Tourch size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tourch size

I just bought a new SyncroWave 180 SD and if read my previous posts, I am TIG welding together a Chromoly FED (Front Engine Dragster) chassis. Although the SyncroWave is a great machine, it comes with a 150-amp torch and I feel that I should purchase an 80-amp torch for more maneuverability….any thoughts?

PS: The tubing ranges from 5/8" to 1 1/2" dia and a .049 wall thickness
    m

Buzz,

Many people just replace the head to a smaller one. The handle on the torch pulls back and the head screws off. This way you don't have to purchace a whole new torch. Just go down to the local dealer and check out the Weldcraft book for the head size you want. I believe it's a WP9. These are the same size parts as a WP20 watercooled and the head is still rated at 125amps.

Hope this helps

Andy

Comment

Buzz,

Andy is on the money as always! The little WP9 is a 125amp rated air cooled torchcapable of grabbing those tighter spots!

Comment

Dose the 180SD normaly come with a diamond back torch? Because the one that I ordered was used in welding competion for about 4-5 hours and I helped set them up and they had diamond back torches.

Comment

Canuck,

The 180SD comes with 12 foot 150 amp air cooled #17 diamond back. You can get the other Syncros with the #20 water cooled Diamond Back torch and Coolmate in the package deals.

Comment

Don't overlook the short collet body and collet that will fit the 17 torch. You can almost do exactly what a 9 torch will do with a short cup and back cap and the torch will run a little cooler than a 9. A Weldcraft or cee Kay catalog web visit will help. The 9 torch is great but if you want to make what you have work (save $)from a fellow 1320 guy give it a look. Jeff
            200DX 350P 625 Plasma & other stuff I forgot

Comment

Working...
            X