Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tri mix gas for stainless steel MIG welding.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stainless nitty gritty.

bail has the best mix at 90he 7 1/2ar 2 1/2co2 or some dealers stock a 90-8-2. Both short arc SS fine. As a "get by gas" you can do the 75ar/25co2 or the 80/20 you mentioned before but you kill the corrosion resistance. The reason you would like to reduce the Co2 is that it tends to pick up carbon however it is slightly needed to increase penetration. The high HE addition will help to spread the arc cone to prevent high ropey beads and will also reduce the possibility of undercut. "Generally" the 98ar-2o2 is a spray gas. I personally didn't like the way 98-2 short arcs. It was too ropey for me.

All in all the tri-mix is the way to go. Most dealers can get it and if they tell you they can't....well I'd go to a more competent dealer!

Good luck

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by ASKANDY
      Stainless nitty gritty.

bail has the best mix at 90he 7 1/2ar 2 1/2co2 or some dealers stock a 90-8-2. Both short arc SS fine. As a "get by gas" you can do the 75ar/25co2 or the 80/20 you mentioned before but you kill the corrosion resistance. The reason you would like to reduce the Co2 is that it tends to pick up carbon however it is slightly needed to increase penetration. The high HE addition will help to spread the arc cone to prevent high ropey beads and will also reduce the possibility of undercut. "Generally" the 98ar-2o2 is a spray gas. I personally didn't like the way 98-2 short arcs. It was too ropey for me.

All in all the tri-mix is the way to go. Most dealers can get it and if they tell you they can't....well I'd go to a more competent dealer!

Good luck

Andy
      Andy, will 90AR/10CO2 work for stainless? I'm not talking food grade work here, just an occasional small job.

Comment

Andy,

Thanks that's what I was looking for, comments from someone who had actually used the different gas mixes. Mostly the stainless work I've done has been patch work on stainless exhaust systems and it was all "old" stuff. Now I'm wanting to work with new material and would like it to look nice and also not to oxidize at the welds as there will be quite a few of them.

Hopefully I'll be able to come up with a TIG setup but if not I'm going to have to MIG weld it.

Thanks a bunch
        Blondie
        Blondie (Owner C & S Automotive)

Colt the original point & click interface!

Millermatic 35 with spot panel
        Miller 340A/BP
        Victor O/A torches
        Lincoln SP125
        Too many other tools to list

03 Ram 1500
        78 GS1000
        82 GL1100 Interstate

Comment

Cope,

The 90-10 will work however the weld bead will be narrower and higher. If you want, try to increase the weld inductance if your machine has an inductance control or by wrapping the ground wire around an iron pipe 10-20 times and clamp in place tight to create an inductor/choke. This well help to wet out the puddle a little. It may cause the arc to stumble a bit on start but will weld nicer.

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by ASKANDY
            Cope,

The 90-10 will work however the weld bead will be narrower and higher. If you want, try to increase the weld inductance if your machine has an inductance control or by wrapping the ground wire around an iron pipe 10-20 times and clamp in place tight to create an inductor/choke. This well help to wet out the puddle a little. It may cause the arc to stumble a bit on start but will weld nicer.

Andy
            Andy, thanks for the reply. My machine is a PowCon 200SM. Weld puddle control was an option but mine didn't come with it and cost from Arc Products is more than I want to spend.

Comment

Andy,

It just hit me why I never complained about the 98ar/202 mix. I was running an XMT304 with the Optima and probably had the inductance cranked to compensate for the high narrow bead.

Comment

10-4 Hawk.
                The XMT has a great extended inductance control. And with the Optima, you could go pulse MIG and drop to short arc too.

A-

Comment

Andy,

I guess the ALT304 is the same machine with Auto-Line. I hate that I sold my XMT and Optima. It was a fine combo!

Comment

Working...
                  X