Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• plasma cutters and castings

Hi,
    I recently attended a plasma cutter demo hosted by my welding supplier and was really impressed. Up to this point all my experience has been w/ flame cutting. While he covered a wide range situations and metals one bit he didnt cover was castings. How well/poorly will a plasma cutter handle castings? Does performance varying depending on the metal?

plasma cutter

I haven't played alot cutting cast,but I have cut up some brake roters and drums with no problems.

Comment

I've cut lots of aluminum castings with mine. Does a great job with no loss in cutting speed. Just a little more dross that the file made quick work of.

Comment

Castings would be no different, for a plasma, than any other type of metal. Anything that conducts electricity can be cut with a plasma, the thickness of the material being cut should be the same for a casting as it would for sheet product. Just remember one thing, the thickness of the cut is limited by the amperage of the machine, unlike Oxy/Fuel, there is no way to "Soup" up a plasma cutter and make it cut thicker material.

Comment

Thanx!

Comment

Working...
          X