Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paul Seaman
    replied
    qualls yours probably didn't come with arrestors on it either and you are correct exactly harris equipment. My buddy has the same deal only his is the comercial model made of brass and everything swaps. After all these years the only problem was a bad diaphram in a regulator after I loaned it to a family member! I think he could knock corners off an Iron ball with a q-tip!!!Nonetheless it has served me well since I was in my teens some 20 years ago. By the way the new craftsman equipment is not the same.

Leave a comment:

• qualls
    replied
    I have a Craftsman torch made by Harris. As far as I have ever seen, everything but the emblem is exactly Harris and exchanges with all Harris torch tips, etc. It is about 15 years old. Cuts metal just like any other.

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Gas Welding Aluminum

HAWK & aametalmaster
    gas welding of aluminum used to be fairly common up until the middle 1970s on tanks and aluminum bodywork for race car stuff... it left a nice flat bead... the biggest problem was the orange flare that you would get just before it puddled.. there were goggles especially made for it called BurtWeld.. I still have a pair... they work very well at eliminating that flare... but have not been made in about 30 years.. the practice had nearly died out up until recently with the resurgence of panelbeating and hand built cars.... and I understand that there are even better goggles out there now... they are not cheap but neither are your eyes..
    here is a link

http://www.tinmantech.com/html/tm2000.html

he has a pretty wide range of tools for forming sheet into dreams
    Have Fun

Heiti

BTW.. the fluxes used were pretty nasty... hope that they have improved............................. AND .... if you thought you had to move pretty fast when Tigging Aluminum?... wait till ya try a torch!! the HAZ is pretty big... get ready to strap on the JATO bottles...... 8*)

Leave a comment:

• aametalmaster
    replied
    Ahh, I would love to weld alum with a torch I used to watch my dad do it. I have too many irons in the fire..Bob

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    aametalmaster,

I have not tried one, but it sounds nice. I sold all my Victor stuff about 5 years ago and typically use a plasma except for heavy duty heating and bending. I usually rent by the job for this work. I have thought about purchasing a small set up just for backhand welding of aluminum-just one more thing to fill an empty shop space.

Leave a comment:

• aametalmaster
    replied
    I was a Victor fan until I got my Oxweld setup. I took the ox reg to a welding store for a question and the guy say's feel how heavy this is. I have every size brazing tip they make prob won't use them all..Bob

Leave a comment:

• Paul Seaman
    replied
    Blondie I don't buy there anymore either but I do have a bunch of their old stuff. The torch is one they built for about 15 years unchanged only changed the color of the handle and it is made of aluminum instead of brass, in hard conditions it probably wouldn't last but it is fine for the job here and now. Most of my hand tools are Dewalt and the have served me well, only a couple of burned out switches in 8-12 years of service, and that isn't too bad for as hard as I use them.

Leave a comment:

• Blondie_486
    replied
    Pjseaman,

Safety is what it's all about, if you want to hang around and get old. It's nice to hear that something Craftsman makes has parts that interchange with the manufacturer. I don't buy any more of their power tools for that reason though.

Blondie

Leave a comment:

• Paul Seaman
    replied
    Thanks for the input. Today I stopped at Airgas and they confirmed that it is a harris built and the heads do interchange but to change the handle is a little pricy. I put a set of arrestors on the charge and will install next weekend. Thanks you may have saved my neck by just making me think about equipment I've owned and used for 20 years. This is good equipment but it will be better by making it safer.

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• glockdoc
    replied
    I have a Craftsman set from the mid '80s and it is made by Harris. The Sears stuff has a few shortcuts compared to the Harris labeled stuff. Aluminum handle versus polished brass, shorter stainless tubes on the Sears than the Harris cutting attachment. I have both and everything is interchangable. Mine came with the check valves attached. Plan on getting rid of the Sears torch stuff as it will not interchange with Victor or Smith (at least in my case). Regs will of course work. I recommend a check valve/arrestor that attaches to your regs, never did like the ones that screw onto the handle. Hoses will not be protected, however. It is my understanding that to get into an explosive situation a gas mixture has to get back into the cylinder. One way is the torch mixer/tip gets plugged so gasses flow from one cylinder into the other. But then gas at 30psi will not go into a cylinder that's at 100 or 200psi. A much more likely situation is when one tries to suck that last bit of gas out of a bottle. Seen where someone tried to get the last bit of acety, when it depleted the welding tip turned into a minature cutting tip when only oxy came out. If the tip had plugged, oxy could have theoretically back-flowed into the acety cyl.

Leave a comment:

• Blondie_486
    replied
    pjseaman,

Well the decision is ultimately yours but if you do buy a new handle with the arrestors built in you'll most likely have to buy a new cutting head and welding tips too. I'm not sure if Harris makes a handle with built in arrestors or not but even if they do don't assume your Craftsman/Harris cutting head and tips will fit. Craftsman has this habbit of having things built to THEIR specs so parts are NOT interchangeable with the manufacturers original. For instance I had a Craftsman drill and one of the gears broke in it. It looked just like a Black & Decker drill that was being sold around the same time. I found out that it was in fact manufactured by Black & Decker but the B&D gear wouldn't fit in the drill because the drill was manufactured to Craftsman's specifications. I think the B&D parts guy said the only interchangeable part was the brushes.

So if you're going to get a new Harris handle make sure your cutting head and welding tips will work in it before you lay down the green. Otherwise you'll probably be less money putting tne inline arrestors on.

Blondie

Leave a comment:

• Paul Seaman
    replied
    Do you guys think that $55 is better spent toward a new torch handle that has the arrestors built in? Mine is an old craftsman built by I think Harris. It works well when I need it which isn't often, mostly disassembly of stubborn car parts.

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    10-4! But I have to say sometimes Miller time gets old when the customer does not want to pay. Three weeks ago a "regular" customer calls and asked me to make a repair. I did the work and sent a bill for $125 plus tax. I had 1 hour travel, 1/2 hour weld time with MIG, 1/2 hour set up and clean up time. Total hours [email protected]/HR. He paid the bill, in line on an hourly basis with all other work in the last 2 years, but said someone else could do it cheaper and asked me to drop my rates. I simply said "get the other guy to do your work". I suspect he will call me back after a few jobs, but could be wrong. We have a couple of new guys here in town trying to get started and are absolutely ruining the local market with their cheap rates. I cannot work for $35-$40/hour.

Leave a comment:

• Blondie_486
    replied
    HAWK,

Victor torches and Miller welders. It doesn't get any better.

I guess for us non drinkers Miller time means time to go fire up the welder!!

Blondie

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    Blondie,

Thanks. That is really only for the sake of argument. I far as I am concerned Victor torches are the only ones made!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X