Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SoCalTA
    replied
    I too thought that might have been an issue but I am working with a standard sheet of AL from a local metal store. I also checked my Al wire to make sure I didn't buy some wacky variety. After reading all the posts I am starting to believe that I had too much pressure, poor surface cleaning and too much of a draft.

Thanks again to all who offered their input.

Leave a comment:

• Andy249
    replied
    And if all that fails, try and make sure that the MIG wire you are using is a compatible grade of Ally to that of your parent metals, not to say that it is impossible to weld, but it can certainly make it a lot harder.

A welder at the place that I was working put a silicon based wire in for welding marine grade alloy and he has all sorts of fun trying to get it running right!! In the end I think he ended up welding everything in the flat position.

Just a thought.

Andy249

Leave a comment:

• SoCalTA
    replied
    Thanks all for your help. From reading what you have suggested I have found a few things I did not take care of. My garage was in all instances drafty. I now minimize that. I didn't know about the larger tip so I will make that change ASAP. I purchased the Acetone and will use that to clean in addition to the die grinder. I have also lowered the tank pressure to about 17. I will give all these changes a try next time and let you all know if it solved my troubles.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Seaman
    replied
    SoCalTA:
    Went to the garage today and dug out some 1/8" wall 1-1/4" square tubing and lo and behold I had the same problem then it hit me, I was pulling the puddle. With mig and aluminum you have to push the puddle to minimize the overheating in the puddle. I think if you push the puddle you'll have better luck, not to say you wont need to turn down the heat for your particular travel speed today I did turn down to tap 3, wirespeed 70 for the normal crown today I am relaxed and a little slower.

If you would like I'll email you pics of some beads I ran but I cant get them to the forum.

Leave a comment:

• SoCalTA
    replied
    Guys ..

Question here .. If it is blowing an opening or flattening the weld wouldnt one intuitively think that its too much heat? I mean when I am trying my welding and an opening appears I would think that the heat is way to much for the metal. Just thinking/talking out loud if you will.

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    We all learn as we go along... and maybe our mistakes help us learn even more.. if we admit to them and share.. then maybe we can help others to avoid some of ours......
    Heiti

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    OVERSIZE TIP...

Guys
    for what it is worth.. had not done much MIG of aluminum in several years...(prefer TIG) when I bought the Trailblazer 301G and 30A spoolgun in november... went to do an emergency job for a local garage on their AL rollback body... my first welds were so much worse than the pics posted... that my description would not be suitable to post on this forum.. to put it politely.. they were ugly... turned the argon way up.. because the welds alternated between burn through and carbon covered mess,,... zero improvement... Finally remembered about the expansion... installed a larger tip on the 30A... and the welds were pretty and solid... just BRAIN FADE on my part...
    never to old to learn ... or to pay attention to past experience...
    hope this helps
    Heiti

Leave a comment:

• Paul Seaman
    replied
    I agree with Heiti it looks like not enough gas and not enough heat or the feed wheels are slipping or both. I had totally forgotten about using one size larger tip than the wire size, my appologies that was a big one when I started.

Good luck,

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    SoCalTA
    looking at your pics........... do you have a breeze running through the shop?? gusts may be carrying off the shielding gas on some of these examples... and also.. on aluminum... many times it is wise to go one size larger on mig tips when welding aluminum.. because the AL mig wire will expand and seize up in the tip... causing uneven ..jerky feed.. nother common problem... make sure that the spot where your ground clamp is attached... is freshly ground or power wire brushed just before you attach to weld.. otherwise you are likely to have a faulty ground... and irregular results..
    hope this helps
    Heiti

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    SoCalTA,

It looks like you had a bead started on the right hand side of the base plate. It actually looks too cold. What were your settings for this weld bead? Was your stick out 3/4" to 1" or was the nozzle in close to the material (my guess is in close)? If you can duplicate those settings, do so and use a 3/4" stick out and see if the arc goes to a spray. If not, decrease your wire speed in small increments until it does. Now you will have a good set up and can practice running some beads. Remember to pull back to the 3/4" -1" stick out once the arc is established.

Leave a comment:

• SoCalTA
    replied
    3 of 3

In case the wording doesnt come out clear what I was trying to say was that the beads you see that actually look like a poodle didnt weld them was done using tap/wire speed. Tank pressure remained the same in all trials. I basically used the plasma cutter .. lopped off some 1/8 in thick Al.. cleaned it like Hawk and others suggested (die grinder with that red pad, acetone). I tack welded the the two to create corner. I then ran a series of beads. I had tack welded some thinner stuff earlier and didnt realize that I had not changed the settings. After I ran some beads along the bottom I stopped to look at my settings because for once I was not ending up with liquid Al on my bench. With the tank pressure at 15, I tried using the settings listed on the inside. Once I changed it to that ...well .. you see what happens. I tried going slow ... fast .. same thing.
    Any insight would be great. I want to fabricate and Al battery relocation box and this hurdle is clearly going to slow me down. If you need me to I can take a picture of the back side. On the better looking beads I got a small ridge showing that the metal went through. On the bad looking ones (the ones using the higher tap/speed) I got a wide low ridge on the back side.

many thanks as always to all who help.

Leave a comment:

• SoCalTA
    replied
    2 of 3

Leave a comment:

• SoCalTA
    replied
    1 of 3

Leave a comment:

• SoCalTA
    replied
    PJS,

Yes I have a digi camera. I am headed tomorrow morning to pick up more Al to play with so after I come back and have a chance to run some beads I will post some shots. Be warned that what you might see could seriously damage your vision or cause you really bad stomach pains from laughing.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Seaman
    replied
    SoCalTA;
    Do you have a digi camera? If so send me a pic through the forum maybe I can see something that I've done different or a problem conquered. The machine is set identically to mine so this should work.

Good luck,

Leave a comment:

Working...
X