wire feeder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wire feeder

Has anyone used Miller's 3045 fc feeder? It looks like it'll fit my needs without too much $$$$. I don't mind the 115v plug-in issue esp. since this unit is only $600.00.
    Also, was wondering if this unit would work off of a smaller stick mach like a thunderbolt.
    Just curious.
    Don
    Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
    '06 12RC feeder
    Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
    Esab Multimaster 260
    Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

DDA52,

I am a true blue Miller person. However, I would have to see this one work. It lists the Bluestar 180 CC stick machine as a recommended power source. I got my engine drive start with a BS 180. I tried a half dozen VS feeders and it would NOT drive any of them. Maybe the 3045 is the ticket. Somehow I doubt the Thunderbolt will push it. This is not experience with this feeder talking, I just have to see it work.

Comment

DDA52,

The 3045 feeder is an "ok" wire feeder for lightweight fab. It is not as heavy duty as the suitcase style units. It would probably work on the t-bolt but the t-bolt's DC is not that smooth and the weld quality will reflect that. If this is an issue where the weld doesn't have to be perfect....then you are the customer that unit was designed for. This is why we make a variety of units to fit everyones needs and price ranges. If you do get the unit, at least get the gas kit too so you can do wires other than self shielded.

Good luck.

Andy

Comment

Thanks guys,
        I'm primarily looking for a feeder for my Bobcat 225G ( if I ever get it put back together). It has a range of 200a dc/cv and 225 dc/cc. Thought that little guy looked ok. Would prefer the 8RC but....$$$$$ !
        Andy,
        What would the performance be like with the Bobcat? I was just wondering outloud about the t'bolt. Also, I was already planning to get the gas kit on whichever feeder I will get. Just in case.

Don
        Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
        '06 12RC feeder
        Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
        Esab Multimaster 260
        Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

Don,

The bobcat is ok at best. It is a single phase DC output machine and there are no output filter capacitors. This will give you more spatter than a normal MIG unit. The Bobcat also has a pretty high CV range. It's hard to dial it down far enough to do light MIG work. The Voltage is just too high. It should be fine for .035 wire.

Hope this helps.

andy

Comment

Thanks Andy.
            I was thinking of using it mainly with fluxcore so spatter would be the rule rather than the exception. If I need to do light work, I can always use my MM 135.
            You say the voltage is too high. What about running the feeder off CC instead of CV? I know that it probably would perform a little rougher, but would it be enough to do limited thin stuff? Nothing critical, maybe a sheet metal repair? I've been doing this for decades with stick.... could always continue. Just wondering.

Don

O.K., just for giggles,.... how would the 8RC or 8VS perform? The same or better. Keep in mind .. nothing critical... that is what stick is for in "my field".
            Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
            '06 12RC feeder
            Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
            Esab Multimaster 260
            Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

The weld performance would be the same with the other feeders because of your welder. The 8vs would be your only other choice as the RC model requires remote that the Bobcat doesn't have. I think the 3045 would be a good choice for you and like you said, you have the MM135 for the small stuff. You could try the feeder on CC to see if you can get lower. I suspect you will as the Bobcat is a drooper type CC machine not a true CC unit.

If you go with the 3045, I would like to hear how it works for you.

Andy

Comment

Andy
                Thanks for all the input. I'll probably try this one out when I get some pennies. Maybe after I finish rebuilding my Bobcat. Will keep you posted.

Thanks again,
                Don
                Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
                '06 12RC feeder
                Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
                Esab Multimaster 260
                Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

I hope Im not to off base here. I have a Bobcat 225nt Plus, I use a 22a feeder (found a used one cheap with a contactor) I use gas, much nicer weld. It loves 035 solid wire. Makes good sense about the current it delivers. I have never tried 023 in the little monster. Hmmm. setting the bobcat on very low, I get the feeling I will probably have to push 400 ipm to keep the wire from melting to fast. Iam kind of new to the engine driven welders. so this has been quite interesting, to say the least thus far. Also did want to compliment You Andy, and all the other fine Patrons that offer their experiences in this molton world we exist. Cheers SMac

Comment

Thanks for the comment Smactek and welcome aboard!

Andy

Comment

Working...
                    X