New Spectrum 375

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Spectrum 375

I'm using it to cut 3/16" plate. It should zip right through, but seems to need to go very slow (10"/minute, instead of the 50"/minute or so that the manual says it will do). Also, there is a lot of slag. It this normal? Am I doing something wrong? Should I go back to my day job? And, who shot JR?

Thanks,

Jeeponrock:
    Welcome aboard I haven't used that model but what you are describing sounds like too little air pressure. Also is there a moisture filter in line if not I would recomend one, a drop of moisture will give you fits. Your not necessarily doing it wrong, just slight technique change and setup. Question are you using a drag technique and what distance are you standing off the material? Most of my experience is using an ESAB and we ran it full out most of the time. Hope this helps anyway!!
    Be cool,

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply

I have a filter inline, but here in Atlanta, it's pretty humid, so there still might be moisture.

I'm using a stand-off roller guide. The gap is about 3/32" (it's right between 1/8" & 1/16", which the manual says is where it needs to be).

I'm running it on full power (27 Amps) and have the air set as high as the unit will let me run without cutting off. I'll try to push it up a little more and see if that helps.

Thanks again.

Comment

Re: New Spectrum 375

Originally posted by Jeeponrock
        I'm using it to cut 3/16" plate. It should zip right through, but seems to need to go very slow (10"/minute, instead of the 50"/minute or so that the manual says it will do). Also, there is a lot of slag. It this normal? Am I doing something wrong? Should I go back to my day job? And, who shot JR?

Thanks,
        Jeeponrock,
        I'm not sure who shot JR, but you might check the voltage switch on the back panel of the 375, mine [ about two yrs. old ] will work off of 115 or 230. I think 3/16 should not be a problem at all given your settings and standoff. Sometimes it's the simple things that mess us up the worst.
        Mike
        MACH4

Comment

Are you using it on 120volt or 240volt? HAWK mentioned something about the power cord on the 375 in another post. Try using the search feature for more posts on the 375. Also check your air compressor volume, the specs say 4.5CFM at 60psi. That's a lot of air if you have a small compressor.
          I have the 625 and it won't quit, I'm doing things with it like I would do with a Ox/Act torch only much faster and easier.

Comment

I'm on 240V

And the circuit is able to handle up to 50 amps. The switch is in the right position. The compressor will put out 10+ CFM at 90psi so it shouldn't be the problem, unless the air-line is soaking it up.

The power cord could be the restriction, too. I had to make a pig-tail to go from the 120/240V little plug to a big 240V/50A plug like the real equipment has. Perhaps I need to run a bigger wire out of the machine?

Comment

bigger wire

bigger wire out of machine was the post b4.
              still it sounds like you have another problem?
              you say you had to run a pigtail to get 240. have to ask the obveuse are you shoure you got 240 when you were done??and are you on an extention cord?
              thanks for the help
              ......or..........
              hope i helped
              sigpic
              feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
              summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
              JAMES

Comment

I'll check

I had an extension cord, but unplugged it, and moved the work so that I could eliminate it. No change in cut performance. I also took a grinder to the spot I put the ground clamp so that I would get a better ground.

I'll check the voltage this afternoon.

Comment

HAWK's post

I have a 2050 and love it! I have had the pleasure to put a 625 through its paces. The 375 is a nice unit and a larger input cord on the 375 makes all the difference in the world.
                  I am a fan of what works best for me. It just happens to be that most of my stuff is blue.

HAWK

i hope HAWK dosent mind me reposting him.
                  good luck hope this helps!
                  thanks for the help
                  ......or..........
                  hope i helped
                  sigpic
                  summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                  JAMES

Comment

Sounds to me like your running to much air pressure, just adjust it to what the book recommends.

Comment

I doubt the pressure is too high, unless he's not regulating it at the unit. The Spectrum 375 wants to fed 80-100 psi and then use its own regulator to take it down to 60, where the green indicator is on its panel gauge. It will not run, and will light an LED, if the pressure is outside of parameters.

It also will not run if plugged into voltage that is not what is set at the switch on the rear, 120/240V.

My guess is the stand-off. Have you tried varying the stand-off, instead of the 1/16" - 1/8"? That seems a little high. I got much better results keeping it at 0-1/16", almost dragging.

Comment

spectrum 125c

i just took my spec 125c out of the box today it is cutting 1/4 inch at 10 IPM i hope you got youre spec 375 working right it should do much better dont give up on it
                        thanks for the help
                        ......or..........
                        hope i helped
                        sigpic
                        JAMES

Comment

jeep.

Too much pressure is bad!

60-65 PSI max, also make sure the tip is good.

It will mess up the swirl in the torch and cause turbulence and a bad cut. I find 1/16 stand off max otherwise drag it. 3/16" is a cake walk for this unit. I have the same one and just cut the toungue off a trailer that a landscape company jack knifed.

Good luck!

Andy

ps

I shot JR....He looked at my wife

Comment

Working...
                          X