Tig Water cooled!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tig Water cooled!

I am looking at buying a water cooled set up for my Sync 180 what should i get.

I use a Sync 250 with the water cooled torch and love it. been working for a Aluminum Jet boat company for 4 weeks my tig welds are looking really sweet.

what should get ?

Gary
    Dry Creek Welding
    Dynasty 300DX Tigrunner
    Trailblazer 302
    Spectrum 2050
    suitcase 12RC

GaryM,

The Coolmate 4 is a really nice unit. It is a cylinder shaped unit that works great, but is not stackable. I use one with my Dynasty 200DX. The Coolmate 3 is a smaller unit that is stackable. I have one on my D300DX. I prefer the Coolmate 4 if space is not a problem!

Whichever you choose get the Miller low conductivity coolant. It protects form high frequency bleed off through the coolant as well as prevents algae, etc.. The coolant part number is 043 810. This is for TIG only and a different coolant should be used where you have any aluminum contacting the coolant such as in the mig process.

An excellent all around torch is the Miller Diamond Back #20 water cooled torch with the AK4 accessory kit (tungsten, collets, bodies,etc.). You can get different kits from just the torch and hoses to a full blown kit with regulator, gas hose, etc. It also comes with a zip up sheath to protect the water and gas lines. These lines are super flexible! You will really like this set up.

Comment

GaryM,

There are a dozen different specialty torches that are purpose specific, but the Diamond Back #20 will fill the bill 99 out of 100 times. It is rated at 250 amps. It will handle anything the Syncro 180 will throw its way including the heat from 100% helium gas shield. The 75%helium/25%argon will really push the aluminum thickness up to .250" plus on the syncro 180 if you have the water cooled set up to handle it!

Comment

might sell it

I was also thinking about selling the snyc 180 its only about 3 months old.

what should i ask for it?

Gary
        Dry Creek Welding
        Dynasty 300DX Tigrunner
        Trailblazer 302
        Spectrum 2050
        suitcase 12RC

Comment

GaryM,

That is always a tough question. The machine less running gear should bring $1400 ball park. The machine with the running gear ought to net another $100 at $1500. These are estimates and you my do better or worse depending on the area market. I am basing these numbers on you paying $1500+tax less running gear and $1600+tax with running gear. The Washington area market may demand much higher prices. Good luck.

Comment

I have been thinking also about a water cooled torch. I am spoiled now that I have used a D300DX with the DB#20 torch. I am not sure if want to spend the money on cooling unit though. Has anybody built there own?

Comment

Canuck,

You can build one, but the cost is close to buying one. You need a cooling tank, 60PSI pump, and evaporator coil, and a fan. Miller used to make a tap water kit, but discontinued it for several reasons. The main reason is because the open loop system used tap water. The minerals were clogging otherwise good tig torches. Also the lack of pressure made the open loop system less effective in cooling. The tap water also has a tendency to attract the high frequency from the torch.

Comment

selling 180

dont know if this will help but might give you a good starting point if you sell . consider shipping $$$ unless you sell local.
                you can get a new 180 with running shiped to dore on line at $1,611.00
                ive been looking at geting one myself in about 6 months i hope . may i ask y you want out of you'rs??
                thanks for the help
                ......or..........
                hope i helped
                sigpic
                feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
                summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                JAMES

Comment

Gary:
                  Try http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?id=4918 this is a listing for a coolmate4 with torch for $250 if it isn't sold.
                  Good luck,

Comment

Gary,

A coolmate 3 will handle anything you will weld. Plus you can always keep it when you upgrade to a new machine! (like a Dynasty)

You will need a special adapter for the Sync 180 to water cooler. The part # is 194721.

Good luck!

Andy

Comment

Homebuilt Cooler

for what it is worth have built a few water cooling units... the key to doing it inexpensively is to find a carbonation pump unit for a soda fountain... they use the same type of vane pump as is in the commercial unit.... they do show up at flea markets and junk stores from time to time... and at scrapyards...(approx $20-40) that is the heart of the system and the most expensive part... using only a 3 gallon tank you can get by without a radiator.... but scrap automotive evaporators are plentiful and work slick.... putting one together will involve some time and labor ... and time is money so it is probably a wash unless you enjoy putting together your own stuff.... and the coolmates are very nicely packaged... so guess it is really a matter of personal preference... for me I enjoy tinkering so tend to build some stuff just for the fun of it...
                      hope this helps
                      Heiti

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                      Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                      Dynasty 200DX
                      Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
                      Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Heiti:
                        You are a character for the ages, build it because----you can!
                        I really enjoy your insite into welding and fabrication, thanks.

Be well,

Comment

Re: selling 180

Originally posted by fun4now
                          dont know if this will help but might give you a good starting point if you sell . consider shipping $$$ unless you sell local.
                          you can get a new 180 with running shiped to dore on line at $1,611.00
                          ive been looking at geting one myself in about 6 months i hope . may i ask y you want out of you'rs??
                          I would let it go for $1300 but could not help(other then packing it up and sending it) with the shipping, also it does not have the running gear. its very new bought new 4/1/04 and still has the wood bolted to the bottom.

Gary
                          Dry Creek Welding
                          Dynasty 300DX Tigrunner
                          Trailblazer 302
                          Spectrum 2050
                          suitcase 12RC

Comment

pjseaman
                            think that was a compliment... and thanks... but guess that I am a bit of a Dinosaur.... the reason that I posted on this one had a lot to do with all of the capable minds and hands that participate here... if you are not in a hurry and are willing to think and build.. as well as scrounge a bit... you can build some things that are every bit as good and durable as the commercial units.... save some money... and have the pride in having figured it out and built it.....
                            THANKS!!!
                            Heiti

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                            Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                            Dynasty 200DX
                            Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
                            Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

I would love to buy a coolmate but nothing is ever that easy.I think that I will look into building one maybe. As for now I am getting a 200 amp air cooled torch from a friend which should be good for those higher amp days and maybe even helium/argon. Thanks to all.

Comment

Working...
                              X