X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HAWK
    replied
    illuzion,

Sorry to hear you are so busy. Welding has been pretty much my life for a long time and I would not know how to act if I could not weld.
    If for some reason the grinder you are evaluating does not work out, here is a link to the "cat's Meow" the model Piranha II is great up to 3/32" and the Piranha III is the big cat daddy of them all. These are excellent machines built for the forever haul! The PII list at $700 with the PIII nearly 2x that. However, they are the best made and most pros I know are using them and have been for some time. There are more expensive units on the market, but probably none better than the Piranhas. Also DG makes killer pre-ground tungsten!
    Here is the link:
    http://www.diamondground.com/

Leave a comment:

• illuzion
    replied
    Have been very busy and haven't had much time lately. There are some good and bad points about this unit. The manufacturer was recently made aware of a design flaw (by me), and they are investigating it and getting back to me on it, and I was holding posting a review until then, I expect to post some info on it within a week along with some digital pictures of the grinds.
    illuzion

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    illuzion,

I have not heard anything new on the grinder. How does it perform? I put a 5" diamond wheel on my bench grinder and do the final grind and polish after the rough cut on the other wheel which is a 7" silica carbide wheel. It's a great shop setup and produces some of the best hand ground points I have seen.

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    1320Fabrication,

The new Big Window Elite is great! My Optrel Satellite has become a back up helmet. Right now the Satellite is collecting dust.

Leave a comment:

• 1320Fabrication
    replied
    Illuzion,

the Hornell 9000Xi has actually been out for a while and is already being replace with a 9002X. If your in the market for a helmet also try the new Miller elite, I like it better than my Hornell, so I bought one.

Leave a comment:

• ASKANDY
    replied
    Thanks for the additional info! I'll await your eval on the unit, however it does sound quite a bit better than the Dremel type.
    I know I didn't get that many sharpens from mine.

Thanks again,

Andy

Leave a comment:

• illuzion
    replied
    They pretty much retail at about 625, if you want wholesale pricing (Andy only), email me privately. This thing looks pretty nice, I grilled them for specs. It seems to be a 400W Milwaukee motor (similar to what would be found on a 4" angle grinder) they are using, as opposed to a dremel. The thing makes about 30,000RPM to compensate for the smaller wheel size. It does grind flats, and preset included angles, it does not notch, score, or cut off. The wheel is a 2" Diamond double sided wheel, and although they do not publish an offical spec, because it varies so widely with usage (how aggresively you grind), they say average is about 2000-3000 3/32" grinds per side on the wheel. Includes a bench mount bracket, hard case, tools ,etc. It also includes a vacuum attachment to extract all dust. It also does contain 100% of the grindings until you empty it. I will post more info when I receive the unit.
    -illuzion

PS - Been playing with the new Hornell Speedglas 9000xi, excellent helmet, ultra sensitive for low amp tig, I was welding at 5A on an inverter the other day, no flash, Yet it does not falsely darken with sunlight/ambient light. This is a fairly new model they just released specially for inverter welders with a smooth arc, it is an upgraded version of their 9000x.

Leave a comment:

• ASKANDY
    replied
    You da MAN!

Did they say the cost??

A-

Leave a comment:

• illuzion
    replied
    I just got off the phone with the manufacturer of the Turbo Sharp III unit, they are sending me out a unit for review. I will post details pictures on it as soon as I get it.
    Thanks
    illuzion

Leave a comment:

• ASKANDY
    replied
    The only reason I choose the turbo sharp is that it looks of fine quality and even though the wheel looks small, it definitly apears to be a better unit than the dremel knock off I have now. Also cost I'm in the same boat al of you are in....trying to get the most out of my dollar before the wife gets it

Also. If you are concerned about the Thoria dust, upgrade to the Ceriated or Lanthanated tungsten. If you are serious about spending a little more money for a much better item, then I would really consider getting rid of the Thoriated tungsten. You will like it and it's not radioactive.

Good luck

Andy

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    illuzion,

Ditch the thoriated and don't worry about the radioactive dust. Your Dynasty will love the lanthanated or even ceriated. I promise. I use it all the time. It is heads above thoriated on this machine! If you do find a good grinder, let me know. I have considered one, but like the price of the 8" wheels and the chem sharp.

