Experience - the great Teacher...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experience - the great Teacher...

Everything I'd heard or read about GMAW says "...poor in high wind or drafty...", but my neighbor wanted some stall panels welded on his corral, and my generator is too small for the buzz box, so I loaded the generator and the MM135 into Dirty Harry and headed to the corral. About a 13mph breeze. It's true! Lousy beads. Turned up the gas - still lousy. Switched to the flux-core (Fabshield 23) for the first time - that stuff is GREAT! Nice beads, and you can really see without the gas nozzle on the gun. (Actually remembered to switch polarity)

Sometimes I envy you guys who already know this stuff, but MAN it's fun learnin'!!

Be well.

hankj
    ...from the Gadget Garage
    Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
    Handler 210 w/DP3035
    TA185TSW
    Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

You mean I don't need to use that bulky ring when using flux core? That'll make fillet welds a lot easier.

Where do ya'll measure stickout, from the gas shield or from the tip? What do you suggest for flux core (mm135)?

Thanks
    At a certain point in every project, it comes time to shoot the engineers and build the d*** thing.

Comment

So often you hear about someone on a sailboat getting stalled for lack of wind. I have figured out that if I ever bought a sailboat I would carry three things with me. A Mig Welder, a TIG Welder and a can of spray paint. Pick up any of the above and the wind will blow. I think you are going aginist nature with flux core, watch out for lightening!

Comment

flux core does come in handy, so handy that i keep one of my welders set up just for flux, and use it for quick repairs when away from home

Comment

kadahm,

Welcome to the fray. You'll love it here. Great bunch, with a lot of know-how that they're willing to share.

Figure stick-out from the tip. I was using .035 flux-core and trying to hold stick-out at 3/8' or so. Seemed to work fine.

Be well.

hankj
          ...from the Gadget Garage
          Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
          Handler 210 w/DP3035
          TA185TSW
          Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

Comment

10-4 hankj

Always figure stick out from the tip.

Also, when going back to hard wire, clean out the spatter from the gas diffuser if there is any. The diffuser can be screwed off the gun and cleaned out with a tip cleaner or tiny drill bit by hand.

Have fun!

A-

Comment

flux

i been using .030 in my mm135 with great results. only prob iv had is gota keep turnin it down as it always exceeds my expectatoins. on a cuppel of times becoming a plasma cutter of sorts lol.turn it down and have a blast. lucky for me it fills as well as it cuts
              thanks for the help
              ......or..........
              hope i helped
              sigpic
              feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
              summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
              JAMES

Comment

hankj,

Flux Core definitely has its pluses! It is a great all position wire. It runs easily on uphill verticals and irregular angles. I'm glad you like it. Just think how easy it would have been if you had a Miller Trailblazer mounted in the truck bed! Just kidding!

Comment

Originally posted by kdahm
                  You mean I don't need to use that bulky ring when using flux core? That'll make fillet welds a lot easier.

Where do ya'll measure stickout, from the gas shield or from the tip? What do you suggest for flux core (mm135)?

Thanks
                  I ran some .030 flux core through the new Hobart Handler 140 and was pleased with the reults. Its almost like using a rod with stick.

Comment

hankj and all
                    have a couple of 115v Brand X Migs one of which is dedicated to .030 E71T-GS Fluxcore for quick light repairs... and runs without the gas nozzle... Spatter buildup is pretty mean.. some of which can burn into and bond to the gas diffuser and collar.. if you are going to run a lot of fluxcore without the nozzle.. take the time to clean the torch often and spray it down with one of the antispatter sprays... the nozzle protects the front end of the torch from this stuff.... even though it gets into the way.. Makes no difference on this particular machine as I do not plan on running it with regular wire and gas... but for you guys that are switching back and forth.. it will be worth your while to clean and protect the torch...
                    hope this helps
                    Heiti

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                    Dynasty 200DX
                    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
                    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Experience- Heiti

Heiti,

Based on what you said I will use the nozzle if I ever use flux core. Could I compromise by trimming maybe a 1/4 " off a nozzle to be used for flux core only? Maybe just enough to see the tip.

From all the posts I've read it's a real advantage to be able to see the action but not at the expense of trashing the tip and diffuser.

moe1942

Comment

Re: Experience- Heiti

[QUOTE]Originally posted by moe1942
                        [B]Heiti,

Could I compromise by trimming maybe a 1/4 " off a nozzle to be used for flux core only? Maybe just enough to see the tip.

would be just as easy to just keep an extra adapter and tip for flux. you probubly have 1 or 2 around anyway if you are anything like me i keep lots of expendables around to keep from getting caught short. then you get full view and dont need to wory about splater cloging your adapter ( part # 169 716)
                        well thats what i do just a thought.
                        good luck and enjoy

thanks for the help
                        ......or..........
                        hope i helped
                        sigpic
                        feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
                        summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                        JAMES

Comment

Just a thought. Why not buy an extra diffuser and keep it just for running flux-cored wire?

I would still spray it well with anti-spatter, but it would be really simple when going back to gas to switch back to one that you know isn't all plugged up with spatter.

Comment

Experience

Thanks for helping me think. That makes a lot more sense than my suggestion. I don't have any spare diffusers but will rectify that. I have read a lot of posts here and there, and find more favorable than unfavorable comments about flux core. Since I have to weld outside that may be my salvation. Either that or fab a welding curtain...

moe1942

Comment

I have quite a few cutomers that spend considerable time building "windbreaks" so that they can MIG weld in the field.

Self Shielded, Flux-cored wires are very convenient and are great for many applications, but the small diameter self shielded wires leave a lot to be desired in mechanical properties for many applications.

A typical ER70S-6 wire, welded with 75%Ar/25%CO2 will have the following mechanical properties:

Tensile Strength 86,000 psi
                              Yield Strength 72,000 psi
                              Elongation 27%
                              Charpy V-Notch 67 ft. lbs at -20 F

When you look at ER71T-GS you will not find elongation or impact values, although Tensile and yield are similar, maybe even better.

Some manufacturers do not reccommend self shielded wire in repairing stressed weldments or high impact parts. Of course with Flux cored, gas shielded wire, even better properties are possible than with the solid mig wires.

I am not knocking the self shielded wires, just cautioning those who use them to be certain they are not substituted in an application they are not suited for.

Comment

Working...
                              X