Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tri mix gas for stainless steel MIG welding.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HAWK
    replied
    Andy,

I guess the ALT304 is the same machine with Auto-Line. I hate that I sold my XMT and Optima. It was a fine combo!

Leave a comment:

• ASKANDY
    replied
    10-4 Hawk.
    The XMT has a great extended inductance control. And with the Optima, you could go pulse MIG and drop to short arc too.

A-

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    Andy,

It just hit me why I never complained about the 98ar/202 mix. I was running an XMT304 with the Optima and probably had the inductance cranked to compensate for the high narrow bead.

Leave a comment:

• cope
    replied
    Originally posted by ASKANDY
    Cope,

The 90-10 will work however the weld bead will be narrower and higher. If you want, try to increase the weld inductance if your machine has an inductance control or by wrapping the ground wire around an iron pipe 10-20 times and clamp in place tight to create an inductor/choke. This well help to wet out the puddle a little. It may cause the arc to stumble a bit on start but will weld nicer.

Andy
    Andy, thanks for the reply. My machine is a PowCon 200SM. Weld puddle control was an option but mine didn't come with it and cost from Arc Products is more than I want to spend.

Leave a comment:

• ASKANDY
    replied
    Cope,

The 90-10 will work however the weld bead will be narrower and higher. If you want, try to increase the weld inductance if your machine has an inductance control or by wrapping the ground wire around an iron pipe 10-20 times and clamp in place tight to create an inductor/choke. This well help to wet out the puddle a little. It may cause the arc to stumble a bit on start but will weld nicer.

Andy

Leave a comment:

• Blondie_486
    replied
    Andy,

Thanks that's what I was looking for, comments from someone who had actually used the different gas mixes. Mostly the stainless work I've done has been patch work on stainless exhaust systems and it was all "old" stuff. Now I'm wanting to work with new material and would like it to look nice and also not to oxidize at the welds as there will be quite a few of them.

Hopefully I'll be able to come up with a TIG setup but if not I'm going to have to MIG weld it.

Thanks a bunch
    Blondie

Leave a comment:

• cope
    replied
    Originally posted by ASKANDY
    Stainless nitty gritty.

bail has the best mix at 90he 7 1/2ar 2 1/2co2 or some dealers stock a 90-8-2. Both short arc SS fine. As a "get by gas" you can do the 75ar/25co2 or the 80/20 you mentioned before but you kill the corrosion resistance. The reason you would like to reduce the Co2 is that it tends to pick up carbon however it is slightly needed to increase penetration. The high HE addition will help to spread the arc cone to prevent high ropey beads and will also reduce the possibility of undercut. "Generally" the 98ar-2o2 is a spray gas. I personally didn't like the way 98-2 short arcs. It was too ropey for me.

All in all the tri-mix is the way to go. Most dealers can get it and if they tell you they can't....well I'd go to a more competent dealer!

Good luck

Andy
    Andy, will 90AR/10CO2 work for stainless? I'm not talking food grade work here, just an occasional small job.

Leave a comment:

• ASKANDY
    replied
    Stainless nitty gritty.

bail has the best mix at 90he 7 1/2ar 2 1/2co2 or some dealers stock a 90-8-2. Both short arc SS fine. As a "get by gas" you can do the 75ar/25co2 or the 80/20 you mentioned before but you kill the corrosion resistance. The reason you would like to reduce the Co2 is that it tends to pick up carbon however it is slightly needed to increase penetration. The high HE addition will help to spread the arc cone to prevent high ropey beads and will also reduce the possibility of undercut. "Generally" the 98ar-2o2 is a spray gas. I personally didn't like the way 98-2 short arcs. It was too ropey for me.

All in all the tri-mix is the way to go. Most dealers can get it and if they tell you they can't....well I'd go to a more competent dealer!

Good luck

Andy

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    Blondie_486,

I buy most of my equipment and supplies through a good dealer with whom I have a good working relationship. This cuts some heartarche when you may need to return an item or need something in the middle of the night. You may pay a few extra dollars for this service, but it is well worth the little bit extra!

