• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moe1942
    replied
    Slip rings

Thanks again Hawk,

Just talked to Porty. Great guy. Had the info I was looking for. Gave me another contact for sliprings.

moe1942

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    Not at all!! Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• moe1942
    replied
    Slip rings

Thanks Hawk. Will call him today.

Hope this thread hasn't been too far left of forum protocol.

moe1942

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    Moe,

For what it is worth: You might want to call Electric Motor Service and talk with "Porty". He has been at the motor and generator rebuilding business for many years. Make no mistake this guy is really top notch! Phone number: (865) 637-7491

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Caution...

Moe
    one loud note of caution.... if the alloy used turns out to be one of the Beryillium Copper alloys..... just drop the gun and back away slowly... they are very tough and great for those applications... but the beryillium is Deadly...
    not worth touching the stuff let alone machining it....
    take care
    Heiti

BTW... some of those alloys are red-gold color others just look like copper.... and this caution goes doubly for those out there that are TIG welding copper...

Leave a comment:

• moe1942
    replied
    Slip rings

Heiti,

The reason I suggested bronze or brass was the yellowish color of the rings when cleaned up. Copper alloy makes sense though. Would make the job a snap if pure copper. Do you think there is a source to confirm the composition? Wonder of Miller knows....

moe1942

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Moe
    all of the ones that I have ever run across appear to be pure copper.. or maybe some alloy that looks like it.. have cheated in the past using copper tube for the sleeve.. then cut down the one on the armature to give a snug fit when cooled... may sound dumb.. but it has worked thus far ... and as far as sizing goes... there is a pretty good selection of sizes for plumbing tube and id/od swaged fittings and different wall thicknesses that can be cut down............
    the only place that I have ever seen brass or other alloy sliprings is in radar applications ... but these are low speed... typically 20rpm antenna rotation or less...(some of these were silver) It may be that the alloys are more prone to wear or galling at high speed.... or it may be that I am all wet and have just never seen the right ones.....
    hope this helps
    Heiti

BTW... Important point that I left out of the fix is that once the sleeve is fitted and snug... you must chuck the armature into the lathe and make a light trueing cut... have not had one yet that turned out true without at least a light cleanup cut.....

Leave a comment:

• moe1942
    replied
    Slip rings

Heiti,

Thanks for the info. Will add to favorites.

On slip ring repair. Getting lazy. Was hoping slip ring blanks were available that could be indicated then turned to correct ID.The front slip ring is already undersize from my previous repair so that part is already done.

Do you happen to know the composition of the ring. Is it a bronze alloy or is it critical. I have some brass cut offs from the local valve plant that could be used. Hope I never have to do the repair but want to be prepared.

Thanks

moe1942

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Moe
    have never run across repair shoes for sliprings... always had to cut them on the lathe.. you know the drill.. make your part about 10-25 thou too small id.(depending on dia.) .... freeze the armature... heat the repair sleeve... slip it on ... and when temps equalize.. should be a good tight fit... have never found any standards for slipring sizes... the good news is that all manner of brushes are still being manufactured and there are standards for these... and in the event that there is not a direct fit.. one size larger.. trimmed on the milling machine seems to work out ok...
    here are a couple of links... have more if you need them let me know..

Slipring maintenance stuff..

http://www.morgancarbonbrush.com/Mai...oducts%201.pdf

Brush and Reference

http://www.morgancarbonbrush.com/literature1.htm

hope this helps
    Heiti

Leave a comment:

• moe1942
    started a topic Slip rings

Slip rings

This question is for future reference since my story has a happy ending.
    One slip ring on my inherited Bobcat welder was galled by a worn out brush. There was just barely enough meat left for me to clean it up. Since I keep toys forever I want to have a fix in mind if I have to refurbish slip rings in the future.

Are piggy back rings available for repairing worn out slip rings or will I have to machine them myself. My small town contacts are non-commital and I haven't found anything on the net.

Hope my question fits forum rules.

moe1942
Working...
X