New MM 211 (inverter)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New MM 211 (inverter)?

Looking to buy a new mig and considering new MM211 inverter. Miller claims new inverter 211 does everything the discontinued model did but better. Miller has had a 190 mig inverter out for a bit but the 211 is very new. Does anyone know how reliable the inverters are? Did any one have problems with the duel voltage on the old 211. How well do they run .023 wire? .030 wire? I weld as a hobby, probably nothing greater than 3/16 maybe occasional 1/4. Is this a good choice? Most manufactures are going the inverter route with their new Migs, I guess I have to trust that they have been well tested, just wanted some thought and feedback on the inverter technology and the MM211 in general. Thanks in advance

I would buy an old stock 211. They are proven winners.

Comment

New MM 211 (inverter)?

Are you stuck on buying a new machine? Is it just something you want to buy or could you be just as happy with a used machine?

I can't speak for inverter wire welders, since I don't personally have one, but I'd guess they have differences from the transformer machines just like anything else. As far as inverter welders in general go, in my experience, there are some differences. The inverters allow for all sorts of bells and whistles in a much more affordable machine, which is good. They're smaller and lighter, which is probably good. But the question in everyone's mind is will they hold up over the long run like the transformer machines? The old MM250 that I rescued from someone's yard, no telling how many years it sat out in the rain, would I have been able to resuscitate it with a can of WD40 and a wire brush? Who knows. It was in bad shape. Welds like a champ still.

So I guess if you're not going to store it out in the rain, it'll probably be fine. If space and maneuverability are a concern, it might be a good fit for you then.

Comment

Don't know the cost of repair for the new inverter version 211 but other inverters can be pretty pricey to fix. I rushed to buy the old 211 because I won't be able to afford too many pricey repairs in retirement. Already have a Dynasty 200, which has had zero problems. It will be out of warranty soon and if it breaks it will consume my fix-it budget....didn't want an inverter 211 also given the known pretty well bulletproof design of the old one. All of that said, I LOVE the light weight and performance of the inverter Dynasty and chose to live with the repair cost risk to get the performance. You will have to decide if the new 211 features are worth the presumed repair cost risk. I can say my old 211 welds really nice; have not tried a new one.

Comment

Thanks guys for your input. I can't find a 211 transformer either on line or locally. In regards to new, yes I guess I would prefer new, after rebate it is $900 with 3 yr warranty. Am a hobbyist so not a lot of heavy use. Miller claims (?) will do everything the discontinued model will but better. Smoother arc, more efficient, improved duty cycle and drive roller along with a smaller package. I can't imagine Miller discontinuing one of their best sellers without an improved model. Those are my thoughts but again you don't really know until it has been out for a while. Any other similar size migs I should be looking at? Thanks again

Comment

I've been lugging my transformer MIG around a lot lately (can't use a cart, not in a shop), so I look forward to picking up a new 211 in the next few weeks hopefully. Either that or a Multimatic 200, which is already inverter-based.
            HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
            HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
            HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
            HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
            HTP Inverarc 200 TLP water cooled
            HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

New MM 211 (inverter)?

Being a miller forum this is a good place to ask about a miller machine. I have blue and red machines and have owned a few others. There are lots of machines out there that would fit your needs nicely. The one you're looking at is probably one of the higher dollar ones for that, but a good machine for sure.

I can tell you from experience, a huge bonus for using blue is the service. I have received great information and help, even on the old clapped out crap I've found and rebuilt. Not always are you gonna get an answer or help to the level you need from them, but they're human. But after dealing with a couple of the...uh..."import" companies--trying to save a buck I was--it's well worth spending the extra money. That doesn't mean any other company won't help you like miller does. I've had a great experience with esab customer service too, at about the same level as miller. So, chose your poison, but--hobbyist or not--there's a lot to be said for quality and service.

Comment

Miller has a proven track record with Inverters.

Passport
                Passport Plus
                Multimatic 200
                XMT line

I love my Passport Plus.
                Ed Conley
                http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                MM252
                MM211
                Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                TA185
                Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                O/A set
                SO 2020 Bender
                You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
                  Miller has a proven track record with Inverters.

Passport
                  Passport Plus
                  Multimatic 200
                  XMT line

I love my Passport Plus.

I may be mistaken but isn't the Milermatic 350/350p inverter technology also?
                  sigpic

Dynasty 200 DX
                  Millermatic 350P
                  30A Spoolgun
                  Lincoln Pro Mig 140
                  Hypertherm Powermax 30
                  14" Rage Evolution dry saw
                  40 ton press brake
                  Evenheat Heat treat oven

1x42 / 4x48 belt grinder

Comment

Originally posted by ja baudin View Post
                    Yes they are...

as are the Dynasty series...

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                    Dynasty 200DX
                    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
                    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Originally posted by Flip1 View Post
                      Thanks guys for your input. I can't find a 211 transformer either on line or locally. In regards to new, yes I guess I would prefer new, after rebate it is $900 with 3 yr warranty. Am a hobbyist so not a lot of heavy use. Miller claims (?) will do everything the discontinued model will but better. Smoother arc, more efficient, improved duty cycle and drive roller along with a smaller package. I can't imagine Miller discontinuing one of their best sellers without an improved model. Those are my thoughts but again you don't really know until it has been out for a while. Any other similar size migs I should be looking at? Thanks again
                      I was at WELDERS SUPPLY in Burlington Wisconsin today and they have the old 211 in store. The website only shows with cart, give them a call.
                      1-800-236-8825
                      http://www.weldersupply.com/C/36/MigWelding

Comment

Originally posted by ja baudin View Post
                        Yup- I didn't list ALL of them

Ed Conley
                        http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                        MM252
                        MM211
                        Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                        TA185
                        Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                        O/A set
                        SO 2020 Bender
                        You can call me Bacchus

Comment