I paid $245 for my Optrel Satellite locally. That close to $20 more than through I/O, but the other day I brought back a #17 aircooled 2 wire torch and swapped it for a#26 air cooled 2 wire-no hassle and no extra money.

Leave a comment:

• cope
    replied
    Originally posted by Blondie_486
    Hawk & Cope,

Thanks for the information on IOC. I priced a MM251 from my local supplier then checked on the net and saw what IOC was willing to sell the machine for and went back to my local supplier and told them what I could get it from IOC for and they worked on the price and came up with 1674.00 and threw in a bottle of CO2 and a spool of wire. If I can get the local supplier to come to within 10 or 15 bucks of IOC's price I'll buy it locally but if I can't then I'll definitely be buying it from IOC when the time comes.

Thanks for all of your advice

Blondie
    Blondie, something to consider is the rapport you build with a local dealer when you make a large purchase. IOC has great prices, but I would buy local even if I couldn't get within $10-15 for the value of the relationship down the road.

Leave a comment:

• Blondie_486
    replied
    Hawk & Cope,

Thanks for the information on IOC. I priced a MM251 from my local supplier then checked on the net and saw what IOC was willing to sell the machine for and went back to my local supplier and told them what I could get it from IOC for and they worked on the price and came up with 1674.00 and threw in a bottle of CO2 and a spool of wire. If I can get the local supplier to come to within 10 or 15 bucks of IOC's price I'll buy it locally but if I can't then I'll definitely be buying it from IOC when the time comes.

Thanks for all of your advice

Blondie

Leave a comment:

• cope
    replied
    Originally posted by HAWK
    Blondie and Cope,

Illuzion has had great luck with Indiana Oxygen taking great care of him even though the problems he encountered were due to shipping. If you have not read his post redirecting readers to his website concerning the saga of his spectrum 625 ordered from I/O , please do so. It is a great recommendation for Indiana Oxygen.
    Hawk, actually my hood wasn't delivered until Friday; it was in Houston Thursday but they left the first digit out of my address. I called and placed the order at the end of a 12 hour day for IOC, I was in a hurry and it might have been my fault. Still they have great service as well as prices, and most of their stuff ships w/free shipping.

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    Blondie and Cope,

Illuzion has had great luck with Indiana Oxygen taking great care of him even though the problems he encountered were due to shipping. If you have not read his post redirecting readers to his website concerning the saga of his spectrum 625 ordered from I/O , please do so. It is a great recommendation for Indiana Oxygen.

Leave a comment:

• cope
    replied
    Originally posted by Blondie_486
    Hawk,

Oh by the way I have found one local source that does stock the Optrel Satelite helmet but they want 275.00 for it and Indiana Oxygen Co. has them listed on ebay for 227.00 shipping included. That's a no brainer there but will look at the one at the local supplier and let them know what I can get it for on the net and see if they'll come close to price matching.

Thanks again for the help

Blondie
    Blondie, I bought a Jackson NexGen from IOC last weekend. Ordered it Saturday night and it got here Thursday. Nice people and good prices.

Leave a comment:

• Blondie_486
    replied
    Hawk,

H80N merely posted a link to the debate over which gas to use it wasn't necessarily his recommendation or opinion. Normally I either TIG or stick weld stainless but since I'll be doing this at home I have to try to make do with what I have on hand. I was just hoping someone had used the 98/2 mix and could relate their experience with it.

However I'm also going to check the availability of the tri mix this week with my suppliers and see what they can deliver, that'll probably be a major deciding factor too. You can't get what's not available.

Thanks for your input though.

Oh by the way I have found one local source that does stock the Optrel Satelite helmet but they want 275.00 for it and Indiana Oxygen Co. has them listed on ebay for 227.00 shipping included. That's a no brainer there but will look at the one at the local supplier and let them know what I can get it for on the net and see if they'll come close to price matching.

Thanks again for the help

Blondie

Leave a comment:

Working...
X