Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Plasma Cutter

Greetings all,

In an effort to bombard the list with a seemingly endless barage of questions from the clueless newbie, I am here again.

My next big purchase for the shop is going to be a plasma cutter. I am looking at the SPECTRUM 375.

The thickest steel I can see cutting is probably 1/4" and that would only be on occasion.

Yes, this is another call for oppinions. Will the SPECTRUM 375 do this or should I look higher in the line???

Thanks in advance,
    Ogier
    From the desk of:
    Ogier de Corbiel
    http://ogiers.org

The 375 is rated for 5/16", they list it for Quatity Cut-3/8" , and Sever- 1/2". This info is from 2004 Miller Catalogue. I have the 625 and I cut the heads off of 1/2" bolts (3/4") all the time, mine is rated 1/2", Quality- 5/8" ,Sever 7/8". I have not had to turn mine all the way up yet! Mine goes to 40amp I haven't used over 30amp yet.
    Her's a problem you WILL have with Plasma, you will run out of things to cut!!

Comment

Ogier,

I remember reading an earlier post where changing the power cord to a larger wire size on the Spectrum 375 made a tremendous difference. I have used the 625 for hours on end and been well pleased. I own the 2050 and would not trade it for anything. I think if you can afford the 625 go for it. I spent a week cutting 1/2" and 5/8" mild steel with it. Knowing this it will zip through 1/4" quickly and cleanly!

Comment

Like most things in life, women being one exception that I can think of, get the bigger size and never look back.

The 375 will do what you are asking, but the 625, or even the 2050, will also do it, better and with lot's of power to spare. Today you may only want to cut gauge material, tommorrow? Who knows? Something else to consider, resale. A 625 or 2050 is a lot easier to sell, if ever the need arises. There are just more people out there that have a use for the larger machines.

Comment

Hi, I had the small red plasma and it never gave me a minutes problem. I happened across a Miller 625 and I am amazed at what it does for my hobbiest level needs. One reason to buy a machine bigger than you might think you need is that the kerf is smaller once you get used to cut speed and the quality of the cut edge is more usable without much more prep time. Good luck and let us know what you decide. Try to compare both units side by side hand-on before you do anything. JEFF
          200DX 350P 625 Plasma & other stuff I forgot

Comment

Greetings,

I found out from the local dealer that the Miller Road show is going to be in Medford, Or on the 10th of july so I will check the cutters out then.

Wheeee!!! I get to play with all the toys.

Ogier
            From the desk of:
            Ogier de Corbiel
            http://ogiers.org

Comment

I got a great deal on a Hypertherm Powermax 600 at a Hypertherm promotional demo in Lafayette Indiana 2-3 years back. I believe I only paid somewhere around $1400 for a brand new unit. My regular welding guy told me to buy it because at that price it was cheaper than he could buy it for, so I jumped on it faster than a chicken on a junebug. After using it I'm sorry I never bought one sooner. Hypertherm, Miller or what ever you end up with make sure you install a quality moisture trap/filter at the back of the machine.

Comment

Working...
              X