Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Me and my MM210

Hey guys ...

I have a few questions to ask. I was watching the video that came with the box and it mentioned pushing and pulling depending on thickness. What it didn't say was what was thickness threshold was. What is the thichness range to go from one methond to another? Also could someone please tell me the pros and cons of .030, .035 and .040 wire? I went last Friday to buy the wire and the gas and the guy told me .035 was more common. Why would one type be more common than the other? I found some 1/8 thick steel brackets to weld together and it prompted a question. On 1/8 thick steel about how deep is a good penetration? In other words if I cut my brackets perpendicular to weld and expose a cross section, how far into the 1/8 should the weld go?

Thats it for now ....

Thanks for your input and help.

Jorge
    MM210 w/3035
    Next up - Sync 200

MM210

SoCalITA,

Hey, Bud, I envy you. I'm really doin' OK with the the 135, though. Ain't figured out how to weld red oak yet...

Seriously, though the Penal Code says "penetration, no matter how insignificant, is sufficient to constitute the offense", I think you need to see fusion all the way to the other side. Hawk and pjs coached me into multi-pass on 1/4" with the 135, and a cross-cut section shows a full melt. I've neve had any welds tested, but that technique (slow on the high side - fast in the middle) seems real strong, and it works for me! Should be a piece 'o cake with your rig!

Be well.

hankj
    ...from the Gadget Garage
    Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
    Handler 210 w/DP3035
    TA185TSW
    Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

Comment

I saw the video and was more perplexed than before. I pull everything in steel and push everything in Al until you move to Verticle then push uphill, but flat and horizontal pull it all. I normally practice on scrap in the position of the needed weld first to check the setup amperage and wire speed normally Its me that needs adjusting, that is travel speed or stickout or travel angle. Also remember the steeper the gun angle the deeper the penetration, closer to 90degrees. On most general stuff I run around 15 degrees off perpendicular aka 75 degrees from the welded surface. If this doesn't help e-mail me through the forum with a welding subject or the note doesn't get opened. Hint a digi camera can show me what your welds look like then its easier to evaluate where to go from there!

Comment

SoCalTA,

I have never viewed the push or pull technique as a function of material thickness. I always push regardless of material type or thickness. The main reason is the weld puddle is more clearly visible. I have also found the push technique allows for better torch control. This is a personal preference and not a set in stone " do it this way" recommendation. Penetration should be 100% regardless of material thickness. If this is not achievable, then take a look at your joint design. If you like I can send you a drawing of the more common joint types. .035" wire is probably the most common size for welders in the 200-250 amp range. It is very versatile and will weld material from 1/8" up to 1/2" with ease. Material thickness on either side of these parameters are weldable, but perhaps other wire sizes are better suited.

Comment

In all reality, you may push or pull with any thickness, however when you pull the gun you will get more penetration at the root. That is why they say for thicker stuff, pull. A push will give less penetraion (at the same settings) than a pull. A push will give you better toe tie in where a pull has a chance of undercut. The reason a pull penetrates the root better is because the angle of the gun is pointing back toward the already heated, molten basemetal and with a push, the wire is always at the cool edge of the puddle.

Make sense?

As far as wire size, it's best to pick wire size per material thickness. You wouldn't do body work with .045 wire and you would't build a car trailer with .023! Each wire has a sweet spot where it works great but as a rule of thumb, you wouldn't weld material thinner than your filler wire. Example. You want to weld 22 gauge which is .031". A wire size of .035 would make this a bit difficult because the welder has to provide enough power to burn the .035 wire and if your base material is only .031, you will most likely start blowing holes in your work.

A baseline for wire selection

.023-.024 wire is good for 24gauge - 18gauge
          .030 wire is good for 22gauge - 1/8"
          .035 wire is good for 18gauge - 3/8"
          .045 wire is good for 14gauge - above 1/2"

Hope this helps.

Andy

Comment

Thank you all for taking the time to respond. The aggregate of your answers has helped me clarify things in my head. I know my penetration issue is based on my inexperience and nervousness. I know I need to get in a little closer, start with and maintain the proper angle as well as speed. From your answers I think that’s a big reason I didn't get full penetration.

It seems that pushing/pulling really is a function of personal choice so I will toss out all the other variables (material type, thickness) and just practice enough to see what works best for me. I like to get in close and see what I am doing so intuitively pushing seems to work for me but I will try both and then settle in for the long haul.
            MM210 w/3035
            Next up - Sync 200

Comment

SOCALTA: when I got my mm210 I burned up a sawzall cutting up scrap to weld back together and kept buying blades. Practice is the only answer and it is a long road sometimes but it is very rewarding when all of a sudden it hits you and things just start laying down right.

Practice is the main catchword. Good luck.

Comment

PJ,

Its funny you say that. I find myself now looking for anything metal to weld. I found two brackets I have been kicking from one side of my shop to the other and welded them together and then flipped it over and ran some welds along the back side. Needless to say that I a expect to spend more time practicing in the coming days. With the help from you and the other guys here I have a better idea of what to look for and what to do.
                MM210 w/3035
                Next up - Sync 200

Comment

Working...
                X