Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Wire

Basic Question:
    Welding 11 Guage steel sheet(shelves) to .025 angle for shelving. All steel.
    Should I mig with .024 or .035 wire with gas.
    Welding different thicknesses together (MIG), what are the guidelines for wire size and amps??
    Also, still have a great humidity promblem here in Louisiana, will the steel wire on my MIg machines become contaminated quickly/rusted.
    Had one 33 lb go south due to rust but that took years in Arizona.
    Gosh I love AZ weather.
    Thanks

JWELD,

My guess is it'll be difficult with MIG period. 1/8" welded to 22ga. sounds more like a TIG job to me. I'd definitely use .024 and set up for the 1/8", keep the heat on the big stuff, and use some kind of backing on the 22ga. to prevent blowing holes in it.

I'm sure you'll get an answer from one of the experienced pro's, and I'm curious, too.

I don't know what machine you use, or how much you use it, but I think I'd pull the wire spool off and put it in dry storage at the end of the day if it's that wet in the shop.

Be well.

hankj
    ...from the Gadget Garage
    Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
    Handler 210 w/DP3035
    TA185TSW
    Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

Comment

Hankj
      It's 11 gauge to .250 (1/4")

My mistake!!!!!

Comment

If you put a 40 watt light bulb in the door with the wire it will keep it dry.

Comment

Ahhh! A smart, experienced fellow would probably have guessed that. But so far, you're stuck with me!

Actually, I've welded 1/8" x 2" flat bar to 1/4" angle with the MM135 set at 9/40. I used a piece of 3/16 backing behind the 1/8 bar and had what were good results for me at the time. I'd probably try it the same way again, but I hope it would look a lot better now!!

Be well.

hankj
          Handler 210 w/DP3035
          TA185TSW

Comment

My MM Vintage is set up with .035 and my MM 172 is set up with .024 wire, both with gas. Which would do the job better??

Comment

The machine won't matter, except for your personal preference in which you like to run. I'd probably use the thinner wire machine so as to watch my deposition rate a little more closely for adjusting.

Set it for just a hair over the thin setting and burn it into the thicker. Adjust based on your results.

Rinse. Repeat.

I had to laugh because the first thing that came to my mind when reading the initial question was: "I wonder if he means 1/4"?"

Comment

I d use the Vintage with the .035 wire. The .024 wire in the Challenger is pretty small for these material thicknesses. The .035 in the Vintage will give you a smooth arc were as the .024 is going to have to be ran at an amperage that is beyond its sweet spot range for short circuit transfer, so the arc will be somewhat harsh, and the wire will pinch of in large balls.

Joint design will somewhat regulate your machine settings, however somewhere between the settings for 1/8" and 3/16" will work fine. If the joint design is a T joint i d use the machines 3/16" settings as a starting point.

Comment

JWELD,

I have spray arced many 1/8" to 1/4" joints with literally hundreds of pounds of .035" ER70S-6 wire. I'd go with .035" and keep the heat on the 1/4" with a straight line motion. It should be a fairly easy weld to make. Spray arc will be best if you can get it into position. Run either 98%argon/2%oxygen or 92%argon/8% CO2 or some other good hot gas like 95%argon/5%oxygen or 90%argon/10% CO2 for the spray.

Comment

JWELD;
                    I would have to agree with HAWK I've done quite a bit in .035 with sheet and 1/4". The best is simply what your hand and eye makes work, both are good for different reasons. The thinner material will be easier to not burn through with the lighter wire, but getting the penetration on the thicker will be harder. The thicker material will be easier with the heavier wire and the lighter material will require much more speed or you'll burn through.

Bottom line this is preferance if you get good with one then that is what you would recomend and will prefer. The real trick is knowing how to do similar jobs with varied materials with equal quality. You have all the ingredients to do it either way so experiment on scrap and build some real world specifications based on your abilities and preferances.

Weld well,

Comment

My vote is for the Vintage and the 035. The .024 has a good range up to 16 gauge. .035s range is really good from 18 gauge to 3/8"

Spray is great but remember what you are building...shelves right. No problem short arcing this project.

Have fun!

A-

Comment

I agree with HAWK and ANDY... and others..the .024 shines on thin sheet metal but is not able to put enough heat into the base metal beyond 12 guage..
                        hope this helps
                        Heiti
                        BTW I have machines dedicated to different wires... my old mm200 has .035 and that is what I would use for this project... will make fast and pretty beads.. and on the wire corrosion prob... would spray it down with one of the light silicone lubes... one of the ones that is mostly solvent... will just leave a light water repellant coating on the wire...

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                        Dynasty 200DX
                        Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
                        Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

JWELD
                          forgot to ask what gas you are using to shield... assumed that you are using c25 (25percent C02 75percent Argon) if so what I said stands... if using straight C02 you will have deeper penetration and can use the .024.. but is a tossup and would probably still prefer the .035 .... on the Vintage...
                          Heiti

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                          Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                          Dynasty 200DX
                          Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
                          Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

JWELD,

See?? Told ya!!!!

Be well, bud.

hankj
                            Handler 210 w/DP3035
                            TA185TSW

Comment

Working...