      Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
                      Esab Multimaster 260
                      Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

Wheels and DDA52,

You guys have hauled one too many loads.

Comment

DDA52

A friend of mine has a W900L like mine with the 600 in it. He wants me to try it out, and I will take him up on the offer. The KW I drive has a 475 in it and the torque is amazing. My other truck has an N14 500hp Cummins and is very responsive. The only thing that scares me is my meager knowlege of the electronics on these engines. I have rebuilt 7 of the old mechanical controled Cummins and 2 older style Cats.
                          DDA, do you do your own repairs or do you go to the local shops?
                          I do probably 90% of my own and pick up enough buisness in the of-season to keep me buisy.Our asphalt season ends in late november and starts again in March.
                          Sorry to be so long winded , but I get that way from time to time.

Mike
                          Regency 200 w/30A
                          Dynasty 200 dx
                          Esab 875 plasma
                          MM350-P w/30A

Comment

Wheels
                            I do about 15% of my repairs. I just don't have enough time to do them all. The shop I use built both of my tandems. They know them pretty well. They have my Volvo right now.
                            Electronic engines are nothing to be leary of. Both of my trucks now are e motors. My fuel economy has doubled from that of the old mech Cummins I used to have. I have smaller engines though. M-11 at 370 and 3176 CAT at 350. Both average around 16 to 17 mpg unloaded and 7 to 8.5 loaded. That was a big jump from the Ford's 4 - 4.5! To do the work on those engines, you have to buy the tools. The scanners and analyzers are VERY pricey, then there's the software. Cummins won't let theirs go, so you'd have to get it done anyway. Personally, I'd rather buy "other" toys.
                            Our seasons never end. We pretty much run 5 to 6 days a week all year. The occasional lull in the action is appreciated at times.

Hawk
                            One too many??? How about two too many!

Don
                            Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
                            '06 12RC feeder
                            Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
                            Esab Multimaster 260
                            Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

DDA52 and Wheels,

You know I am just kidding. I admire you and the wife (even with a dirty truck picture)for running such a hard business. Keep up the good work!

Comment

Working...
                              X