Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shrink wrap for old ground welding cable or reuse/ recycle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sberry
    replied
    At less than a couple bucks afootits not really worth the effort. A guy can use chunks for grounding and connecting benchs etc, I have a piece runs from builing frame to a coil for remote work out the door, to welding booth vise then to benches.

Leave a comment:

• xryan
    replied
    I've personally found that the silicone self fusing tape, aka "Rescue Tape" or "F4 tape" is great for those types of repairs. Usually a roll of 1"x12" high voltage high temp safe. Unfortunately expensive usually at a local auto parts, home store. I've found it for $2.50-$3 a roll at Tractor Supply in their bargin bins by the register. Usually it seems to be $10-15 roll at most places. It's good for something like 500° & 1000v and goes a long way because you only need 1 or 2 wraps, once on it's STUCK.
    Last edited by xryan; 01-08-2016, 03:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ShieldArc
    replied
    Originally posted by Nathan128 View Post

I've heard of guys using an old garden hose for a new coating. If it's just at home. And welding cable is worth good money as scrap. Would probably almost pay for a new one. Or give you a good start anyway
    And its green.

Leave a comment:

• H2o
    replied
    Yeah, once you buy the shrinkwrap, not worth it in the end. Will recycle and pick up some new cable. thanks.

Leave a comment:

• duaneb55
    replied
    Heat shrink tube in long rolls is quite common http://www.mcmaster.com/#heat-shrink-tubing/=z2acmr but at the price USMCPOP posted for new welding cable it's a no brainer when you consider the heat shrink tubing can cost more - as much as 2X depending on size selected.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied

Great point Nathan, I was thinking the same thing. Strip it down and take it to the scrap yard. I would probably hold on to a short section of stripped wire to use for grounding odd shaped objects if you don't have one already. All you need is a couple of feet and tie a knot in each end.

You can get heat shrink in three or four foot sections though, I buy it like that fairly frequently, but probably not as big as you need it. But anything you put around it is going to make your lead more cumbersome, with the exception of maybe a TIG torch lead sleeve. That seems like a waste though. Of you use tape, you're likely not going to be happy with it. I'll tape up my leads for small sections that get damaged, and those are areas not handled consistently. The tape tends to get gooey and sticky on ya.

If they're as bad as it sounds, scrap em.

Leave a comment:

• Nathan128
    replied

I've heard of guys using an old garden hose for a new coating. If it's just at home. And welding cable is worth good money as scrap. Would probably almost pay for a new one. Or give you a good start anyway

Leave a comment:

• H2o
    replied
    Sorry for delay responding. Been busy weekend... away from the computer...

So it is a 2/0 wire, 35' worth. Nothing written on the jacket so had to figure it out. Turning it into a jumper cable is probably a safe bet. I was looking at wrapping, and other solutions, and most would not be worth it once you take into consideration the 35' length. The entire thing would need to be taped up.

If i can find some good shrink wrap, for not too much, then I might cut it in half and make some extensions. The hose idea is not a bad one. Though it might look a little hokey.

Leave a comment:

• Sberry
    replied
    Its good to wrap ones head around the cost. Its the difference and not the total so by the time you toss 20$ at some scheme could add another 20 could have got new and not had the work to save it.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied

That seems like a pretty reasonable price.

Leave a comment:

• USMCPOP
    replied
    Electron Beam Technologies has good prices and special on welding cable.

https://www.facebook.com/Electron-Be...9733/timeline/

1/0 cable for $1.37 a foot right now!

"EB-flex, standard welding cable. "Special of the Week, 38 for 2015: 1/0 (54 mm square) NEMA Class K, for BLACK $ 1.37 per foot. September 21 through September 25, 2015. Restrictions apply (minimum length 25'). Questions or to place your order,call "Customer Service" at 815-935-2211. "

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
    Or replace it.
    BINGO..!!!

wore out is wore out...

just my 2c worth...

Leave a comment:

• aametalmaster
    replied
    Originally posted by cruizer View Post
    Why not merely electrical tape it like every other welder I know...
    Not legal in our shop or my last job in the refinery. Saw lots of good cable going in the hopper or home for jumper cables...Bob

Leave a comment:

• Sberry
    replied
    I have one kick around now has about 50 pieces of tape on it. I need to sort a bit, did some last fall. Get a new one a size up and 10 ft longer. I see Airgas has ready pak pieces on the shelf. A new one will last a long time inside.
    I used old pieces for bonds and jumpers. A Y off the machine goes to a lead with a clamp and to benches and booth.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Originally posted by mongobird View Post
    Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
    Or replace it.
    Replace an otherwise perfectly good cable???

If going the tape route, I would use cloth friction tape. But I would avoid tape because of thermally softening adhesive.

How about repurposing for the negative side of a jumper cable? Winter, remember winter?, is near.
    Ya. He said he didn't feel
    like it is very safe to use it as it sits. Replacement is an option.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X