Experience - the great Teacher...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hawk,

I'd never embarass a Trailblazer by bolting it in the back of Dirty Harry! Had to apologize to the 135...

Kidding aside, thanks to guys like you and a bunch of others, I'm really into this craft. Good thing my marriage is solid.

Be well.

hankj
    ...from the Gadget Garage
    Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
    Handler 210 w/DP3035
    TA185TSW
    Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

Comment

klsm54
      point well taken on strength... which is why that little machine is only used for light quick repairs.. 30A on the Trailblazer 301G Mobile and MM200 back at the shop take care of the bulk in the mig dept... one additional point that should be made about small gauge fluxcore mig wire... is the cost per pound of actual metal deposited is much higher than solid core wire... most of it goes up in smoke or is left as slag on the weldment... but for convenience under the right conditions it sure has earned a place in my work.....
      Thanks
      Heiti

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
      Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
      Dynasty 200DX
      Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
      Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

caust per lb. befor it burns off or turns to slag is much higher for flux. about 4X as much where i live still it has its place or our beloved miller would not provide us with so many wonderfull blue boxes willing to step up to the plate.
        and for them and manny more we thank them!!!
        thanks for the help
        ......or..........
        hope i helped
        sigpic
        feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
        summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
        JAMES

Comment

Talk about cost per pound...
          My supplier recently switched to the red brand of wire. I didn't notice a price increase as expected. When I got back to the shop I noticed the size difference. I paid the same for a 1lb. red spool as I was for a 2lb. Hobart spool!!!
          This last time, I went to another supplier who only stocks Hobart. Got a spare spool of .035 flux core and a 10lb of .030 E70S-6. It pays sometimes to stay brand loyal, IMO.

Don
          Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
          '06 12RC feeder
          Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
          Esab Multimaster 260
          Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

sonds like you're supplyer needs to think of his customer and ask b4 changing prouduct brands on them or he may soon have no customers to ask next time.

happy welding
            james
            thanks for the help
            ......or..........
            hope i helped
            sigpic
            summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
            JAMES

Comment

Originally posted by hankj
              Hawk,

I'd never embarass a Trailblazer by bolting it in the back of Dirty Harry! Had to apologize to the 135...

Kidding aside, thanks to guys like you and a bunch of others, I'm really into this craft. Good thing my marriage is solid.

Be well.

hankj
              hnakj,

welding and NASCAR can ruin a marriage. A friend of mine recently said "Sometimes they (the wife) can understand another woman easier than they can understand welding and/or NASCAR". If you are reading this forum you will know who you are.

Comment

understanding wife

im lucky enough to have a wife that colects dolls. wile i think its a lot of $$ for a foolish toy im shoure she feels the same about my welding.the good part is that wile she collects them, makes close for them, and plays with them. she is happy to let me run off to my shop and my 1st ooops 2nd love my blue boxes

happy with 2 loves
                james
                thanks for the help
                ......or..........
                hope i helped
                sigpic
                JAMES

Comment

DDA52.....I think your distributor who sold you the Red stuff made a mistake. Which is very possible, we distributors have been selling 2# spools of solid and flux-cored steel wires for years and now somebody comes along and puts it on 1# spools, old habits die hard.

Anyway I did a check on my distributor costs and List prices on Hobart vs. Red wire. They bounce around a lot, my cost on some configurations of the Hobart is less, on some it is more. On .030 x 1 and 2 lb spools the Red wire costs me quite a bit less per pound than the Hobart, but the Red list is a little higher. On .035 x 1 and 2 lb. spools, Hobart has a lower cost and list, but nowhere near half the price of the Red wire. When I compared 10# spools of .035 the distributor cost advantage goes back to Red, but the list prices are very comparable.

So one of two things has happened at your distributor. Either they have made an honest mistake, I like to think this is the case. Or, they are trying to pull a fast one and think that you won't notice the difference since you are paying the same price for a spool,even though one has only half as much product, and putting that extra money in their pockets.

