Big Window Elite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Window Elite

I'm not a frequent welder so consequently my hood stays in the dark a lot. Will the light from an incandescent light recharge the batteries on the Big Window Elite? I have several calculators that will work with light from a bulb and wonder if the Elite works on the same principle.
    I hesitate to put it out in the sun. After five minutes the hood is pretty hot and I'm afraid the heat will damage the innards.. Also, when I do weld, it is done in the shade.

moe1942

Not sure if the unit charges while it is off or not, however as for welding in the shade, it is the intense UV from the welding arc that powers the cells much more so than ambient light. Due to the fact that you are much closer to the point source of energy, it works quite well at assisting the batteries. I'm not sure about the miller helmet, but I use a hornell helmet and the way mine works is it has two lithium batterys (Shelf life ~5yrs), that it uses when there is not sufficient solar energy to run them (mainly the transition from light to dark), once you start welding, it switches to solar to assist the batteries. Some helmets use rechargeable batteries which may have trouble if left on the shelf. Direct continuious sunlight is a bad idea, not just for the LCD, but for all the plastic parts.
    -illuzion

Comment

The big window doesn't need to be placed in the sun. It has a battery back up that does most of the work. The older hoods didn't have this. Everytime you turn it on, the battery does the work. The solar cells use arc energy to extend the battery life. You should be fine. I never had any troubles from the Elite.

Andy

Comment

Big Window Elite

Thanks for the replies.
        I know I sound like a worry wart but I'm a stckler for taking care of my equipment. Thought I could give the batteries a boost before I used it.

If it ever stops raing I'll do some welding.

PS: Don, please don't send anymore rain!!!!

moe1942

Comment

Re: Big Window Elite

Originally posted by moe1942
          PS: Don, please don't send anymore rain!!!!

moe1942
          Me??? Well, I guess I need to find out who is sending it to me first!
          Got pounded again last night, too. It has rained so much lately, I think I'm getting webs on my feet! I think it'll clear up for you soon, Moe. Right now, it is sunny and about 88 deg. I'm opening the gate and letting some out for you. Let me know when you get it and I'll close the gate.( Don't want to let too much out! )

Don

I'm getting tired of treading water!
          Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
          '06 12RC feeder
          Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
          Esab Multimaster 260
          Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

What's rain?

Comment

Mac
              That is our response in about... say .....a week or so. By the end of summer we will have forgotten all about the wet stuff.

Don

I'm getting tired of treading water!
              Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
              '06 12RC feeder
              Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
              Esab Multimaster 260
              Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

Working...
              X