I are a luminum welder!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HAWK,

The day life stops throwing us curve balls is the day we stop living. Learning is a life long process. I learn something new every day whether I consiously realize it or not. We will never see it all.

Blondie
    Blondie (Owner C & S Automotive)

Colt the original point & click interface!

Millermatic 35 with spot panel
    Miller 340A/BP
    Victor O/A torches
    Lincoln SP125
    Too many other tools to list

03 Ram 1500
    78 GS1000
    82 GL1100 Interstate

Comment

HAWK,

I haven't seen toulene in years but you're right it probably would work great. We use Xylene and Xylol at work because that's what we thin paint with to paint the stuff we make. At home I have lacquer thinner which has a high acetone content then I take the stuff into work and weld it on my lunch break.

Blondie

Miller 340A/BP
      Victor O/A torches
      Lincoln SP125

03 Ram 1500
      78 GS1000
      82 GL1100 Interstate

Comment

Hawk,pj,blondie, et al.,

I do a bit gunsmithing and finish repair and tons of gun cleaning. Just go to the local car parts store and get some brake cleaner. It gives a great pressurized spray and really strips off all the grease, oil etc. (Use gloves, full face shield, and fume mask, if outside). This will leave the joint really clean for using a baking soda spray bottle to neutralize any acid. I usually follow each cleaner pass with clean dry air to speed drying and knock loose any surrounding debris.

Thanks to all you guys for the great info that you provide to us new guys!!! I just coming off about six weeks of back trouble but should be able to get back to my sorely neglected D200DX real soon. What a great machine! ! ! !
        Bob Sigmon
        Bob Sigmon
        A/O Setup with Meco Midget
        Miller Big Window Elite
        Quincy QT-5HD

Comment

Bob,

Thanks for the tip. Have a speedy recovery and enjoy that Dynasty!

Comment

Hawk, Thanks for the thought and I'll be getting to practicing really quick.

Blondie,

If you ever want to check out the 200DX without the pressure of the impendening "sale or loss of sale", email me and you are welcome to come to my home shop and check mine out. I don't have any water cooling but I've got two different torchs, regular and clear class gas lens, tons or filler(well, lbs and lbs, really), lots tungstens, 2 Q's of Argon and a bit of small scrap (but you can bring all you want)

My shop in small and in my basement but it works. Due to current wiring limitations I'm wired into 130VAC 30amps, and this baby really welds. Again, I'm a beginner with about 6 whole hours under my belt, so I certainly can't help with technique but I can provide some great belly laughs by showing you some of my existing practice pieces.

I'm not sure where in OH you hail from but I'm about 30 min north of the border off US23 and M14.

Bob Sigmon
            Bob Sigmon
            Miller Big Window Elite
            Quincy QT-5HD

Comment

Bob,

Thanks for the invite! I'm about 65 miles southeast of Cleveland in a little town called Hartville. Unless you're into flea markets you've probably never heard of it. We just got our 4th stoplight last year I guess we're a metropolis now!!!

I don't know where I'll be next as it seems the shop I'm working at now is on it's way out of business and I don't know where I'll find decent work. Right now I'm looking strongly at a company out west that needs a precision TIG welder for stainless vacuum chambers.

Maybe if I'm still here when the weather turns nicer it'd make a nice bike ride though! At any rate I'll keep it in mind for sure. Thanks again

Blondie

Miller 340A/BP
              Victor O/A torches
              Lincoln SP125

03 Ram 1500
              78 GS1000
              82 GL1100 Interstate

Comment

Blondie,

I don't get away too much, so there are lots of place that I don't know about. I've lived in Plumouth for 45 years, so I know the immediate neck of the woods pretty well. And I always have Yahoo maps.

If you find yourself with some time to burn after your company closes, hop on your bike and come on up I'll pay for you gas and take you out for a nice lunch in trade to some pointers and tips!!!

Wednesdays are my regular day off (well for the last 15 years or so)
                Keep it in mind!!

Bob Sigmon
                Bob Sigmon
                Miller Big Window Elite
                Quincy QT-5HD

Comment

Working...
                X