Chrome?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrome?

Anyone got tip for welding on chrome? I have a chrome bumper that needs the rust removed.
    It's not the voltage that gets you, it's the amps.

I don't recomend doing that. Chromium gas is produced when chrome plated products are welded and chromium gas CAN KILL! I am not an expert on this but I think it is even worse than zinc. SO I would not do it. Maybe you could grind off the chrome?

Comment

iso50
      the chrome must be removed from the area to be welded.. either by grinding it away to clean steel or having it de-plated at a bumper shop.. not sure what you are trying to do here.. are you trying to repair rust pits?? could you give us more info in what you are trying to accomplish???
      as a general rule plating should be removed from any metal to be welded before you strike an arc... some plating like cadmium and zinc(galvanize) will vaporize and make noxious/poisonous fumes... chrome.. which is usually triple plated ... one layer of copper.. covered with a layer of nickel.. and then the final plating of chrome...IT will make a mess if you try to weld through it .... and worse... the mongrel alloy that will be produced will not have the strength of the steel that you used to have....
      Always clean off the plating from the base metal before you weld...
      hope this helps
      Heiti

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
      Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
      Dynasty 200DX
      Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
      Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

There are holes in the bumper from rust, which I would like to repair if possible, otherwise if its to involved, I may look for a replacement bumper.
        It's not the voltage that gets you, it's the amps.

Comment

Iso
          if it is not a rare car... you might find it more cost effective to get a replacement... if the bumper is rusted through in some places then it is probably very thin in a bunch of places... you might call some of the bumper and plating shops in your area to find out how much a replacement might cost.. and then weigh out whether it is worth your time and effort...
          Hope this helps
          Heiti

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
          Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
          Dynasty 200DX
          Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
          Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

I chucked mine and just built one out of 1/4 Al diamond tread, Its overkill but hey that is just me. You can bet they see me comming.
            Peace:

Comment

Working...
            X