Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using Bobcat to power a Miller 211 for MIG?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Bobcat to power a Miller 211 for MIG?

This may have been covered here somewhere before, but if so I can't find it......I'm kind of curious to see if anyone has used the EFI 250 gas engine Bobcat to power their Miller 211 on 240V to do MIG welding rather than screwing around with suitcase wire feeders and etc. as that seems to be the easiest way to go about doing MIG and it be the least hassle with the equipment I have if I were to want to do some MIG out in the field.. If so, how well did it work? I'd sure like to hear about it or maybe to hear about some way/hookup/whatever that might get the job done with less fuss. Thanks!
    Don J
    Reno, NV

Never pick a fight with an old guy. Old guys are too smart to fight and get hurt. They'll just kill you and get it over with.

I don't know if this is comparable enough for ya but....I used my Lincoln Ranger 305g to power my Lincoln PowerMig 180C in the field (before I changed to blue). I made an extension cord that adapted the KVA on the engine drive to a 6-50r for the 240 mig. I ran the little machine gas and gasless for the same purpose as you question. It worked flawlessly. You won't have as much punch as you will with a suitcase but if you already own the 211 your wallet will be fatter. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Ironken; 09-07-2015, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Thanks...yeah, I do already own the 211 and love it...works real good on the 215/230 so i'm wondering about using it on the bobcat as the plugs are (IIRC) the same so the 211 would just plug right in.
      Don J
      Reno, NV

Never pick a fight with an old guy. Old guys are too smart to fight and get hurt. They'll just kill you and get it over with.

Comment

Be sure to give your receptacle on the Bobcat a look. I think it is a 14-50 where as your 211 (Im guessing the last generation transformer model?) should be a 6-50p. After looking at the specs for your Bobcat.....here's how it compares to my old set-up for reference. Ranger was breakered at 40 amps and made 9500 watts continious. The Powermig was recommended to be run on a 40a breakered circuit. At 130 amps rated welding current it should have drawn 20 amps. Thats 4600 watts. Your machine makes 10500 watts continious and is breakered at 50 amps. I don't know the specs on your 211 but Im guessing you are golden given your Bobcats capabilities......besides......on the Bobcat 250 efi's product sheet on the Miller site, it lists the old style 211 as an accessory.

Comment

The transformer-type MM211 needs 5.5 KVA/4.75 KW. Your Bobcat will handle that with no effort. I made up an adapter cable to go from the 14-50 connector on my Trailblazer to a 6-50 for other welders.

Comment

OK..thanks for the inputs...I am looking at a Bobcat that is a steal of a deal, but I still have to check with Miller to get a serial number check to be sure it is legit. The deal is good enough (maybe TOO good....but I hope not!) to make me want to be SURE it is legit for this late model EFI 250 Bobcat. So far, I have only looked at the manual for that serial number, but it APPEARS that the output and the plugs are good to go with my cords and adapters....shouldn't be a problem there....STILL, checking on what happens/happened in the REAL WORLD when you try to run the MM211 on the EFI 250 Bobcat just feels waaayy betterr to me than just checking it out on paper and in theory.....you know what I mean, I'll bet.

Still thinking about a trailer/mount system...can't figure out if I want to mount just the bobcat on a smallish trailer and then carry the 211 and its tanks and junk in the truck and use a good 50 foot 230 extension cord I have to get close to the work and away from the Bobcat, but am leaning pretty heavy toward that because the 211/tank/tool box cart can be then either used/wheeled around the shop or a job site and just plugged into the right voltage wherever needed.....dunno yet.
            Don J
            Reno, NV

Comment

It. Will work I've done it a few times
              Miller Bobcat 225NT onan
              Millermatic 211
              Spoolmate 100
              (Retapped to fit regular mig tips)
              Work better & less parts to stock.
              Miller 130xp
              T/A Dragster 85 (portability 11 pounds)
              Oxygen/Acetylene torch set 50'
              2. 4-1/2" grinders
              1. 9" grinder
              14" Makita chop saw
              1/2" Aircat impact gun 900#

