maxstar 85s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cleaver,

An 80CF or larger is the way to go. I mainly use 300CF tanks, also have some 80CF's. Figure your gas flow at 15CFH of welding. It will be more than that due to preflow and postflow of the gas. That translates to 4 or 5 hours of TIG on an 80 CF tank.

Will the puddle roll out? No. Just practice before you have to lay under it. The learning curve with TIG is steeper than MIG or STICK. The remote is to adjust your output amperage while welding to start, stop, and properly the weld. Out of position is fun!

Comment

hi Hawk..

sorry...but I decided to get a MIG for now. I just purchased a HH180! got a nice deal, so I took it...haha!

My TIG hunt will have to wait for now as this MIG machine took alot out of my wallet! I need to cut my credit cards now! hahahaha.

Thanks again for all the advice everyone has provided. This site is cool!!!
      newbi welder

Comment

HH180

im shoure you will love the 180 maby if you get some work going with it you can let it pay for youre TIG that would be sweet yes
        good luck and happy welding
        P.S. get some gass for that as soon as you can you will love it with gass
        thanks for the help
        ......or..........
        hope i helped
        sigpic
        feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
        summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
        JAMES

Comment

what kind of wire do I get and where? any particular brand? and size?

I wont be doing any body work..but I hear that people still say to get .23 size...why is that?

yeah, I hope that I can make enough money so that I can buy a TIG machine! hehehe..then ill stop buying from there on! hehehe..

regards
          newbi welder

Comment

here is a pic of it...
            Attached Files
            newbi welder

Comment

Cleav!!

Congrats and welcome to the world of welding. I'm sure you will have fun with your new unit.

That welder runs great with .030 ER70S-6 wire. Lincoln makes a great filler wire called L-56 or Hobart also makes a wire called HB-28 that has similar properties. These 2 brands will probably be abvailable in your area. Use a mix gas of 75% Argon / 25% CO2.

That should get you into enough trouble for now Come on back if you have any more questions!

Andy

Comment

cleaver,

Congratulations on your new machine. Don't be sorry. I run MIG and stick when the job calls for it. I prefer TIG, but that's me.

When you get good with the new machine and set up Andy has recommended, try a 92%argon/8%co2 or a 90%argon/10%co2 in place of the 75%ar/25%co2. It will depend on which mix or similar mix is popular in your area. The higher argon content will yield a hotter arc. You might even get .030" ER70S-6 into the spray mode.

Comment

wire size

i have used nothing but .025 sence i got gass havent tryed .030 yet as i dont have anything thick enough for it im mostly running on 10 gage or smaller. lots of art'sy stuf with my plasma cutter Decrative tables ( POW * MIA ) and soon some security screen doors.
                  you're wire size realy depends on what you are working on. keep a stash of tips handy( i have about 7-10 of all .025,.030,.035) you can always change as they will use the same gass just change out the tip and run.
                  P.S looks like youre first project will be the same 1 as mine was (a welder stand )
                  thanks for the help
                  ......or..........
                  hope i helped
                  sigpic
                  summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                  JAMES

Comment

Hi Andy, Hawk and James,

Thanks for everything (I cant say that enough) I will go look for the wire locally, but last time I was there I did not see any lincoln or hobart wires. Hey have no name brands but I have no clue if they are good or not. Oh, is it cheaper to buy online for wire VS to buy locally? Oh James, I actually have a cart that I purchased (got a deal on it), but it does not fit the machine well I would have to kinda modify it a bit so that the machine will sit in properly. But I will start on those as soon as I have the 230v outlet, gas tank and wire then I am going to start welding..im excited!

Is it ok for me to post some of my beads when I do get the chance to weld? and you pros can tell me what im doing wrong, cuz I can tell you that im a beginner..with barely any experience! hahaha..

Oh, one thing...im planning on buying a Hobart machine cover. I dont know if they are good or not..any opinions?

Thanks again for all the help, I appriciate and respect everyone's inputs..

best regards,
                    cleaver
                    newbi welder

Comment

Cleaver,

Post some pictures when you get going. We'd love to see them. I've never used the Hobart covers, but am sure they are nice.

Comment

wire online

cleaver i think you will find that wire will be too expensive to ship so if it is cheap to buy after shipping it will be about the same or a little more. but if you cant get good wire localy you may have no choice.

PS i too have never seen a hobart cover so i cant say if any good or not, ask youre dealer if he can order you in 1 to see if you like it befor you buy.
                        thanks for the help
                        ......or..........
                        hope i helped
                        sigpic
                        JAMES

Comment

ahhh...oki, ill go and look this weekend about the wires and the cover, ill go and ask my local dealer...see how much it would cost!
                          thanks again and I will definitly post some pics once I get it going! hahaha..
                          newbi welder

Comment

Working...
                          X