X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tryagn5
    replied
    Originally posted by mongobird View Post
    Thanks. And thanks to the others for the comments.

One trick I used to dry out a GPS that got thoroughly soaked, was to put it into a paint pot, and draw a vacuum on it. Does anyone know if that approach works well on welding rods?
    With drenched electronics, it takes a day to three to dry things out, and the paint tank needs to be drawn down periodically as water evaporates out of the nooks and crannies.
    I buy new rod. Also buy it in 10lb containers less waste and stay sealed.

Leave a comment:

• mongobird
    replied
    Originally posted by M J Mauer View Post
    Welcome to the forum.
    Thanks. And thanks to the others for the comments.

One trick I used to dry out a GPS that got thoroughly soaked, was to put it into a paint pot, and draw a vacuum on it. Does anyone know if that approach works well on welding rods?
    With drenched electronics, it takes a day to three to dry things out, and the paint tank needs to be drawn down periodically as water evaporates out of the nooks and crannies.

Leave a comment:

• Sberry
    replied
    We use 6011 an 7018. I havnt been storing it dry but don't do multi pass or hi pressure work with it either. If I have to do heavy I usually reach for wire.

Leave a comment:

• M J Mauer
    replied
    Welcome to the forum.

Leave a comment:

• BD1
    replied
    For farm repair on dirty or rusted metal , I use 6010 DC or if you have AC, 6011.
    This will burn through almost anything.

Leave a comment:

• Tryagn5
    replied
    Originally posted by mongobird View Post
    It has been suggested to me that I use 7014 rods on the farm, as they do not soak up moisture like 7018. I am just starting to research the matter, and I figured that someone here could enlighten me, and perhaps set me on the right path.

As I understand it, 7018 needs a dry environment. 7014 does not absorb the same level of moisture and therefore the flux performs better.
    7014 is not low hydrogen so yes it does not require oven to keep its low hyd such as 7018. However 7018 is a much bettar all around rod. Unless its code work all my 7018 sits in my service truck for months on end. Other than being a touch difficult to start
    I dont have any issues.
    Also 7014 is more of an in postion rod. It leaves a crater when stopped which much be backstepped and filled. But...i use it a lot for build up work. Being an iron powder rod it fills fast and hardface welds very well over it.
    Kevin

Leave a comment:

• mongobird
    started a topic 7014 vs 7018 on the farm

7014 vs 7018 on the farm

It has been suggested to me that I use 7014 rods on the farm, as they do not soak up moisture like 7018. I am just starting to research the matter, and I figured that someone here could enlighten me, and perhaps set me on the right path.

As I understand it, 7018 needs a dry environment. 7014 does not absorb the same level of moisture and therefore the flux performs better.
Working...
X