Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olivero
    replied
    Try out the E3 electrodes. Those you can use for AC & DC. I used to use Pure aluminum and Thoriated, then I was recommended E3's and have been using those ever since. They are awesome and about as much as a pack of thoriated but keeps you sticking to one type. I still keep 1 or 2 just for aluminum with a balled tip but the other 8 in the pack I use on brass, steel, stainless, etc.

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Originally posted by snoeproe View Post
    If you use the search function you will discover that this topic has been beaten to death on online welding forums.
    I'll take my red toriated tungsten over anything else for DC tig welding. In the industrial and construction worlds,thats all you will see. And for good reason.
    These so called health risks are so minimal, you have nothing to worry about.
    There have been many threads here too...

As long as this ancient thread has been reopened

here is a DG ad that reflects current thought

http://www.diamondground.com/thoriat...-discontinued/

Leave a comment:

• snoeproe
    replied
    If you use the search function you will discover that this topic has been beaten to death on online welding forums.
    I'll take my red toriated tungsten over anything else for DC tig welding. In the industrial and construction worlds,thats all you will see. And for good reason.
    These so called health risks are so minimal, you have nothing to worry about.

Leave a comment:

• Canuck
    replied
    Thanks Hawk I will stick with the lanthanated for steel.

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    Originally posted by GWB
    Hawk, ever use the 200OX any more?

Will do a lot of 1018 1/16-3/16 and Alu < 1\4. 300 is too much $

Was hoping that the 200DX with the Lath tungsten would fill the bill....

GWB,

I rely on my 200DX for most of my mobile needs including non critical stick. I hate to admit it, but have had some polarity swapping issues on AC with the machine and it is in for warranty work. I have thoroughly researched the problem and it happens to be a fluke out of the clear blue sky. Long story short: new PCB's and PS IGBT's. It should be like new in a day or two.

The 300DX is a heavy cash item especially for the small shop and hobby type user. The 200DX will do a great job on 1018 .063"-.188" with argon. It will also do .250" aluminum except for fillets on argon. Throw 75% he in with 25% argon and it will smoke .250" large weldment fillets easily. The duty cycle will decrease when wide open at 200 amps, but I have run mine for 3 and 4 minutes at a time like this. It is rated at 2 minutes out of 10 wide open and 6 out of 10 minutes at 150 amps. I believe it will fit your needs nicely. Lanthanated tungsten is my choice and I stand firmly by it. The 1.5% works great on the 200DX. The extra power of the 300 is nice to have, but the cost is significant!

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    Canuck,

The zirconiated should work well on AC, but has no DC application as far as I know.

Leave a comment:

• GWB
    replied
    Hawk, ever use the 200OX any more?

Will do a lot of 1018 1/16-3/16 and Alu < 1\4. 300 is too much $

Was hoping that the 200DX with the Lath tungsten would fill the bill....

Leave a comment:

• Canuck
    replied
    Hey Hawk you had me scared for a minute there !
    I will try to get a few of zirconiated tungstens from school and try them out. I am also going to get a much finer wheel for the prep. work. I also don't think that D300DX made me a better welder but it is very comfortable up at my school and there is lots of room to do the work unlike my shop
    Thanks for your help

Leave a comment:

• klsm54
    replied
    HAWK, make sure to report back on whether the High Polish tungsten is of any advantage in your applications over their standard finish, I'll be interested to hear how it works for you.

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    Canuck,

What's your parent's phone number over there in BC? Just kidding! The Dynasty 300 is a great machine. Does it make you a better welder? I don't think so. It just has a different set of rules to play by being an inverter.

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    Canuck,

The 1.5% lanthanated alloy should work fine for AC/DC. For DC sharpen to a point. For AC let it ball on its own with a piece of scrap aluminum. You can also run the machine on DCRP and ball the end using copper for the base metal.

I have not run much lanthanated on square wave machines like the Syncrowaves, but do know the zirconiated alloy tungstens work fantastic on AC with these machines. They withstand the heat well and do not tend to boil off or form large balls-good stuff-only for balled end welding with AC.

Leave a comment:

• Canuck
    replied
    Sort of off topic but what type of electrode do you recomend for my 180sd. Have tried thoirated and just tried some lanthanated on some AL. What do recomend for prep. right now I am using a fine stone on my pedestal grider that is dedicated to grinding tungstens. I also had the pleasure of using a D300DX last week and it sure made me look like I knew what I was doing That machine is great just don't let my parents know that I want one now!

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    RDicewelder,

No obligation. However, they do this with the intent of increasing product sales. I too give out samples of my work to entice customers to purchase. Talk with Jim and let him know I mentioned his fantastic service on this forum. You will need to know what length, taper of grind, diameter of flat, tungsten alloy, and finish you require. The standard RA20 finish is great! I like the 3.5" lenght for manual welding with a medium back cap. I also like the steeper 35 degree taper to handle the higher amperage with helium. 20-25 degrees is a normal taper as is .020"-.030" flat. Good luck

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    klsm54,

Their tungsten products I have tried are fantastic. I can weld 3/8" aluminum fillets (6061T-6511) with their 2% lanthanated tungsten alloy, 3/32" diameter, 35 degree taper, .030 flat, and an RA20 finish at 190 amps to start the puddle and 175 amps to run the weld. This is with the D300DX and straight argon. The machines settings are typical for argon gas. The material is ******, but 65% EN balance is required to get the 5356 filler to really shine. I know that sounds off the wall and adheres to no common rules, but with the conductivity and quality of their 2% lanthanated tungsten alloy electordes it is possible. I must also credit the Dynasty 300 DX for such a great arc and awesome power to achieve such welds within these parameters.

Their Piranha series tungsten grinders are also fantastic! The RA20 finish produced on the taper and flats is superb! Should you worry? No. They cater to specific users such as myself and also to the automation and orbital GTAW industry. Their products are not designed for the small quantity user. A minimum order for preground tungsten alloy is 50 pieces. As you can see this is not a small dollar order. Also their sharpeners start at a list price of $700.00. That probably sounds steep, but in this case you get what you pay for.

They are a specialty vendor with specialty product. I do not believe they are a competitor to a welding supply vendor. Your inventory is quite vast and "general" by comparison. You are selling welding machines, plasma cutters, induction heating systems of various "colors", consumables in small and large quantities, accessories such as mig and tig torches, welding cables, O/A fuel torch systems, hand tools, power tools, assorted clamps, gloves, industrial and perhaps medical gases, regulators, valves, safety caps, etc.

My apologies for the long post, butI got wound up. If you ever need such service, give them a call.

Leave a comment:

• RDicewelder
    replied
    Sounds GREAT. So the people at this company will give out up to 4 tungstons at a time to ANYONE? Is there any obligation attached?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X