Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mongobird
    replied
    Thanks for the vendor tip. Their parts prices are less than usual, but their kit price for the welder is higher. Actually, my LWS is pretty competitive with internet sources. I used to not think so, but they perhaps have changed their approach to be more customer friendly.

Do the smaller 9 and 17 torches have the same connection...a male threaded fitting, for gas and power?

I bought the 195234 adapter for my unit, which I was told would work on a 17, and I want to verify that it works on a 9 as well.

Price and quality are perceptions, and don't always go hand in hand, which is why there are unhappy consumers.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Multimatic 200 TIG Torch on the cheap

What's that old saying about cheap tools? I can't remember how it goes.

Leave a comment:

• Ironken
    replied
    Take a look at the attached......have you tried miller4less.com for Miller hard parts? I use them alot and their prices are about the best that I have found. On the smaller Miller/Weldcraft air cooled torches that I use, the "gas connection" is the power connection as well.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Ironken; 09-13-2015, 12:26 AM.

Leave a comment:

• mongobird
    replied
    OK, I will bump this up by adding what I have learned thus far.

The Miller contact switch, which I might use to enable the torch, and to kill the arc (initiating post flow), comes with about a 25 ft (I think actually 8m) cable, and is affordable at $200. Except not for me.

The thumb driven current control is even pricier.

So basically, this is like buying a PTT (push to talk) switch for a helicopter cyclic. So it looks like I will be spending some time for a while looking for the right microswitch that I can mount on a TIG torch, Rube Goldberg style.

Until then, I will probably live like most DIY poorboys and do without.

So that's my update, but I do have another question...

Generally, do lower current TIG torches get their power through the connector for inert gas? And then specific to the Multimatic 200, if anyone has one, I trust that the TIG torch always connects through a Miller 195234 (as opposed to a Miller 195378, which appears to be for larger power supplies). Can anyone verify this?

Thanks much.

Leave a comment:

• mongobird
    started a topic Multimatic 200 TIG Torch on the cheap

Multimatic 200 TIG Torch on the cheap

I am getting to know my Multimatic 200, and one of the things I am trying to get is a TIG torch for it. I've done a little digging, and I concluded that getting a 9 torch was probably better for me than a 17, because I tend to do small stuff.

That decided, I have been looking at lower cost 9 torches.

What would be really nice is one with a microswitch in the handle, so that I can start/stop the arc on the Multimatic 200, well, at least stop it. I know torches have a V for valve, and F for flex, but I have not seen a S for switch. Am I looking for the right thing?

Thanks from a noob.
    Last edited by mongobird; 09-09-2015, 08:31 PM. Reason: Called the PS a Multimate, instead of Multimatic. Gasp.
Working...
X