Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• johns6
    replied
    For what it's worth, I bought a Snapper commercial lawnmower in 1986 That has a Wisconsin Robin Teledyne engine. To this day it starts on the first pull. But if I were to get a new Bobcat or Trailblazer I would really be in a dilemma as to which engine to get. So I really think this would be a good time for the manufacturers to jump in and sell their products. As a Kubota tractor owner, all I can say is if you can afford the diesel, you will love it.

Leave a comment:

• Kelly Aitken
    replied
    I'm currently useing a Miller legend with the onan engine. I've put over 300hrs on it. Only had 36hrs on it when I got it. So far no probs. I've had two motor homes with onan generaters and the only problem I've had with them is the carbs tend to gum up when they sit up. I have had a problem finding someone to work on the onan. Have no experience with the kohler.

Kelly

Leave a comment:

• Faburdream
    replied
    Onan versus Kohler

I bought a bobcat when they first came out it has an onan and ran 1400 hours and you can't keep oil in it. Parts are outragous and I will NEVER buy another onan again!!!!!! B.C.

Leave a comment:

• Jack@Robin
    replied
    I'd say go with Robin!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Trailblazer Engine

Guys
    the latest pdf version of the Trailblazer 301G manual no longer lists ONAN... the engine is referred to as a ROBIN EH-64 ... might take some of the stigma off of it.. and allow Robin to stand or fall on it's own merit...
    Thanks
    Heiti

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Blondie
    sounds like you may get lucky and just need to do some maintenance on it... if you pick it up... would advise that you pull the plug and squirt a liberal amount of spray lube down into the bore.. (wd40.. etc etc) making sure that you get enough down there to wet valves etc... and let it soak for a few days before trying to spin it... they will dry out and the oil will drain away from surfaces... marine fogging oil is good stuff too if you can find it.... if it frees up and seems sound... would expect to at least rebuild the carb... change plug and oil before running etc... hope that luck is running with you... so that you can report back how sweet it runs and welds...
    take care
    Heiti

Leave a comment:

• Blondie_486
    replied
    Heiti,

He says it's just not running but it's been sitting so who knows at this time. It's kind of a sight unseen type thing. The welder is in NH and I'm in OH. I'm willing to take a weekend trip to go and pick it up if I decide to buy it. I was just preparing myself for the worst and wondering if anyone else had used a Honda engine in place of what came from Miller.

Maybe we ought to bug Andy and see if we can't get Miller to start using the Honda engines, they last like forever!

Take care and thanks again

Blondie

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Blondie_486
    is the Engine on that one Blown Up??? or just not running...... if just not running... you may be able to get away with just a carb rebuild or replacement... carb kit is about $10 bucks..... modern gas is the worst enemy of the infernal combustion engine.... if allowed to sit with it in the carb.. will form nasty varnish and cause corrosion... IF the engine has good compression and bearings are ok... is most likely carb problems... the good news is that most of the manufacturers of the older ones used the same carbs for a given class of engine .... so parts should be easy to find... if that is the case can give you links to parts sources that I have used.....
    hope this helps
    Heiti

Leave a comment:

• Blondie_486
    replied
    Heiti,

No I don't have a model or serial number on the roughneck. I really hadn't planned on getting back into the portable welding business again but at the same time I also realize If I can't go mobile I will limit the work that I can "get paid" to do. For now a 200 amp welder would suit my needs unless I find myself doing more portable welding than I had anticipated in which case I will no doubt want to go with another Big 40 again.

Basically at the present my welding equipment is at an all time low and I'm trying to get back into the swing of things of doing welding on my own. Therefore I'm buying older equipment that may be in need of repair work to keep my costs down until I can start generating a revenue to upgrade to new equipment (which will all be blue). I'm also looking at an older Hobart Cyber TIG machine which needs new SCR's in order to weld aluminum but the owner claims it welds steel just fine. It's kind of rough getting started again especially with no money to speak of to start with. I work at a fabricating shop as the lead welder but the job pays the bills and that's it! I'm not getting ahead and want to try to get something going so I can pay the house off early and some other things that I'm paying on right now without adding any payments to the budget.

Thanks for the link to the roughneck manual I'm sure there's not a lot of differences between the year models as far as the basics of the unit. Of course I could be wrong but for a hundred bucks I'm seriously thinking about taking the chance on it.

Thanks

Blondie

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Blondie_486
    Honda builds a good engine... have not heard anything bad about them... pricey though.... might consider a good used engine from any of the popular brands.. taken off of a garden tractor.. if you look a little.. they can be found pretty cheap ($100-$200 range)
    with low hours... enough to give you years of service out of it... the big question is what will fit it... with all of the variations of crankshaft mounting schemes.. threaded vs nonthreaded etc....
    most of the roughneck manuals are not available online.. but did find one.. here is the link..

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o420f_mil.pdf

Do you have a model number of the engine on it??? will help for interchange research.... also model and year of roughneck could help...
    Hope this helps
    Heiti

Leave a comment:

• Blondie_486
    replied
    Hello all,

I'm looking at a Roughneck that I may be able to pick up for a hundred bucks but will most likely need a motor. It's currently equipped with a 16hp Tecumseh engine. I've never had much luck with the Tecumseh engines. I was wondering if anyone has used or considered using a Honda engine. I've had several pieces of construction equipment with the Honda engines on them and all of them were great engines. I still have an old Stone mortar mixer with an 8hp Honda on it and it'll start everytime on the first or second pull and run all day long.

I was thinking that a hundred bucks for the Roughneck would be a good deal for a fixer upper machine. With that little invested in the machine I could probably go the extra bucks and buy a Honda engine for it.

Any thoughts on this?

Blondie

Leave a comment:

• magnum21
    replied
    H80N

Just the Onan design, The ones you will generally see in you lawn mowers and such

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    magnum21
    am curious.... is your opinion based on experience with the Robin/Subaru V-twin engines marketed by Onan/Cummins too.... or just the Onan designed ones???
    thanks

Heiti

Leave a comment:

• magnum21
    replied
    Just from being in the small engine buisness for years the kohler engine is definitely a superior engine....good luck

Leave a comment:

• WeldingWisdom
    replied
    Great work .That all I can Say.You got them sending feedback!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X