Air Carbon Arc Gouging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Carbon Arc Gouging

Would I cause any damage to my machine, a Miller Trailblazer 250G, if I would be to use it for occassional carbon arc gouging using 3/16" or smaller carbons? I have heard all the horror stories about it damaging the smaller machines no matter what carbons you use.
    Any comments would be appreciated!
    Chris

As long as the welder seems comfortable with it and you stay within the duty cycle you woun't have any problem.

Comment

cnslmva,

I agree with thehat: Occasional gouging won't hurt the machine. I think 3/16" will push that machine to the max. Carbon arc gouging is basically a dead short on the machine. It is very hard on the generator armature.

The 301G is rated at 3/16 CAC and I have run 1/4" carbons with it. However, I would not feel comfortable buying that machine to do daily or even weekly gouging.

Comment

3/16" carbons do push it to the max. I hope that my Spectrum 625 can handle most of my gouging requirements, with the Trailblazer serving in a pinch with the ArcAir torch every once in a while. I was just curious as to how the machine would take it.

Andy, any suggestions from the tech guys?
        Chris

Comment

I've had the 625 since January and you could not give me a carbon arc set up now!! Everytime I use it I am impressed. It is like using an Oxy/Act torch with no preheating. You just push the button and cut. I regularly cut the heads off of 1/2" bolts ( 3/4" size) and they have mortar on them. The Plasma arc is so hot it melts the mortar next to the steel. If you have ever cut around mortar/concrete with a torch you know how much it pops and stalls your cut.

Comment

sometimes you don't want to cut all the way thru something. Maybe like repairing a bad weld then the carbon arc or a flame gouge would do the trick. I don't think with ocasional use you would have any problems with your mach. I've done it plenty of times in the past even "Y'd" two machines of that size together to do heavier gouging. Would'nt make it a steady practice tho. revpol

Comment

Working...
            X