Love ya, Mac. I'm doin' it.

Be well.

hankj

Leave a comment:

• MAC702
    replied
    Originally posted by hankj
    I've got a sweet buzz and a good weld.
    Then don't change anything and get back to work.

Leave a comment:

• hankj
    replied
    Hey, guys. I'm confused. (Nothing new.) What's the issue? I don't seem to have problems with the way the machine (135) welds, and I guess I can't grasp the importance(?) of knowing the "real" parameters if I've got a sweet buzz and a good weld. When Andy answered my questions about tracking, I believed him and got on with it. Bad boy??

What am I missing? Have I had too many Martoonis?

Be well gang.

hankj

Leave a comment:

• cymax
    replied
    no just volt meter
    i am welding 3/16

what i do is
    i set up the voltage first then incrace the wire speed until i reach my desired arc voltage
    sp from the volt amp chart in the user manual you see that you get 20 volts and 160 amp at setting 7 on the voltage pot
    then i increace my wire speed until i get 20 volt accross the work peice.

i beleive that for c25 voltage pot would be around 5 don't know for wire speed since don't have c25 to work with right now

Leave a comment:

• Danny
    replied
    Originally posted by cymax
    OK this is for all of you that have problems with the wire speed tracking
    i think i have found the solution

i made a couple of beds today with .030 wire and co2 i decided to use to volt amp chart of the mm175 and it gave me good results

so dan if you can give it a try and let me know how it goes with you meters

for 160 amps my setting with co2 was ~ 55 wire speed and 7 on the voltage side
    my volt meter reads ~20 volts
    let me know
    So, are you tuning the machine in now by using a volt and amp meter?

What material thickness are you welding at 20 volts and 160 amps?

Leave a comment:

• cymax
    replied
    OK this is for all of you that have problems with the wire speed tracking
    i think i have found the solution

i made a couple of beds today with .030 wire and co2 i decided to use to volt amp chart of the mm175 and it gave me good results

so dan if you can give it a try and let me know how it goes with you meters

for 160 amps my setting with co2 was ~ 55 wire speed and 7 on the voltage side
    my volt meter reads ~20 volts
    let me know

Leave a comment:

• hankj
    replied
    I agree with Mac about the feature being good for it's intended market - guys like me. First (and only, to date) MIG machine is a MM135, and I love the thing. Newbee (8 months ago) hobby weldor who could only melt random globs of .030 wire progressing to good multi-pass welds on 3/8 plate - I'm glad to have had wire speed tracking to learn with.

Be well.

hankj

Leave a comment:

• MAC702
    replied
    Ah yes, "heat." Technically, it's the amps that make the heat. But since this is often misunderstood by non-electrical types and since these are constant VOLTAGE machines with a clearly labeled VOLTAGE dial, some beginners think that "heat" is from voltage. And, in a way, that's correct because greater voltage can drive more amps, producing more heat. But an increase in wirespeed directly causes amperage (and therefore, heat) to increase at a given voltage setting (which is a relative scale because it will drop a little to compensate (a transformer thing, but we're getting ahead of ourselves...))

ANYWAY, don't be too hard on the help. One may have been trying more to use the terms you wanted to use and the other was using more correct terms.

For someone who is doing the kind of welding where you feel you need to know exact wirespeed, amperage, voltage, etc., the MM175 is not for you. It's wire speed tracking is a great feature for the market it is designed for.

Leave a comment:

• cymax
    replied
    dan i don't know ask the tech rep at miller
    i have to call my welding supply store to see if they can lend me a c25 botle for a couple of days to give it a try

i wondre by how much does the wire speed slow down when you have the voltage pot set at 5 for example ?

there should be a relation
    ei at 50% and voltage pot at 10 = ~350 ipm
    at 5 what would it be etc

Leave a comment:

• Danny
    replied
    Originally posted by cymax
    hello andy
    no i will not give you my serial number of my machine i think that day someput something in my coffe .
    i just talked to a tech rep at miller
    he told me that insted of changing the voltage i should change only the wire speed
    this is somewhat confusing now
    you say one thing he says something else

so plz tell me what to do
    i was alwas under the impression that the voltage controlled the heat and that the wire speed controlled tha amps of the machine
    now i am being told that the wire speed controls the heat
    all this controll seams to make my head spin

none the less the upgrade to the 210 will be in several month from now.
    Cymax,

Make things easy for yourself, for $50 to $100 you can get a clamp on DC amp meter from Sears. Hook an amp and volt meter up to the machine an have someone dial in the machine to output the voltage and amperage that you are looking for as a starting point for the material thickness you are welding. After this you can lightly fine tune the settings.

Question, if you are only suppose to play with the wire speed setting why have a variable volt control? As you increase the amperage output (wire speed) the voltage output is going to drop so in some cases you are going to need to increase the voltage too, especially since you are using CO2, which is a little more finicky to tune a machine in with.

Leave a comment:

• cymax
    replied
    hello andy
    no i will not give you my serial number of my machine i think that day someput something in my coffe .
    i just talked to a tech rep at miller
    he told me that insted of changing the voltage i should change only the wire speed
    this is somewhat confusing now
    you say one thing he says something else

so plz tell me what to do
    i was alwas under the impression that the voltage controlled the heat and that the wire speed controlled tha amps of the machine
    now i am being told that the wire speed controls the heat
    all this controll seams to make my head spin

none the less the upgrade to the 210 will be in several month from now.

Leave a comment:

• moe1942
    replied
    Wire tracking

Mac702,

Thanks for the feedback, and I too am a true blue fan.

I have always been partial to "Blue" but really became a fan when they helped me with my antique(1961) AEA-200-L engine driven welder. That is service after the sale.

In case anyone is curious why I have a new welder and haven't used it; I weld outside my shop on a slab under a cover and the weather has been very wet and cold. I am itching to start some projects and want to get familiar with this machine before I do. I have gotten great info and help at this forum.

I'm glad to hear your problem is being worked. Would you give us the fix when you get back in business? I plan on printing out info pertinent to my equipment. That way I won't have to ask the same questions.

moe1942

Leave a comment:

• Danny
    replied
    Andy,

Since I can t contact you via E mail could you contact me. I want to pass on some info to you about the MM 175 that I can t post on this forum.

Leave a comment:

• MAC702
    replied
    Re: Wire speed tracking

Originally posted by moe1942
    I am begining to think the MM175 was a bad choice.

I have only used it to make a few tack welds on a Cub engine hood so I haven't really experienced the problems stated.
    Moe, I really would not be worried if I were you. I've used my MM175 quite often in the past two years. I love it. The door chart has always been dead-on.

I am one who had a problem with mine, when the trigger began to stick on. Then, even when the trigger no longer stuck, it would still not disengage. But Andy and Miller are in the process of taking care of me and that's all that really counts. I am a dyed-blue Miller fan, and the customer service that I have received from the Miller technical department is worth its weight in gold. If you have a question that the person on the phone can't answer, THEY WILL TRANSFER YOU TO THE GUY THAT DESIGNED THE MACHINE. You can't get that anywhere else, so like Andy said, if you upgrade, get the MM210.

Leave a comment:

• moe1942
    replied
    Wire speed tracking

Andy,

Thanks for the reply. Between this board and the Hobart board I have read a ton of posts on this subject, mostly negtive. That was the reasoning for my question. I used a MM135 at trade school a few years back and didn't have any trouble.

I have lived long enough to value the advice of experts. I will disregard future posts on the subject. I know I will have more questions but will base them on my own experience.

Incidentally, my ser# is LC654597, purchased in Dec 2003. Is that a new unit or NOS?

Thanks

moe1942

Leave a comment:

Working...
X