Comment

Thanks for all the help, guys...but I have decided to NOT do the deal as the scam alert bells are ringing WAY TOO LOUDLY in my head. Having the scam alerts going off has caused me to call Miller to check out the serial number, to talk to the dealer that sold it, to talk to Ebay and etc. and the alarms just keep getting louder and louder.....causing me to put my wallet back in my pocket and just ignore the whole deal....sad to say and I really would have liked to have one of those!! But I worked way too hard and long for my money to let some scammer get any of it!!
                Don J
                Reno, NV

Comment

I've never lost money on a deal I walked away from. Sounds like a good plan.

Comment

You sound like a wise man, Don. I keep seeing Bobcats advertised on Craigs list for $1500 dollars plus or minus, something like 1513, 1509, etc. "only run for 2 hrs!"
                    Several different pictures, and some of the same pictures in different ads. I don't know if these guys are just collecting and selling cell phone numbers or what, but they are all too good to be true.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeronca41 View Post
                      You sound like a wise man, Don. I keep seeing Bobcats advertised on Craigs list for $1500 dollars plus or minus, something like 1513, 1509, etc. "only run for 2 hrs!"
                      Several different pictures, and some of the same pictures in different ads. I don't know if these guys are just collecting and selling cell phone numbers or what, but they are all too good to be true.
                      Yep, see it all the time down here. Not sure how the scam works.
                      2- XMT's 350 cc/cv
                      1- Blue star 185
                      1- BOBCAT 250
                      1- TRAILBLAZER 302
                      1- MILLER DVI
                      2- PASSPORT PLUS
                      1- DYNASTY 200 DX
                      1- DYNASTY 280 DX
                      1- MAXSTAR 150 STL
                      1- HF-251 BOX
                      1- S-74D
                      1- S-75DXA
                      2- 12-RC SUITCASES
                      1- 8-VS SUITCASE
                      2- 30 A SPOOLGUNS

Comment

http://www.searchtempest.com/search?...in&maxYear=max

That Bobcat sure gets around
                        Ed Conley
                        http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                        MM252
                        MM211
                        Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                        TA185
                        Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                        O/A set
                        SO 2020 Bender
                        You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Originally posted by fabricator View Post
                          Yep, see it all the time down here. Not sure how the scam works.
                          Scam Sellers:
                          They usually ask for a downpayment to hold the item. the price is so good people fear losing such a good deal they actually send money.

Scam Buyers:

They usually offer way over the price in the form of a cashiers check and you the seller can keep a little extra for the trouble
                          * just deposit the $3,000.00 for the $1,000.00 item, keep an extra $500.00 but wire the $1,500.00 leftover to acct #123456.

Cashiers check is fake. Unfortunately people believe that a cashiers check is real money and that the bank will certainly know a fake one but 'tis not true. As with any check one deposits, the bank assumes it is good until they process it… a few days later. The funds appear in your account on good faith at the time of deposit but are always subject to authentication.

With larger deposits the bank does put a hold on the funds until they actually receive the money from the issuing bank.

and yes people still fall for this scam, that's why they still keep running the scam.
                          Ed Conley
                          http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                          MM252
                          MM211
                          Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                          TA185
                          Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                          O/A set
                          SO 2020 Bender
                          You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Broccoli1, thanks for the info. I knew about the scheme where they send you "extra money" but couldn't imagine the scam on the low priced offers to sell. Guess I couldn't imagine someone sending money on such an obviously too-good-to-be true sale. I guess the old saw about never going broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people applies-as you say, if they weren't making money in the scam they wouldn't keep doing it.

Comment

Using Bobcat to power a Miller 211 for MIG?

I see the same one here in southeast Texas. I actually called the number two different times just to see. No answer and I got a text back asking for an email address and said he was working for the government and couldn't make phone calls where he was. Both times, two different numbers, exact same response. I figured from the start that it was BS.

Comment

Working...
                              X