Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12VS Suitcase wirefeeder

G'day everyone,

I have one of the aforementioned wire feeders and it is currently running like a trooper with my Bobcat 250NT (runs a LOT better than nearly any other MIG combo I have used, although I may be easily pleased!). I'm looking at making an investment and getting into a shop environment as well. What I was wanting to know if I could is that can I save some funds by just purchasing a power source and running the wire feeder with it?

I have read the manual and it says that it is compatible with most DC power sources. Sooooo, what would be a compatible power source for this unit? Does this include 3 phase power sources?

Regards

Andy249
    Andy249
    "Its the way it spatters that matters!"

The Miller catalog recomends the XMT invertters, the dimension series or the gold star. However even though the 12vs is a voltage sensing so you can run it on a constant current machine I would think it would run better on a constant voltage machine. Also with an adapter kit you could run it off of most CV machines. You may want to look on the website for some more info. I don't think there is any reason why you can't run this feeder off of a three phase power source. Hope this helps
    Kyle

Comment

Andy249

Here is a breakdown on the machines Canuck mentioned. The Goldstar is a CC stick machine capable of VS mig and tig. I would look to one of the multi-process machines.

The XMT series and the Dimension series are both cc/cv multi-process machines. Either one will make a fine shop machine. The XMTs are inverters and the Dimension are transformer type machines. The XMT 304 and 350 can be run on single phase or 3 phase power while the Dimension series is strictly 3 phase. The XMT 456 is also a 3 phase only machine. Both are fine machines and the decision will come down to arc preference and money. The XMT series will you you in plant portability if needed. While the Dimension series weighs 360+ pounds for the 300 amp version will have to stay in the shop. The Dimension series also offers the top end on output and duty cycle: up to 1000amps at 100% duty cycle on the Dimension 1000 if you need that kind of output.

Happy decision making.

Comment

Andy249,

I have owned the XMT 304 and currently own the ALT 304 which is very similar to a downscaled XMT 350 with the autoline technology. Both machines have an excellent arc, are user friendly in operation, and give 400 amps output on 3 phase input power. The upper end of the output range is achievable on single phase input power providing you have the proper size supply cables and a large enough breaker to draw from on 240 single phase. I run a 12RC feeder form my ALT 304, but it will just as easily run the 12VS. It even has a specific setting for the voltage sensing feeder. Thoughts from experience.

Comment

I would have to go with the XMT 350. It is single OR three phase and is autoline! This means no worries mate about the power down under!! Really though, the XMT 350 is a great machine. Just put one in at Roush on a Swingarc boom and it runs great!

Good luck
          Andy

Comment

Place my vote for the XMT350 also. More output, Auto-Line and the thing is a real power miser...

Comment

Hi All,

Thanks for all the replies so far guys! I have to admit I wasn't even thinking of the XMT350, but upon closer inspection, I like what I see!! I've combed the spec sheet but I can't seem to find if it can do AC TIG, but I think I can assume it does? Please correct me if I am wrong!

As for the power down under, there is nothing wrong with it as long as the power station has plenty of spare rats for the wheel

To fill you in what I am doing a little more, it will be primarily Aluminium work with a smattering of Mild Steel and Stainless mixed in for good measure. TIG and MIG are two things that I want to have, stick I'm not too fussed about.

When it comes to pulsed MIG I'm not so sure if I really like it or not, on the Fronius machines I have used in the past they seem to have a lower deposition rate, which means that you have to keep the heat around for a bit longer, leading to distortion? I love pulsed MIG from the point of view that it doesn't drop spatter on you when doing overheads etc. but I feel I can get a better quality work piece from just using a normal MIG. Any comments?

Hope you enjoyed my novel.

Regards,

Andy249
              Andy249

Comment

The XMT350 is a DC only machine so it will not be able to TIG aluminum. If you want to TIG aluminum then I would look at the Dynasty 300DX. These are great machines and I sure that Hawk can back this one up Also if you plan to do aluminum Mig then you might want to look into a spool gun.

Comment

That is what I was originally looking at Canuck, I was thinking of getting a Dynasty 300DX for the TIG work and purchasing a MIG power source (like a CP-302 perhaps?) to run with the 12VS. I think it maybe a better way to go as I then I could have a TIG operator and a MIG operator working at once.

I've welded ally with just a standard push setup and a push/pull setup. I don't really like the weight in a push pull gun, it gets really fatiguing after welding for 4 or 5 hours straight. The push setup seems to work fine for me as long you keep the liner clean and straight, and all the equipment is in decent condition.

Regards,

Andy249
                  Andy249

Comment

Andy249,

The CP302 is a nice GMAW power source. However, it is intended for a true CV feeder like the 22A or 12RC. I don't believe it will power your 12VS

The Dynasty 300DX is a great choice. Do get the DX model which includes the built in pulser and sequencer. The Dynasty series the my favorite of the Miller TIG machines. I can go on for hours about the fantastic arc and options these machines offer. However, if you have specific questions please post.

Comment

Andy249,

Why not go ahead and purchase the XMT 350 and the Dynasty 300DX? You can still have a MIG operator and a TIG operator on separate machines with the option to change to any DC process with the XMT operator: DC TIG ("Lift-Arc" or scratch start), Voltage sensing MIG with your 12VS, CV MIG with a 12RC, 22A, etc., and SMAW. The XMT MIG or stick arc is hard to top! It has a great DC TIG arc too!!!

Comment

I think that would be pretty much the ideal combo using what I have now and what I would like/need to have. All a question of finances at the moment, hence the reason why I would really like to get the 12VS running off a power source because wire feeders can be deceptively exy especially when you factor in the gun as well! (unless Miller wants to sponsor me, wouldn't that be the life? Could be part of the big push into Australia? *dreams*)

I think I need to assess a few more things and work out a few priorities (gotta hate it when reality kicks in!) and unfortunately I missed out when the Aussie dollar was climbing against the US it seems so things may end up being a little more expensive, such is life!

Thanks for everyone's thoughts and suggestions please keep them flowing!!

Regards,

Andy249
                        Andy249

Comment

Working...
                        X