Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grinder

Members,

This may not be an appropriate question for this forum, and if not I'm sure you'll let me know!

I wnat a bench grinder that does not have that motor in the way of the work on one side of the wheel. I'm going to build a mandrel-type unit with an 8" wheel on one side and a cable-twist wire wheel on the other for joint prep 'n stuff. Ought to be a fun rainy-day project to build it all: tool guards, dust collection, the whole act.

My only delimma is what motor to use. Capacitor start or split-phase induction? I like the quick, high-torgue starting characteristics of a capacitor start motor, but almost all the bench grinders I've ever seen are split-phase units. Also, what do you think of using a 1725 rpm motor with a larger drive pulley vs. a 3400 rpm motor and the same size pulleys on the motor and the mandrel?

As always, you opinins are valued.

hankj
    ...from the Gadget Garage
    Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
    Handler 210 w/DP3035
    TA185TSW
    Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

I've seen something like what you describe he used a pair of bearing blocks from a gocart drive axle with a 3" pulley and a capacitor start 5hp motor from a compressor with a 6" pulley and a serious kevlar belt. It was set on a 1" square tube frame and the wheels were offset from the center about 2' so this thing was pretty wide and very heavily built. Hope this helps.

Also if you decide to build something don't rush check out the swap shops and pawn shops you might find a broken compressor or something else to canabilize, perfectly fine for your purpose. Good luck

Comment

5hp?

pjs,

I'm not trying to kill myself or the neighbor (even though he's a quarter mile away); I was thinking 3/4 horse max. My only delimma is the motor style. Since I posted the thread, I realize that I've never seen a grinder with the motor in the center that was not split-phase, but I still want that big spinny thing out of my way.

Be well.

hankj
      ...from the Gadget Garage
      Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
      Handler 210 w/DP3035
      TA185TSW
      Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

Comment

Over the last couple of years I have picked up several swimming pool pump assy that my neighbors set out by the curb for the garbage man. Seems on most of them the pump seals are shot but there is absolutely nothing wrong with the motors. Most are at least 3/4 hp, dual voltage, ball-bearing and capacitor start. Figured I would some day use them on a project like you are considering. They seem perfect for this and the price is right.

Comment

Hey I didn't build it I just saw it. It was impressive with 10" wire wheel and grinder disc. Got with it on heavy grinding and beveling of 3/4 plate never bogged down, but operator beware if it gets ahold of ya, your done! Be safe what ever you build, I do like the pool pump motor idea let us know if you decide to shed of one.

Comment

Working...
          X