X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASKANDY
    replied
    illuzion,
    I use both the chem sharp and the small dremel type when I'm on the road. In my shop we have dedicated grinders with fine grit wheels for only tungsten and this works fine and is not very expensive. I have to ask, why would you need one of those expensive models? Are you planning on sharpening that much tungsten or do you need it because production requirements needing speed?

I guess if I had to pick from your list. The turbo sharpIII looks about the most reasonable.

Good luck, let us know how you choose.

Andy

Leave a comment:

• jeffscarstrucks
    replied
    Hi, I would also recomend Chem-Sharp. It is fairly inexpensive and leaves no grind marks. The smooth finish gives great arc control at very low amperage. Hawk spoke highly of it on previous posts and he was dead on....JEFF P.S. I also have a hand held and a wheel!

Leave a comment:

• Wheels
    replied
    Illusion

Do a search on Chemsharp. Hawk uses it instead of an electric sharpener.

Mike

Leave a comment:

• GTA/SPEC
    replied
    Tungsten grinders can be cool. I have a customer that has 20 or more of them. Some are Pirrannas, some are large bench units. I dont want to grind my tungsten on a wheel less than 8" in diameter for several reasons.

a) tungten shape.
    b) surface speed of abrasive material.
    c) life of abrasive.

The most important is A. If you sharpen on a small wheel, you will either get a tungsten with a convex point, if you use the round face. Or a tungsten point with spiral-like grind marks if you use the flat side of the wheel.

The only small dia tungsten grinder that i like is made by Jetline. I dont know if it is still made.

Leave a comment:

• illuzion
    started a topic Tungsten Grinders...

Tungsten Grinders...

I have a question about tungsten grinders, I have a friend who told me to get one as they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. I have been using a regular bench grinder with a dedicated (not diamond) wheel for preping my tungstens, I know this is not a smart idea for many reasons, everything ranging from weld contamination, to splintering, to thoria dust in the shop. Now my question is does anyone have any experience with these machines, It seems the going price for an entry level dedicated unit is about $600-700. I see someone selling something for $225 which is nothing more than a $25 dremel tool with a 1" Diamond wheel on it and a pretty housing. I was looking at two units that looked promising in my price range. The first seems to be very popular, I see like 7 different company's selling this same unit under different names, Diamond Ground calls it the Pirahna 2 http://www.diamondground.com/Piranha2.html , Arc Zone sells the same unit http://www.arc-zone.com/catalog/web_...=8902795_20188 , the other unit is Called the turbo sharp III, it seems to be a nicely built handheld unit, http://www.ckworldwide.com/turbo.htm Has anyone had experience they can share with either of these units, or anything else on the market worth considering, as opposed to buying a diamond wheel for my grinder, which will still throw dust everywhere.
    Thanks
    illuzion
Working...
X