Shrink wrap for old ground welding cable or reuse/ recycle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nathan128
    • Dec 2012

I've heard of guys using an old garden hose for a new coating. If it's just at home. And welding cable is worth good money as scrap. Would probably almost pay for a new one. Or give you a good start anyway

Comment

• ryanjones2150
      • Jul 2014

Great point Nathan, I was thinking the same thing. Strip it down and take it to the scrap yard. I would probably hold on to a short section of stripped wire to use for grounding odd shaped objects if you don't have one already. All you need is a couple of feet and tie a knot in each end.

You can get heat shrink in three or four foot sections though, I buy it like that fairly frequently, but probably not as big as you need it. But anything you put around it is going to make your lead more cumbersome, with the exception of maybe a TIG torch lead sleeve. That seems like a waste though. Of you use tape, you're likely not going to be happy with it. I'll tape up my leads for small sections that get damaged, and those are areas not handled consistently. The tape tends to get gooey and sticky on ya.

If they're as bad as it sounds, scrap em.

Comment

• duaneb55
        • Aug 2008

Heat shrink tube in long rolls is quite common http://www.mcmaster.com/#heat-shrink-tubing/=z2acmr but at the price USMCPOP posted for new welding cable it's a no brainer when you consider the heat shrink tubing can cost more - as much as 2X depending on size selected.
        MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
        Syncrowave 180 SD
        Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
        *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
        *HF-251D-1
        *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
        PakMaster 100XL
        Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110
        http://www.millerwelds.com/images/sm...rolleyes.png?2

Comment

• H2o
          • Jan 2006

Yeah, once you buy the shrinkwrap, not worth it in the end. Will recycle and pick up some new cable. thanks.

Comment

• ShieldArc
            • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Nathan128 View Post

I've heard of guys using an old garden hose for a new coating. If it's just at home. And welding cable is worth good money as scrap. Would probably almost pay for a new one. Or give you a good start anyway
            And its green.

Comment

• xryan
              • Aug 2012

I've personally found that the silicone self fusing tape, aka "Rescue Tape" or "F4 tape" is great for those types of repairs. Usually a roll of 1"x12" high voltage high temp safe. Unfortunately expensive usually at a local auto parts, home store. I've found it for $2.50-$3 a roll at Tractor Supply in their bargin bins by the register. Usually it seems to be $10-15 roll at most places. It's good for something like 500° & 1000v and goes a long way because you only need 1 or 2 wraps, once on it's STUCK.
              Last edited by xryan; 01-08-2016, 02:24 PM.
              Ryan
              MILLERMATIC 350P w/Bernard BTB300 w/XR-A Python 25'
              MULTIMATIC 200 w/Spoolmate 100 w/TIG w/Wireless pedal
              SPECTRUM 375 X-Treme
              (2) DIGITAL ELITE helmets
              Weld-Mask goggles/hood
              OPTREL e684 helmet
              SMITH torches
              HARRIS torches

Comment

• Sberry
                • Sep 2005

At less than a couple bucks afootits not really worth the effort. A guy can use chunks for grounding and connecting benchs etc, I have a piece runs from builing frame to a coil for remote work out the door, to welding booth vise then to benches.

Comment

Working...
                X