X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moe1942
    replied
    Humidity

Another good product to keep rust off of metal objects in drawers or boxes is moth balls. They contain camphor which retards oxidation. I use them in my machinist tool chests to keep my precision tools in good shape.

Thanks to Heiti for adding silica gel (dessicant).

moe1942

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    JWELD
    lots of good suggestions there... the silica gel for consumables as Moe suggested is cheap and easy... if you are unable to find a good local source let me know ... will post some links.. as he says .. the stuff lasts forever..
    hope this helps
    Heiti

Leave a comment:

• Moki
    replied
    I've taken 1" PVC pipe 3" long and glued a cap to one end and a threaded end and screw cap on the other end. Makes a great place to store tig consumables and really cheap. (thrifty) I label the outside with a permanent marker and drop a desicant bag inside for summer humidity.

Leave a comment:

• moe1942
    replied
    Humidity

JWELD,

Hawk gave you some good tips. I live two hours south in Alex and have fought this problem forever. If your shop is well insulated and your floor has a vapor barrier underneath, it is easier to control.

A big no-no is to open doors or windows when it rains or humidity is very high. Thats a no win situation.

I got a small frig out of an RV for storing rods and other components. They are super insulated. Putting a small bulb inside like Hawk suggested really prolongs the life of rods.

Also, I bought a gallon can of dessicant years ago and put it in screw bags. These I put in weldersrod cans, tool chest drawers etc.
    When it starts turning pink I put it on a pie plate and bake it until it turns blue again. That stuff lasts forever.

I wish you well.

moe1942

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    JWELD

Humidity is hard on your consumables. It will cause your stick electodes to degrade quicker and cause considerable corrosion on MIG and TIG fillers. You can purchase a dehumidifier and place in your shop. I had one several years ago -actually 25 - and it wouold draw out a couple gallons of water a day. They can be found at Sears for $200-$300.

Take care in your consumables storage. Use an old refrigerator and place a 60 watt light bulb inside that burns around the clock. The heat will cause the air to circulate within the box and reduce the amount of moisture. I store some specialty rods in plastic tubes with o-rings seals and throw in a few packs of dessicant. Most shoes and some other items, radios, vcs, coffee pots, etc. are shipped with silica gel packs to help keep them dry. I just scarf them up and drop them into my rod containers.

Humidity is also hard on your equipment. If you don't run it every week, then I would probably fire it up for a good 30 minutes once a week to help burn out any mositure that may be lurking. This will also give you some additional arc time. I really enjoy welding with my Dynasty when its just for fun or a neighbor down the street. I weld so much for money that I've forgotten how good it feels to do something for myself or one of my neighbors that's a freebie.

Speaking of which I have an old aluminum dock plate in shop to finish up-fortunately for money. It may take a couple of hours. I wish you well on your new found problem.

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic Humidity in Weld Shop

Humidity in Weld Shop

I guess this relates to "our" forum.
    I recently moved from Phoenix to Louisiana. Lived here years ago so I knew what to expect regarding the humidity.
    What effects does extreme humidity have on consumables/equipment and what steps can I take to minmize the negative effects.

Can any of you give me some tips on de-humdifying my shop short of a full a/c unit. Shop is 800 square feet. I know "I am Blessed", have lived in a one car garage shop for 30 years.

Any help is much a appreciated.

Thanks

P.S. Am I the only one that reads this forum at odd hours??
Working...
X