Rods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rods

THE OTHER DAY A WELDING SUPPLY REP CAME TO OUR AREA AND SHOWED US SOMETHINGS. THE FIRST HE SETUP A BOLT WITH A NUT IN THE VISE. PUT A SECOND NUT ON TOP. PUT THE ROD DOWN THE HOLE WELDED ON THE BOLT, BUILT IT UP AND WELD THE BOLT TO THE TOP NUT. AFTER IT COOLED PUT A WRENCH ON THE WELDED NUT WIGGLED IT, COULD HEAR THE FLUX CRUNCH, AND TURNED THE BOLT UP THOUGH THE NUT IN THE VISE. SECOND, HE STRUCK AN ARC AND PROPPED UP THE ELECTRODE HOLDER AND IT FINSHED THE BEAD BY IT SELF. BOTH OF THE RODS HAD GOOFY NAMES SO YOU WOULD REMEMBER, BUT I FORGOT. AFTER ALL THAT MY QUESTION IS ARE THESE ROD ALREADY AROUND OR DO THESE GUYS HAVE SOMETHING NEW?
    Joe
    [email protected]

joe,

Certanium makes some really high tech rods and they are rather pricey. I have seen many demonstrated, but none like those you describe. Sounds neat!

Comment

wrench3047
      read your post over a few times and am still not sure I understand it...or what took place during the demo... maybe my addled old noodle... would you mind going into more detail??
      Thanks
      Heiti

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
      Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
      Dynasty 200DX
      Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
      Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Thought everybody has seen that, or at least tried it. First saw this about 40yrs ago with a old Forney buzz box ac and 6012 rod. Done it myself with ac rod, 5p plus & lo-high 7018. Was a old sales trick some people used to sell mach. & rod. Took some long 7/32 lo-high once on a big old piece of plate twisted my whip in a circle and tried to make complete circles with it running all by itself.Never did quite get it without helping it. O well fun& games revpol

Comment

Forgot about the bolt trick. 5/8 bolt and 3/32 7018 works real good for that. Probably other types of rod also. But I've only tried it with the lo-high revpol

Comment

wrench3047
            read your post over a few times and am still not sure I understand it...or what took place during the demo... maybe my addled old noodle... would you mind going into more detail??
            Thanks
            Heiti

basicly the guy extracted a bolt with out damaging the threads. the other the flux melted a little later than the filler so the filler didn't groundout and stick if you let go.
            Joe
            [email protected]

Comment

wrench3047
              OK.... guess I was just trying to look at it in a more complicated light than I needed to... and could not visualize it... much more of a PT Barnum than Sandia Labs/Los Alamos deal....(having been a nerdy type for too many years sometimes I overcomplicate the simple stuff in my mind)
              Thanks
              Heiti

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
              Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
              Dynasty 200DX
              Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
              Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Working...
              X