Best all-a-round cutter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best all-a-round cutter?

this may seem like a stupid question, but what does everybody think is the best all around cutter for cutting ferrious and non ferrious metals without out spending a fortiune?
    thanks,
    zach kling

Zach,

I think a deep throat (4 3/4") portable band saw is an efficent and easy way to cut most metals. You are limited on size and will not be able to cut sections from large sheets. It is great for square and round tube stock. $350

The Bosch jig saw works well on .125" plate and thinner. $150

The plasma cutter is the most efficient way to cut any and all shapes without limiting your cutting area. $1500-$2500 depending on rated thickness cut capacity.

An oxy-acetylene torch is nice, but you just ruled out non-ferrous metals! $250 + tanks.

A sawsall type reciprocating saw also works well for 1/4" angle, etc.

Abrasive 14" chop saws are available for somewaht larger stock 4"x6" give or take depending on brand. $150-$200

A pneumatic die grinder and cut off wheel works well on expanded grate and gauge sheet metal.

If you can get more specific with your needs, maybe we can get a better line on a specific cutting tool.

Comment

What can I add to what HAWK said?..

As far as what I see being used the most for day to day cutting needs in smaller shops. Chops saws, Plasma, and portable band saws, probably about in that order. Of course, each is better for specific needs.

Comment

Recently I saw a fixed base band saw at Harbor Freight for about $200 which I thought was a reasonable price.

Comment

klsm54,

I run a spectrum 2050 plasma for hand cutting and a deep throat variable speed Milwaukee porta-band for small stock. I also keep a Bosch 1587 (I think that is the correct model#) for odd shapes on gauge plate up to .190" and have done .250" for samll distances.

Beyond that the iron worker for shearing and a CNC plasma table for the tricker and more repeatitive work.
          Attached Files

Comment

klsm54,

The CNC burn table with O/A torch heads (2) and HT plasma. This table will do 10" thick carbon steel with the large torch. Pretyy killer set up to be so antiquated. This is the old table that is still used, but a new table was recently built with the new HT G3 series 3 phase that will pierce 1.25" SS!
            Attached Files

Comment

Hawk, those are some fancy pieces of equipment. How big is your shop?
              I would also like to add that a jig saw is great for cutting odd shapes in AL. I have cut 1/4 like paper with a good saw and a good blade.

Comment

Canuck,

Those pictures are not my shop. It belongs to my buddy. It is around 6000 square feet with 40' ceilings in this building which is cutting and welding. The machine shop is another 2000 square feet with an additional 2000 square feet "extra" welding and cutting space.

We are good friends and business associates. We have passed work around between us for the last 18 years. I am always welcome to his shop rent free as needed. In return I send many large jobs his way. Most of these are jobs requiring 5 or 6 people and literally tons of equipment. He also sends me precision TIG work and methane gas pipe welding that he does not deal in. It is a good deal for both of us.

My personal shop is very small by comparison. It is 500 square feet of equipment literally stacked side to side and wall to wall with just enough space to work. However, I am happy with it and able to do quality work. Sometimes it is best to work with what we need rather than what we think we need. Keeping up with the Jones, as the old saying goes, can get us into more trouble than it is worth.

Comment

Canuck,

I guess if I did not have such a good deal I would have invested in a large shop and done things differently. As the good Lord has worked it out I have what I need when I need it. I am very thankful for family, friends, talent, equipment, health, and the peace of mind. I am a christian and thank the Lord daily for all that he has given me. I wish you the very best in your welding and other endeavours. If I can help you out, let me know.

Comment

Zach:
                    I almost forgot my 2 favorite tools my 7 1/4" circular saw with a metal blade and my newly acquired [ borrow to own,] nibbler from Milwaukee tool it will do up to 16ga sheetmetal [ my father-in-laws, borrow to own store, he buys it so I can borrow to own, kinda wierd huh!!!]
                    Peace,

Comment

Hawk sometimes less is more. Having only 150 square feet at my disposal has made me learn to save space when I can and mkae the most out of what I have to work with( also to put wheels on many things).
                      The lord has beem very very good to me as well. There is not a day that gose by when I stop and realize how lucky I really am and at the opportunity I have to get my training when I have. It is people like you and many many others on this board and several others that make me realize that I really want to become a professinal welder.
                      Thank you Hawk and thanks to everyone else that has helped me.

Comment

Canuck,

Stick with it. Do what you enjoy. That is the fun in life!

Comment

10,000 sq ft

you gota want to play in a shop like that
                          looks like great fun. but im happy with my lil shop although it seems to keep growing as i add more blue toy's (ORDERD MY PLASMA CUTTER YESTERDAY OOOOOOOH YEAAAAAA )
                          still wouldnt hate spending a day playin in a frends shop like that.
                          thanks for the help
                          ......or..........
                          hope i helped
                          sigpic
                          feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
                          summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                          JAMES

Comment

I'm not going to bring my religious views into this post, for, I'm afraid, as an open-minded, tolerant atheist, I have none.

Anyways, onto the real point of this post. I, like Canuck feel the pain of working in a small shop. I'm mostly stuck in the back part of a small metal working shop, and the welding area is about 8' wide, and 20' long. Very cramped to get in 5 MILLER stick welders, one Oxy/Fuel torch, one MILLERmatic 200, and two gas welders. The size of most Miller products has been great to us. The ease of use, and maintenence of the welders themselves has been wonderful. I'm also in charge of teaching most students how to weld, and if a machine fails on me, or one of my students, I'm the one who has to fix it. With our 6 miller welders, we've only had one problem of bird nesting in the 200, but was quickly solved with a new gun liner. In short, the size and dependability of Miller products makes life a lot easier for those of us who are very limited in shop space. You can bet my home shop will be wall to wall with BLUE.

As for the original topic of the best cutter, go plasma. Expensive in the short run, well worth it in the long run.
                            -Tanner

Comment

Re: 10,000 sq ft

Originally posted by fun4now
                              you gota want to play in a shop like that
                              looks like great fun. but im happy with my lil shop although it seems to keep growing as i add more blue toy's (ORDERD MY PLASMA CUTTER YESTERDAY OOOOOOOH YEAAAAAA )
                              still wouldnt hate spending a day playin in a frends shop like that.
                              fun4now,

Let me just say that it too gets old. There is so much room and equipment it it hard to decide what to use when. Don't get me wrong. It is a great work shop at the very least. The high ceilings are priceless and all the blue machines are great. Some of those old Millers are long discontinued: variable slope GMAW's and high amperage pulsers. Most everything is 3 phase power. If you are ever in the knoxville,TN area, let me know and I'll be glad to give you a tour. My buddy would be glad to have you come weld for a day!

Comment

Working...
                              X