No announcement yet.

Tig Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lots of info, thread sort of got side tracked I think. I am refering to Aluminum GMAW. Stainless and Steel wires I use a Millermatic 250MP, it's just the soft Aluminum which gives me the problems feeding, and as mentioned, ESAB in their Aluminum consumables Catalogue, they feel CC machines are the only way to go. Has anyone tried welding Aluminum with CC machines, you have to have the 'Slow Run In' feature on the wire feeder or it won't work because of too much wire for the current at start. Once Arc is established, the feed speeds up to your welding wire feed setting. I was just wondering if there is anything I need to be aware of. Thanks, Paul
    More Spark Today Pleasesigpic

Comment

I know a welder who ran a Profax spoolgun on a cc machine, they make an adaptor box for cc machines.. It was an older Miller Engine drive that a CV adaptor was not available for.

He had poor success. Very hard to get the thing set up and running smooth, he limped along until he bought a shop machine with CV. Once he ran the aluminum on CV, it wasn't long until he bought a brand spanking new Big Blue 400, with CV on it, from me. I have several customers who build Aluminum truck bodies and dump trailers, they do not have a cc power supply in their shops that is set up to run any mig wire.

We did have acustomer at one time, since out of business, who used to buy quite a bit of 3/32 aluminum wire in an alloy that I cannot recall at the moment. They did have a couple cc machines with feeders hooked up to them for this purpose, but they were really old behemoths, again I am not certain of their make and models, it was just too long ago.

I sell thousands of pounds of 3/64 and 1/16 aluminum mig wire monthly, probably 80% 5356 and 20% 4043, I can assure you that all of it is run on CV equipment.

Comment

klsm54, thanks, sounds like the body builders know what they are up to. I am still going to experiment and will post something when I find out, should be a few days...thanks again, Paul Brown
        More Spark Today Pleasesigpic

Comment

Working...
        X