Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HAWK
    iso50,

The Trailblazer is a nice unit. I really liked mine. However, don't take the plunge without looking at the PRO 300D and the Pipe Pro 304! They have some great features to offer. Miller has a lot of good engine drives on the market and I would seriously consider upgrading from the TB301G if you can afford it. The deluxe CC/CV Big 40 looks like great unit also.
    The issue I have is that the Pro 300 and Pipe Pro 304 don't offer AC TIG. The only ones I see that do are: Trailblazer 301's Trailblazer Pro 350D and Big Blue Air Pak.
    It's not the voltage that gets you, it's the amps.

Comment

iso50,

The BIG 40 CC/CV deluxe offers AC. The AC is easy to get around: Add a Dynasty 200DX for your portable TIG work. I much prefer that route and used it even on my TB301. I know it is more cash and I am not knocking the Trailblazer. I just have to tell you after running some arcs with these other engine drives I would not want to go back to the TB. Just check it out and give it some serious thought. I know money can be a consideration for sure!

Comment

I'll be just comming out of school when I would be looking at a setup, so price is a major issue. And after dropping $40k on a truck.. well lets say I'd have to be extra carfeful on prices of the welding equipment, so I'd like to get the most bang for the buck.

Comment

iso50:
          You might look at the truck as the disposable part of the equation and buy one with a few miles on it 50-60 thousand for half the money. Then earn your way to a new truck. In other words skimp on the transporter and go wild on the new equipment. Look into the diesel f series they are good for about 300,000 miles before an injector pump needs rebuilt, and 4-500,000 for the life of the engine with good upkeep. I have a buddy with 600,000 on the original engine of a 96 f350 powerstroke witha manual trans and 2 wheel drive, still runnin but it smokes pretty bad now and real bad when its cold out. Just an idea more equipment capacity with less truck expense. Get as much insurance as they will sell you on this rig, its going to be your livelyhood protect it as such.

Peace

Comment

I think MAC 702's post about using a trailer makes the most sense for someone starting out. It would give much more flexibility in the beginning for a lot less money. You can rig a trailer many different ways to meet your needs. I have a 7' X 12' trailer with electric brakes that I pull with a 1500 Silverado. I have hauled at least 3000# of construction equipment on the trailer and another 1000# in the truck from Orlando to Jacksonville with no problem. One mistake people make going into business is to jump in too big and then they can't recover. They say starting a business will take 2-5 years to turn the corner and make a profit. You can always move up down the road.

Comment

iso,
              I kinda agree with Mac and timw. A trailer might be an easy way to start up. The key is to keep it simple no matter whether you go truck or trailer. Start out as "easy" as you can and make adjustments as you go. You usually find out what works best in hindsight or by taking notes about the other guy's rig. If you put tons of cash into a setup and figure out later you should have gone a different route, it won't be pretty. Lots of time what you will be doing will dictate what will work best. I didn't notice if you said, so.... What will you be doing?

BTW, my rigs ( there have been a few ) were all 3/4 and 1t p/u's with the machine (Bobcat in my case) bolted to a plywood bed liner. I built a stand to mount the mach. on so I could store things under it. ( about 8" high ). The bottle rack mounted to the non-exhaust side of the welder. All my other toys were in the cross-bed box or in the back seat area of the truck. I did it this way so that I could strip the truck easily if I needed the whole bed. Not so easily that someone else could do it as easy as I did! All my rigs have been diesel since '91. I will NEVER go back to gas. Most hit 100k mi before needing any work, and then it usually is only non-engine things. My current '99 Dodge is at 105k and is stronger now than when new. Sorry, no pics. The Bobcat is down for a rebuild. Rig is "unrigged."
              Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
              '06 12RC feeder
              Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
              Esab Multimaster 260
              Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

DDA52,

I must agree with you on being able to take down the rig quickly. I took me 2 hours to completely take down my 3/4 ton Chevy to an empty 8' bed. Remember I had a 5000lb forklift and some good help. When I made the decision to sell and had a good offer I did not waste any time. I am very fortunate to have been able to recoup my investment when the equipment was sold as well as having made a good living with it. I still have my truck. I bought it used so there is no real loss. I went through 3 trucks in 10 years. The last one is a diesel and I will never own another gas truck to work from. I own a 1500 Chevy for family outings and light duty yard work, but the Duramax diesel and Allison 5 spped tranny do the real work.