If it was me, and I dealt regularly at the distributor, I would bring it to his attention. You will know by his reaction which scenario applied and can use this information when deciding where to deal in the future.

Comment

DDA52:
                    I've had similar experience and took the invoices to the supplier and just came clean, I have bought the same-in differerent label and the price is way different is this a mistake or new pricing that you were not aware of. Give him the option to make it right because then you know your improtance and don't get mad just thank him for his time and leave quietly, and don't return!!!

This is politics and not necessarily fair tactics but if you show him a mistake and he chooses not to fix it then he looses a valuable asset a customer.

I'll repeat don't get mad be nice and polite and leave. One day you may need something just before they close and that is the only answer and you would not want him to remember something bad and stick it to you later.

My opinion and its worth asking, this can be win-win but you have to ask, good luck.

Comment

klsm54
                      I did ask and was basically told where to get off and what to do when there! That is one of the reasons I'm really considering switching after 11 yrs. Their prices for solid wire are spot on with everyone else. It's the red flux core that they went nuts on. I also checked the price on 10lb spools of flux core. It was cheaper everywhere else, including Home Depot. ( Depot was about $18 cheaper!) I really don't mind paying more as long as there is some kind of trade off.... better service, deals or atleast willing to discuss price or something that sets them apart from every other dealer. Not the case here. Service is another story. When I would ask about repair for my Bobcat 225G, the ONLY response I would get is that the machine is not servicible because of its age... "oh and by the way, we're having a sale on new ones this month."
                      Better go back to the original subject before my blood pressure gets any higher!
                      Flux core definitely has a place in my arsenal. Need to change out the solid for f/c tomorrow as a matter of fact. I agree with Cope, it is like stick in the way it acts and in appearance. Must be why I like it.

Don

Blood pressure is better now.
                      Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
                      '06 12RC feeder
                      Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
                      Esab Multimaster 260
                      Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

pj
                        Saw your post when mine hit. I agree completely. They are the only dealer on that side of town that is open on SAt., so I just might be back. I won't close my acct , I'll just finish up my cyls and turn them in. They won't know any different and won't care anyway. Who knows, someday they might straighten up and grow some "customer service!"

Don
                        Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
                        '06 12RC feeder
                        Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
                        Esab Multimaster 260
                        Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

DDA52:
                          That is a good call and if you drop in a ways down the road they might have missed you, you never know.

Comment

Sorry about your experiences with your distributor DDA52. If that is the attitude they have, I would be looking elsewhere too. I also agree with pj on the way to handle it. I believe whole heartedly in never burning bridges. From a distributor viewpoint, over the years, there a lot of customers that left our company, for one reason or another, that have now come back. We also have had vendors that we have quit buying from, again for whatever reason, and now some of them are back and our our best vendors. Twenty years has seen a lot of coming and going, I like to think that a lot of that is because, whenever possible, we have parted on good terms.

There is nothing to be gained, other that short term satisfaction, from telling the distributor what you really think. After all, the ultimate power you have over him is to stop spending money at his business. If you do it peaceably and civil, you can always go back. While you may never foresee that now, circumstances change, distributors change hands, people quit or retire, attitudes change. This can be for the good, or possibly for the worse at the distributor you decide to switch to. That is why it is best to leave your options open.

Comment

klsm54
                              slightly off subject... may I ask where in Pa you are located??
                              we are on the top just a mile south of the NY border.. can email me offline if you like.. email address is listed in profile...
                              Thanks
                              Heiti

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                              Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                              Dynasty 200DX
                              Millermatic 200

Comment

hankj
                                my TrailBlazer 301G resides on the back of the saddest rustiest looking Dodge Dakota4x4.. until I have the time to set up the GMC diesel dually with covered utility body...(which sits in the driveway till I have time) so bet that "Dirty Harry" is a showpiece in comparison... go ahead.. plunk a TB on him... 8-}
                                Heiti

My Blue Stuff:
                                Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                                Dynasty 200DX
                                Millermatic 200

Comment

Working...
                                X