maxstar 150 on a honda 2000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• maxstar 150 on a honda 2000

so I had this thread up a while ago and I can't find it. Probably mostly because I'm fairly computer illiterate. Anyway, I was asking about running my maxstar 150 sth on my little honda 2000 generator for upcoming drag week (we're leaving saturday!). I was worried about doing some damage to the welder by running it on the generator, not sure why exactly. After so many people lately asking about running this and that off their bobcats and whatever engine drive they have, I got the guts to give it a shot. Here's what I found in case someone else finds themselves in my position...

don't be scared like me, its fine, it works and I didn't let the smoke out.

On the little honda, which is 115v, the maxstar is only 100amps max anyway, so it will be limited from the get go.

I fired it up and struck an arc (TIG) with what was in there from the last stainless restaurant job I did. I don't normally use this machine in the shop here, not because I don't like it, but because it is a pain in the forth point of contact to pack up into the carrying case. Anyway, 3/32 2% lanthanated tungsten, lit up on 11ga steel tube. If you mash the foot pedal, BAM, trips the overload. If you feather it and keep the generator just from its max, you can weld using 3/32 rod, but its super slow. 1/16th runs better on that lower amperage. I ran about 8" with no problems before my fingers felt like they were going to melt.

I plugged in the stick setup and turned it to max power, would run a 3/32 stick of 7018 for about two seconds before it hit the overload. It didn't want to run that rod anything less than max output. I stabbed a 1/16th rod in there, cut it back to about 33%, ran awesome. Great looking bead, seemed to burn in good, didn't trip the overload. I ran 7 sticks of it one right after the other without any issues other than wasting money on welding rod and electricity.

So, this welder will most likely save us from MOST repairs requiring welding that we'll run into when we're in a place that does not have power, like under and overpass in the middle or rural wisconsin. Otherwise, I'm packing a couple of pigtails to adapt to some different 230v configurations we could potentially find when we're out and about.

Being the crew chief, I sort of thrive under breakdowns and stuff. My driver told me that if we make it through without a major breakdown I'll be devastated. He's probably right. Thanks my story at least.

Wish me luck.

This what you were lookin for...???...

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ght=honda+2000

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Yup. That'd be the one. Thanks!

For some reason I couldn't figure out how to go back far enough.

I bet you hit it with a hammer didn't you? That's usually the right fix anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
        Yup. That'd be the one. Thanks!

For some reason I couldn't figure out how to go back far enough.

I bet you hit it with a hammer didn't you? That's usually the right fix anyway.
        Click on your own name
        Ed Conley
        http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
        MM252
        MM211
        Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
        TA185
        Miller 125c Plasma 120v
        O/A set
        SO 2020 Bender
        You can call me Bacchus

Comment

You are more in danger of damaging the Honda 2000 hitting the overload repeatedly
          than damage to the welding machine.
          Ed Conley
          http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
          MM252
          MM211
          Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
          TA185
          Miller 125c Plasma 120v
          O/A set
          SO 2020 Bender
          You can call me Bacchus

Comment

I do most of this forum from my iPhone, so maybe the functions are limited in the app.

That's good to know broc, figured it wasn't good for it. Seems like I have to shut the generator down to get it to reset. I tried letting it run thinking it was some sort of duty cycle similar to a welding machine, but even after 15 minutes it was still giving me the red light. I'll keep that in mind for sure.

Comment

Working...
            X