I would definitely put less money in a good used vehicle and more in my welder. I have owned several machines and would have upgraded again if I had stayed in the mobile business. If iso50 is going to plan for the long haul and can drop 40K on a truck, then I think he could go less on the truck and more on the welder. The truck is only going to get you and your equipment to the job site. Once there the equipment is going to have to help you get the job done. My .02. If you don't have what you need, the job can be really long and frustrating!

Comment

I am not a mobile welder so this is speculation, but I think a trailer would be more easily stolen. And thieves don't like noise so make it noisey or at least dangerous to others in the dark.
                  Just try to keep yours, yours and not someone elses.

Comment

Originally posted by pjseaman
                    iso50:
                    You might look at the truck as the disposable part of the equation and buy one with a few miles on it 50-60 thousand for half the money. Then earn your way to a new truck. In other words skimp on the transporter and go wild on the new equipment. Look into the diesel f series they are good for about 300,000 miles before an injector pump needs rebuilt, and 4-500,000 for the life of the engine with good upkeep. I have a buddy with 600,000 on the original engine of a 96 f350 powerstroke witha manual trans and 2 wheel drive, still runnin but it smokes pretty bad now and real bad when its cold out. Just an idea more equipment capacity with less truck expense. Get as much insurance as they will sell you on this rig, its going to be your livelyhood protect it as such.

Peace
                    Swell, now if there were any used diesel trucks around it would be an option. Its hard enough to try and find a used 250 or 350, let alone try and find a used diesel. And I dont want a trailer, no were to put it.

Comment

Welder Mount

Here is a picture showing the mounting of my 301D. I have been in business for thirty years and this is my fifth service truck and my first crane. I had back surgery in 1999 and was told never lift over 50 lbs so I bought the new truck with crane. After using it I wish I had bought it thirty years ago.
                      Wayne.
                      Attached Files

Comment

iso50:

Email me when you get close to being ready to purchase In my area there are many 2-3 year old diesels mostly moderate milage50-70k. I would be happy to help and if you find and purchase one I'll even help you ferry it north. My inlaws live near Chicago that is about 1/3 of the wayto you.

Good luck and don't think inside the box that is taking what is given and that isn't always the best route, outside the box finds new ways to get the job done.

Peace

Comment

Originally posted by pjseaman
                          iso50:

Email me when you get close to being ready to purchase In my area there are many 2-3 year old diesels mostly moderate milage50-70k. I would be happy to help and if you find and purchase one I'll even help you ferry it north. My inlaws live near Chicago that is about 1/3 of the wayto you.

Good luck and don't think inside the box that is taking what is given and that isn't always the best route, outside the box finds new ways to get the job done.

Peace
                          I did find some, but they dont seem that much cheaper than a new one, of course its hard to tell based on the short discription. I used Autotrader.com. Its going to be at least a year probably. Maybe I'll be lucky and some people from the school will want to get together and start something.

Comment

Hey Iso,
                            I see you're in Neenah. I'm in Stevens Point, maybe when I get my Dynasty you'll have to drop by and we need to weld some stuff
                            -Tanner

Comment

Originally posted by Tanner
                              Hey Iso,
                              I see you're in Neenah. I'm in Stevens Point, maybe when I get my Dynasty you'll have to drop by and we need to weld some stuff
                              Since I haven't welded anything yet, it would be an interesting expericance.

Comment

Welding Truck

I picked this truck in Ohio last November and drove it back to Alaska to use as a welding truck.It has a Cat diesel engine and runs great I got it on EBAY,
                                it is a 1996 Kodiak 25900lbs truck, no commercial license required.I diden't get a picture of my Hobart engine driven welder that is mounted on the left side I bought it in 1975 it has a 10 kw power plant and a 300 amp welder AC -DC.The welder still runs great, I will be trading it in on a new Miler 302 in the near future.It sure is nice to be able to work in side a mobile shop during the winter.
                                I have less than 10,000 in the truck minus the tools.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X