X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HAWK
    replied
    PJ,

One last photo. I have recently praised the D200DX capabilities of welding thicker than generally thought aluminum weldments by fine tuning the arc settings, gas mix, and torch accessories. Here is a picture of such a weld securing the bender base of 3/4" aluminum to a 1/4" x 2" x 2" square tube. There is no preheat or other tricks involved-just a fair amount of filler swirled in with a cup walk to adequately wash the weld toes.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    PJ,

Here is it mounted to the tube. I am stuck in a corner tonight, but will move some junk tomorrow. The table top with vise is on casters. It is a 19" x 31" low alloy steel top. I used to use it a lot as a portable welding table, but have since built smaller light weight tables with leveling legs.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    PJ,

Thanks for the idea and information. I have ordered a really nice heavy duty scroll die and press specifically for scrolling. My work is repetitive and ongoing. I have found numerous benders and open face ring rollers, but they either bend 180 degrees maximum or only go down as small as 4" in diameter.

I have a pin and circle bender mounted to a piece of square tube for working with up to 6' lengths of rod. However, the complete circle bending is awkard at best. I can bend 2 halves with some precsion and TIG them together with a dab of 1/16" 309 filler. It gives it an artsy look and neither strength, ductility or elongation are especially important-looks only.

I can do with what I have, but would like to speed up the process. Attached are some pictures of the bender and tube mount.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Paul Seaman
    replied
    Hawk years ago I built some decorative scroll with a piece if 2" round cold roll that I cut a slot in with a grinder mounted it in the vise heated a little and bent a little and worked up the length of round stock making a spring shape then beat it flat to make scroll that was really tight. It is alot cheaper than a bender unless you do a lot of that kind of stuff, then look at harbor freight. They sell a nice little bender specifically for scroll type work. Good luck

ps computer's fixed, I think

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    started a topic 360 Degree Bender

360 Degree Bender

Is anybody familiar with a bender or roller tool that is capable of making 2.5" diameter circles using 3/16" cold roll steel rod or 1/8" x 1/2" steel flat bar? I need something that is accurate and precise.
Working...
X