No announcement yet.

wire speed traking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah yes, "heat." Technically, it's the amps that make the heat. But since this is often misunderstood by non-electrical types and since these are constant VOLTAGE machines with a clearly labeled VOLTAGE dial, some beginners think that "heat" is from voltage. And, in a way, that's correct because greater voltage can drive more amps, producing more heat. But an increase in wirespeed directly causes amperage (and therefore, heat) to increase at a given voltage setting (which is a relative scale because it will drop a little to compensate (a transformer thing, but we're getting ahead of ourselves...))

ANYWAY, don't be too hard on the help. One may have been trying more to use the terms you wanted to use and the other was using more correct terms.

For someone who is doing the kind of welding where you feel you need to know exact wirespeed, amperage, voltage, etc., the MM175 is not for you. It's wire speed tracking is a great feature for the market it is designed for.

Comment

I agree with Mac about the feature being good for it's intended market - guys like me. First (and only, to date) MIG machine is a MM135, and I love the thing. Newbee (8 months ago) hobby weldor who could only melt random globs of .030 wire progressing to good multi-pass welds on 3/8 plate - I'm glad to have had wire speed tracking to learn with.

Be well.

hankj
      ...from the Gadget Garage
      Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
      Handler 210 w/DP3035
      TA185TSW
      Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

Comment

OK this is for all of you that have problems with the wire speed tracking
        i think i have found the solution

i made a couple of beds today with .030 wire and co2 i decided to use to volt amp chart of the mm175 and it gave me good results

so dan if you can give it a try and let me know how it goes with you meters

for 160 amps my setting with co2 was ~ 55 wire speed and 7 on the voltage side
        my volt meter reads ~20 volts
        let me know

Comment

Originally posted by cymax
          OK this is for all of you that have problems with the wire speed tracking
          i think i have found the solution

i made a couple of beds today with .030 wire and co2 i decided to use to volt amp chart of the mm175 and it gave me good results

so dan if you can give it a try and let me know how it goes with you meters

for 160 amps my setting with co2 was ~ 55 wire speed and 7 on the voltage side
          my volt meter reads ~20 volts
          let me know
          So, are you tuning the machine in now by using a volt and amp meter?

What material thickness are you welding at 20 volts and 160 amps?

Comment

no just volt meter
            i am welding 3/16

what i do is
            i set up the voltage first then incrace the wire speed until i reach my desired arc voltage
            sp from the volt amp chart in the user manual you see that you get 20 volts and 160 amp at setting 7 on the voltage pot
            then i increace my wire speed until i get 20 volt accross the work peice.

i beleive that for c25 voltage pot would be around 5 don't know for wire speed since don't have c25 to work with right now

Comment

Hey, guys. I'm confused. (Nothing new.) What's the issue? I don't seem to have problems with the way the machine (135) welds, and I guess I can't grasp the importance(?) of knowing the "real" parameters if I've got a sweet buzz and a good weld. When Andy answered my questions about tracking, I believed him and got on with it. Bad boy??

What am I missing? Have I had too many Martoonis?

Be well gang.

hankj
              Handler 210 w/DP3035
              TA185TSW

Comment

Originally posted by hankj
                I've got a sweet buzz and a good weld.
                Then don't change anything and get back to work.

Comment

Love ya, Mac. I'm doin' it.

Be well.

hankj
                  Handler 210 w/DP3035
                  TA185TSW

Comment

Working...
                  X