Leave a comment:

• illuzion
    replied
    Thanks for all the replies. I really haven't tried chemsharp yet, but I dont like the idea of having to preheat the tungsten on a copper block, or stike an arc, just to sharpen the tungstens. As for Andy, you are correct in that I do not need a ultra commerical heavy duty unit, I do not do that much volume to warrant it, I am looking for something that is convienent, dedicated, and doesn't throw thoria dust everywhere. The reason I am shying away from cheap dremel type units is the small wheel cannot produce a perfectly straight longitudinal grind pattern, consumable life. I am looking for something that can make a nice grind, and built to halfway decent quality. I think it goes without saying that most of the people on this board are here because they value the quality of their tools and equipment, and don't mind spending an extra few $ for a superior product. Arcdawg, which ArcZone using are you referring to, if it is the medium duty Tungsten Grinder, it seems to be the same unit as the Pirahna II, the handheld seems to be just a dremel tool. The Turbo Sharp III, looks nice a really heavy duty handheld compared to the dremel retrofits that others are selling. I just can't seem to decide between the bench unit and the handheld. I want the better unit, and they don't say the size of the wheel in the Turbo Sharp, the wheel in the bench unit is 3.5", and runs at high RPM for high surface speeds, really both units seem to be quite portable, and there is only a $75 difference in price between the two. Andy, what made you choose the Turbo Sharp over the small bench unit???
    Thanks
    -illuzion

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    I am a big fan of Chem Sharp especially at sub ranges like 1-5 amps. It really cuts down on arc wander. I also use an 8" bench grinder with a dedicated fine grit wheel. The wheels run about $5 and do a good job. I do have to move around some to keep from eating a groove in the abrasive wheel. I grind outdoors so shop dust is not a problem. If I have to use thoriated tungsten, I use the Chem Sharp. I am not big on radioactive dust.

I TIG mostly with an inverter (Dynasty 200DX) and use the 1.5% or 2% lanthanated tungsten. On AC I can run a 3/32" lanthanated electrode with a 75%helium/25%argon mix and maintain a good welding point for about 60-70" of weld. I don't know how much TIG you do, but at that rate 4 good tips per day do great for me-that's about 20 feet of weld. I do keep the balance up around 75% and the arc frequency at 215HZ to narrow the bead because the high helium content will really widen the bead profile.

I am running a water cooled Diamond Back #20 with the Coolmate 4. If you figure the added heat input from the helium and the Dynasty cranked wide open at 200 amps, the heat input is roughly equivalent to welding at 300 amps with 100% argon. I simply clip a 7" stick of lanthanted tungsen in half, grind a good point on both ends of each half and can weld most of the day.

Well, no matter what the sharpening method, I must brag on the lanthanated tungsten. I can do with a 3/32" electrode what most folks do with 1/8" or even 5/32" thoriated.

The lanthanated tungsten works really well on DC too! I like the 2% (quality control and manufacturing processes actually yield a range of 1.7-2.2%).

If you are welding with a plain square wave or sine wave machine, consider zirconiated tungsten over pure. It balls well and will take some extra heat over pure tungsten. It also produces no weld contamination. You can produce a very high quality uncontaminated weld this way. It will not take the heat of the lanthanated, but is the best thing going for machines other than inverters. Use DCRP and a piece of copper to ball the end and your ready to weld.

Leave a comment:

• arcdawg
    replied
    dont waste your time or money on the pirranha,(i believe thats whats its called) we have one at school what a p.i.t.a. you have to tear it apart once a week to clean it out !!!

the one from arczone is nice i used it this past weekend very easy to use !!! and is small and 110v

i have always prefered the bench grinder with a detacated wheel
    maybe im just old school !!

brian

Leave a comment:

• Blackplague
    replied
    That one you speak of for $225 that

Looks like a Dremel tool is Awesome. It's really cool for field work. Best of all it's cheap and it works. It plugs into any 115v outlet and you can take it anywhere. If you just have to have an expensive one, take a look at jetline. http://www.tigdepot.com/products/p32.html

Leave a comment:

Working...
X