Welding assessment for Chromoly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding assessment for Chromoly

I was wondering if someone could give an assessment of this practice TIG weld on the sleeve joint in the picture. This was done with ER70-S2 .045 filler rod. As per 2004, NHRA rules this joint is telescoping two diameters into the outside tube and secured with rosette welds. Any constructive criticism would be appreciated.
    Attached Files
    m

Buzz:
    I am not sure about NHRA but I've seen winged sprint car chassis's repaired in this fashion. The car was in a real nasty endo roll and bent the foreward up bars, the repair was exactly the same as what you pictured. The repair worked well with not a hint of trouble.

I can not imagine a NHRA car taking the abuse in a lifetime a sprinter takes on the normal weekend at a dirt track.

Hope this helps,

Comment

i just passed the c.m. bend test out at red and the only advice i can give you is get it TIGHTER more filler the stronger

and watch out for the H.A.Z.

keep the haz even........

tell me what heat you are running ?

dawg

Comment

Thanks for the input guys, unfortunately, the Welding supply houses are closed for the duration of Memorial Day and I'm out of Argon. I will tighten up and use more filler. I'll post another picture when I'm done.
        m

Comment

Buzz is this rule new this year? I know rosette welds are used to secure the shoulder bar in a dragster where the top frame rails butt together behind the center of your back. The reason I ask if it's new is because where the tubes downsize like your picture many guys in front of the firewall will leave the top frame rail (as well as other places) unwelded creating a slip joint. Sometimes a clamp is used to control the amount of slip. Anyaways I am just curious because I have seen cars with as many as 14 slip joints in them and one was just certified this year. I am only talking about dragster frames here and not door cars. I will look into the 04 rule book and see beacuse the 03 rule book only states that butt joints have rosette welds. Thanks and good luck.

Comment

Buzz sorry I reread your post and I misunderstood it. You are not downsizing the tube you are joining two tubes of the same diameter together with a larger diameter tube outside of them. Sorry I misunderstood. So please ignore my other post about the slip joints.

Comment

The attach drawing is the basic idea on what I am doing. The joints 1 3/8" .049 Chromoly tubing into 1 1/2" which is the shoulder hoop. This chassis will clamped on top of a rigid strong back to prevent the warping of the alignment. The last time I did any extensive TIG work was 20 years ago and the majority of welding I've been doing is with MIG and stick I definitely need practice with TIG. I wanted to stick with specs for NHRA 7.40 and slower, so it would be sanctioned at any strip. The FED that I will be constructing will be running an injected Flathead and I’m expecting to turn in the high 9's to low 10's.
              Attached Files
              m

Comment

Buzz I am almost positive that you do not need rosette welds where you have indicated on the sketch. My brother runs an Undercover dragster that runs in the 7.80's and it has rosette welds where the shoulder bar makes a butt joint behind your back but not where the tubes downsize. You may want to contact your local track and they can give you the number to contact for the tech. department. Good luck with your car.

Comment

Working...
                X