Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jeffscarstrucks
    replied
    The PRI Show is an amazing thing to see but it takes at least a day and a half IF you don't talk too much. The machinery row area is where the welding and machine tools are and is good for the half day...or more because you do talk to LOTS of folk! You do need to have pre approved credintials as the show is a trade only event and is not open to the public. That said, most people who read this can get a guest pass from someone they know or deal with who are exibitors. Start checking now because registration is by mail. There is some provision for walk-in if your sponsor knows you are coming but it is a bit of a pain. It's like a giant toy store...See you there! Also get your rooms early and they do jack the rates at the closer places.
    JEFF
    P.S. I think my new Dynasty has some sort of magic in it.

Leave a comment:

• KS2K
    replied
    I've been away, thanks for the replies

Thanks Hawk and Blondie for the replies on pre heating. I just read them tonight as I have been out of town.

Paul

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    Blondie,

Should not be a problem.

Leave a comment:

• Blondie_486
    replied
    HAWK,

I've been doing business as C & S Automotive for about a dozen years now. Although the original intent was to specialize in Custom and Sport autos it's become more of a 4x4 and off road sort of thing. I guess it morphed?? Hopefully that'll get me into the place.

Blondie

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    To All,

Anyone interested in the PRI show needs to contact Andy and see what it takes for admission. Unless I am mistaken you "should" be a vendor to the motorsports industry=more or less. If you don't have the right credentials, maybe Andy can help you out. I am not busting any bubbles here, just trying to be prepared.

Leave a comment:

• Blondie_486
    replied
    Pj,

Well I'm most likely going to be spending the rest of my christmas's alone as it seems that me and my girlfriend of 6 years are splitting up. At 48 I doubt thare are any chances of finding anyone again.

So needless to say there'll be no one to buy me a new toy. I'll have to have a real need for it and buy it for that need or else I'll end up doing without. First off though I'll have to find another garage to work in.

Blondie

Leave a comment:

• Paul Seaman
    replied
    Blondie:
    My wife actually bought the mm210 with spoolgun. So it is a possibility. Hey christmas is for the kids right, I'll never grow up sooooo, really it could happen!

Be good

Leave a comment:

• Blondie_486
    replied
    Pj,

Yeah Santa will leave you a 200DX and all I'll get is a lump of coal!!!

Leave a comment:

• Paul Seaman
    replied
    Blondie: Thanks that is just in time for christmas maybe santa will get my new 200dx.

Leave a comment:

• Blondie_486
    replied
    Pjseaman,

According to Andy "The PRI show is in Dec 9-11."

He also said you can't see it all in one day either.

Blondie

Leave a comment:

• Paul Seaman
    replied
    Hawk when is the show in INDY? I used to live there but grew up here in Evansville. I'd like to go but have to put in for vacation as early as possible, if I have a chance of getting it off. I used to work at a print shop at 16th and georgetown behind the white castle opposite the track. It was a bummer during May but I got to meet a few interesting people.

Peace

Leave a comment:

• Blondie_486
    replied
    Paul,

I use an oxy-acetelyne torch (neutral flame) but I don't use a rosebud tip, if the work is relatively small I use a #1 or #2 welding tip and if it's pretty heavy stuff I usually use the cutting torch with a #1 tip (and don't hit the cutting lever). I've been told that the preheat should be between 450 and 500 F, but I don't really measure, I've done it long enough I can seem to tell when it's hot enough I guess. If you don't have a non contact thermometer then "Tempil" sticks work too just don't use them in the area you intend to weld.

On the heavier stuff once you get it going the hotter the aluminum gets the better it seems to weld. I don't get into the thin guage aluminum though, all our thin stuff is always stainless steel.

I hope this helps you out.

Blondie

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    Paul,

I cant't speak for Blondie, but I use MAP gas and a plumbers torch. I also have a non contact IR thermometer to check my temperature. If not, then heat sticks work well too! Remember aluminum melts around 1200 degrees F while its oxide coating melts at 3000 degrees F+.

Leave a comment:

• KS2K
    replied
    Blondie_486

You mentioned pre heating the aluminum. Are you refering to pre heating with a Oxy/Acty torch with a rose bud tip ? How do you tell when your pre heat is good enough to weld, and not go to far and melt the aluminum ?

Thank You
    Paul

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    Blondie_486,

I am making plans to go. I have family in Speedway, Indiana. It's a shame to say, but I have not been to INDY in years.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X