X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blondie_486
    replied
    HAWK,

So far as I've noticed up to this point it's just been the Victors. I've used Victor torches since I was a kid. But next time I'm somewhere that sells other brands and Harbor Freight I'll look and see. That's a good point!

Blondie

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    Blondie,

As far as I know Victor started putting the valves into their torch heads about 3 years ago. I have not seen this feature on any other brand or "off brand" torches. Have you?

Leave a comment:

• Blondie_486
    replied
    Jweld, HAWK, Pjseaman & Welder99,

I was in at my local welding supplier last week and was looking at the Victor torches on display and noticed the check valves are now BUILT into the torch handle so there's no way you can operate without them. Also it's a good idea to have a set installed at the guages too, you never know when some dumb blonde will drop a piece of hot metal on the hoses or accidentely lay them across something hot... errr my hoses started out as 20' hoses but now they're only about 12'. No they're not scabbed together with hose clamps from the local parts store, I had them crimped again by the local welding supplier.

At any rate it won't be long until you won't be able to buy a torch without the check valves already installed in them and perhaps the regulators will be next? Who knows?

Blondie

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hawk:
    I have always had the "arrestors" but just wanted to know thier importance. Thanks

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    JWELD,

Bottom line: If you OA rig is not equipped with flash back arrestors then please purchase and install them. This can be done for around $50 for a set-one on each line between the torch body and the hoses. It is not worth the risk!

Leave a comment:

• Paul Seaman
    replied
    Thanks guys safety is an every minute requirement and these things keep me thinking and I usually think of myself as safe but my torch doesn't have arrestors on it --yet!!!!!!

Thanks again!

Leave a comment:

• Welder99
    replied
    Jweld,
    The check valves or so called (Flashback resistors).I have witnessed a flash back into the torch before,most of the time is a continued popping and shreek whisling sound at the end of the torch.when this happened (the flash back the valves,which is a one way valve) in line stopped it from going back into the regulator and then possibly the tank.as to have witnessed it without the valves?,NOPE...and hope i never do.I have seen a Tank that was ripped open like a can opener from the top to the bottom.(a result of not having flash back valves in place.)it was on display at Hobart welding school here in Ohio.most of the time its from a result of either a lean of rich mixture of gasses at the torch.one way to notice this is happening is when you are using a cutting torch and bump the tip against the metal and the flame goes out as the result.then the tip that is still hot ignites the fuel back into the torch head,that is the beginning of a flash back.alot of people that own or use cutting or brazing torches have never been schooled about the dangers that can result in inproper use.im sure there is going to be more people post here about this subject.i know ive only scrapped the tip of the ice berg on this subject.i hope this info is of some help....

good luck....(welder99)

Leave a comment:

• Blondie_486
    replied
    JWELD,

I've never witnessed an explosion or what you'd consider a blow up, but I have seen a torch backfire through the handle and burn the hoses in high school shop class. Of course the "class clown" was welding with the torch at the time too, that may have had something to do with it.

Blondie

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic Oxy-acetelyne Safety

Oxy-acetelyne Safety

I know that is probaly spelled wrong, but oh well.

Question: I know that "gas flow cheeck valves" on hoses are a must and have always used them. Has anyone witnessed a blow up from this??
Working...
X