Wiring new outlets for 350P

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring new outlets for 350P

We are having our shop wired for a new 350p. The literature specs input amps at 69amp and 61amp for 200v and 230v, respectively. Miller then lists a NEMA 6-50P for the power plug.

Why do they list a 50amp plug when the input specs are over 60amps? Will a 50amp circuit support this machine?

Originally posted by StakinDimes View Post

.....Why do they list a 50amp plug when the input specs are over 60amps? Will a 50amp circuit support this machine?
    A 50 amp 230 volt circuit will only support it to partial capacity... at approx 286 amps (82% of 350amps....[50/61]*350=286 )

The 6-50 has become the defacto standard for single phase welders right or wrong...
    Last edited by H80N; 08-31-2015, 03:29 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

We are having our shop wired for a new 350p. The literature specs input amps at 69amp and 61amp for 200v and 230v, respectively. Miller then lists a NEMA 6-50P for the power plug.

Why do they list a 50amp plug when the input specs are over 60amps? Will a 50amp circuit support this machine?

I use the NEMA 6-50P for the power plug on my machine without any problems. I also use a 40 amp breaker and have not tripped it yet.

Ja
      sigpic

Dynasty 200 DX
      Millermatic 350P
      30A Spoolgun
      Lincoln Pro Mig 140
      Hypertherm Powermax 30
      14" Rage Evolution dry saw
      40 ton press brake
      Evenheat Heat treat oven

1x42 / 4x48 belt grinder

Comment

I use em on all my machines.
        2- XMT's 350 cc/cv
        1- Blue star 185
        1- BOBCAT 250
        1- TRAILBLAZER 302
        1- MILLER DVI
        2- PASSPORT PLUS
        1- DYNASTY 200 DX
        1- DYNASTY 280 DX
        1- MAXSTAR 150 STL
        1- HF-251 BOX
        1- S-74D
        1- S-75DXA
        2- 12-RC SUITCASES
        1- 8-VS SUITCASE
        2- 30 A SPOOLGUNS

Comment

Wiring new outlets for 350P

Used it with 350-p & 50amp breaker for close 5 years no problems

Comment

You need to pull up the manual and look at the electrical service requirements.

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o1327ah_mil.pdf

You'll notice that it requires a 70amp breaker BUT minimum wire is 8g for rated output.

This is allowable due to the fact that the machine has a duty cycle- it is not a continuous draw on the circuit.

A 50amp continuous rated plug (the 6-50p) is acceptable for this application.
            Ed Conley
            http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
            MM252
            MM211
            Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
            TA185
            Miller 125c Plasma 120v
            O/A set
            SO 2020 Bender
            You can call me Bacchus

Comment

You da man Broc,, as a side note since this is new it couldnt hurt to toss a 6 wire in it. I see them on a 50 all the time, I it worked that would be the ideal. There is nothing wrong with a larger breaker for it or a similar machine but ones that come with a factory 50 cord should generally be limited to 50A breakers.
              Last edited by Sberry; 09-01-2015, 08:38 AM.

Comment

Thanks for all the responses. We Are going to have the sparky run one size bigger wire and go with a 50amp breaker and 6-50 plug for now. That way in the future if we have any issues we can throw a bigger breaker in the panel and either hardwire the welder in or use a higher amperage disconnect.

Comment

I am all for economical but this is cheap insurance especially since this is not a bargain type machine anyway and sounds like a real shop.

Comment

Stacken dimes, I bought a 350 P Aluminum and just asked the very same questions and got the same answers, right or wrong I run mine off a 50 amp breaker and a 50 amp plug.

I'm not happy about it but it is what it is.

Comment

It need not be a 50 amp breaker. You can, if needed, go up to 200% on breaker sizing. Be aware that the rule allowing a level of conductor extra load as it won't be continuous, do nothing to control voltage loss. Unless your run is very close to the utility company transformer, it'll still have to be bigger to prevent excessive voltage loss.
                      Last edited by WillieB; 09-03-2015, 09:01 PM.
                      Dynasty 280DX
                      Bobcat 250
                      MM252
                      Spool gun
                      Twentieth Century 295
                      Twentieth Century 295 AC
                      Marquette spot welder
                      Smith torches

Comment

Working...
                      X