maxstar 85s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• maxstar 85s

any one know anything about this machine miller site wont tell me anything?is it too old,or too small for miller to list on there site?
    should i assume its 85 amp top end as the max150 is 150amps.any specs would be nice.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped
    sigpic
    feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

This should get you most of what you need.

Hope this helps.

Andy

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o2234a_mil.pdf

Comment

thank took a wile to download but helped.
      thanks for the help
      ......or..........
      hope i helped
      sigpic
      summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
      JAMES

Comment

maxstar 85s

I currently own one of these machines. I purchased it approximately 10 months ago. I have used it for a couple of big projects and countless small ones, it has worked flawlessly. It will burn tiny rod at about 10 amps. It burns 3/32 hot. No need to be wide open. You will need a 20 amp 120volt breaker, make sure you have this option before buying. (sometimes if you have an older breaker box, these 20amp breakers are unavaliable). It will not run a tig torch, as I have tried, (H80N suggested). The arc starts then quits, there is a process switch on the 140 and also 150. At the shop where I work we have a 140, i took it apart to figure out why it failed. The answer? A small sensor for the fan failed, yup burndown. A $2 part and the entire unit is a doorstop. Mine is bypassed to run the fan all the time. I would recomend this if you happen to find a used unit either the 85s or 140.(Fronius built units). If you have any questions on this don't hesitate. cheers.

Cheers, and
        are we there yet?

Comment

sorry to bring this old old post back up again..but I was curious if anyone has played with a maxstar 91? reason I ask is that someone at ebay is selling it and im interested in purchasing it. I will be using it as a TIG machine (Eventhought I have never tigged before). Someone pointed out to me that the duty cycle is only 20% which only gives me 2 mintues of welding time and I need to rest. My question is that with 20% duty cycle, is that sufficent enough? I understand that I cant weld thick stuff with this, but does anybody know how thick can I weld?

Thank you in advance...

best regards,
          cleaver
          newbi welder

Comment

cleaver,

An 85-90 amp machine will weld roughly 3/32" material. If you want to bevel and multipass, then 1/8" is achievable. Either way you are at the top end and have the short duty cycle. Why don't you take a look at the Maxstar 150 or even 200 if you need DC only? The Dynasty 200 series offers AC and DC. The AC is typically used for aluminum and magnesium.

The 91 was intended for much thinner material and was not designed ot weld the thicker stuff. Most of the ones I have seen are 1 phase 120 volt machines. I have also this or a very similar machine in a 3 phase 460 volt power input. Check before you buy.

Comment

Hi Hawk!

Price is a BIG factor! hahaha...dont have much money to spend on a welding machine. I was thinking of something small first to learn TIG and if I really want it..then maybe I can upgrade. I will be buying a MIG aswell so my plan was to use TIG for thin stuff (like 16ga tubing and such and for thicker materials I use a MIG (looking into getting the HH180/175/MM175). I do dream of getting the Dynasty...but I dont have the $$ sorry!

I was looking at the Maxstar 140 aswell, I heard good things about those from MAC. He had it before and he said it peformed well. How much are the TIG torches, like for example if I were to buy either the Maxstar91 or 140, they dont come with a tig torch and whatever is needed...it only comes with the electrode holder and the ground clamp. What do I need and how much will it cost for me to setup to a TIG? Sorry about this, I dont know much about tig.

regards Hawk
              newbi welder

Comment

torches $$$

if you are bying a used power sorce like the maxstar 91 you will spend more on your tig setup than you did on the box.you are looking at spending around $600.00 to get set up for tig.you might look into a package deal on a maxstar 150 with contractor kit (tig setup)on the net some realy nice prices out there on the hole package.around $1000.00 new in the box with warenty.i have used this company for my mig and my plasma cutter had it at my dore in 3 days.

http://www.andale.com/stores/sf_item...0&parentCatId=

i have also herd good things abou this comp.

http://www.brwelder.com/indextemplat...&SubCategory=3

if you need to save $$$ you will most likely need to buy on line you will still be able to get youre local dealer to do warenty work 4 you. my local dealer is going to teach me to tig after store houres if i get my machine from him and that is well werth spending a little more to get better local service .it is all about what you afford .if you can buy local if not you will still need youre local store for consumables and im shoure youre local dealer will be happy to help you even if you buy off the net eather way you will soon be needing him.
                good luck i hope this helped!
                happy welding
                thanks for the help
                ......or..........
                hope i helped
                sigpic
                JAMES

Comment

150 STL

Cleaver, I would be hesitant about buying ANY used peice of eletronic equipment on ebay. You have to realize that any welding unit not built in North America will not be servicable here. The reason is that you have to buy the ENTIRE board if repairs are nessesary. We have a 140 at work and its dead because of a sensor failure. I'm somewhat of a "do anything" kind of person, and I tell you that when trying to find the main ic on this particular board, it's hopeless. Board cost: 800cnd. Manufactured: Austria. English: the darn thing ain't worth fixing! PS: I sold my 85s to a co-worker for $250cnd and ordered the 150stl. Buy the 150stl new, you get three years warranty, good deal!!(made in usa) We are a dealer and I'm familiar with the pricing. Shop around, at $1000US you should be able to get this welder cheaper in Canada. (factor in:exchange, any duty, gst, pst). cheers.

Cheers, and
                  are we there yet?

Comment

hi fun4now and 1fasbu,

So basically dont buy huh? Ok then..hahaha, I dont know much about the machines thats why so I will listen to the pros!

I was looking at the Maxstar150, but if I spend that much already, why dont I get a Squarewave 180SD? so I can also do aluminum? Because here locally (at KMS tools), they retail the 180SD for around $2000cnd, and the Maxstar for around $1500cnd. It sucks that price is my main concern here, and of course I wanna learn how to TIG. Someone told me to get a small inverter machine (like 80amps max) and just buy a tig torch with the gas line and the gas tank and regulators and start tigging. I can set one up like that for around $200usd, which is in my range. I know im limited on what I can do because of the max amprage on these cheaper alternative, but how I see it is that if I can start learning how to TIG..why now right? then ill upgrade later!

oh...1fasbu, what part is needed for the Maxstar 140? If you dont mind telling me can you give me the IC part number? what kind of an IC is it? I work for an electronic repair shop, and maybe I can locate it for you...

well, thats all I can say..I am actually inbetween deciding which one to get a MIG or a TIG??!?!

For a mig, I am looking to spend on a HH180 (I have purchased a cheap one before already and sold it) so now im ready to spend a little more...so if I can find around the same range of a TIG machine, ill consider it or am I hopeless?!?

Thanks again everybody for all the help, much appriciated!

regards,
                    cleaver
                    newbi welder

Comment

mig

i bought my mig on line got a great price hobart is part of miller now so im shoure they are fine machines i compared the too befor buying my miller .i found i could get a miler on line for less than i coul get a hobart localy .small quality upgrades in the miller . if you are straped for $$mayby buy small and make youre welder pay for its replacement. i have herd that the smaller amp stick welders wont push a tig setup.
                      bummer i gota go ill get back to you this afternoon. but you might look into migs on the web.bolth of the companys i listed carry them even if you just use them to get a better deal at your local dealer mayby he can work with you a little on his price.

happy welding
                      thanks for the help
                      ......or..........
                      hope i helped
                      sigpic
                      JAMES

Comment

cleaver,

After reading your post through a few more times I must agree with fun4now and recommend the Maxstar 150STL. If you don't want the kit, then buy the basic unit which comes with the machine, ground and stinger cable assemblies, and tig torch adapter for a #17 or #9 torch. You can pick up one of these torches and scrounge up a regulator for $100 USD. You can use lift arc TIG without a remote with this set up. Save up and get the remote later. I can buy the basic set up for $750 USD. I think you will have too much money and too many problems invested in the 91.

Comment

what are you welding

may i ask what you are welding ? if you are looking at the hh180 you are aware that it is a 220v machine . never been to can. so dont know what power you have there (germany only has 220).
                          thanks for the help
                          ......or..........
                          hope i helped
                          sigpic
                          JAMES

Comment

max VS syncrowave

i played with that same choice. decided i wanted ac for aluminum but it is a choice you're work or personal feelings have to make.the syncrowave will give you ac and last you forever as its a transformer type. the maxstar is inverter based power sorce so it will caust you less to rum (electric bill)but you wont get to do aluminum . do you need or just realy want aluminum ? somthing to think about when you have saved up for a tig or to know how much to save up.
                            good luck and happy welding
                            thanks for the help
                            ......or..........
                            hope i helped
                            sigpic
                            JAMES

Comment

Hi Everyone,

I didnt notice that people have been replying back! I never got an email msg...hehehe, sorry for not replying so soon.

Anyways, back to the subject. I understand that the HH180 requires a 220v plug. I will be getting a 220V plus in the garage, hopefully soon (in a few weeks). I also got a welding helmet ordered too! I already have the gloves and a cart aswell but no welding machine! hahaha! (and of course no tank). Oh, electricity is the same for both United States and Canada.

Reason why I want AC is because of the fact that I dont want to be limited in the things that I can do. My welding will only be a hobby, but hopefully I can make stuff and sell it to get my money back too! I was hoping to make an exhaust piping, Turbo manifold (using sch40 pipe 1.5"), Intercooler endtanks, a bench, bench grinder stand, and other little things (household stuff). I am not planning on building a house so I dont need a super heavy duty one! hehe...

Thats the reason why I want AC, is so that I dont be limited in the work I do, eventhought I have never tried tigging before I dont even know how it really works...all I understand is that you crate a puddle with the torch and you put the filler and move slowly..hahaha, no clue why there is a remote on these machines.

Anyhoo, I have a few questions regarding TIG. I was told that since the process is longer that you need a bigger tank? If so, what size? someone told me to get rougly around 80CF. Also, that TIG is harder to do out of position welding? (like for example fixing exhaust on a car, will the puddle drop on me?) Time is not a factor if it will take longer than a MIG. In the future, I would like to have both (a tig and a mig machine), its just I wanna buy one for now but cant decide which one to get.

I am sorry for the long post, I tend to do this alot and ask alot of questions. Sorry again..

best regards,
                              cleaver
                              newbi welder

Comment

Working...
                              X