• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HAWK
    replied
    Gentec by Smith

wheels,

Great! Those little things can be annoying and frustrating. My dealer tool back my Victor Medalist regulator/flowmeter and gave me a really nice 0-60PSI Gentec regulator/flowmeter. It is of great quality and made by Smith. I turned off the flowmeter and opened the tank valve pressurizing the regulator. I then turned the tank off leaving pressure on the regulator. 48 (FORTY-EIGHT) hours later there was absolutely no leak off. I had a bad flowmeter combo.

While I was there I picked up a saftey cap enclosure and installed on my 300CF Helium/Argon tank. If the tank were ever to fall, the flowmeter would be a loss, the concrete floor would probably crack, but the tank would not be a missle in route!

Leave a comment:

• Wheels
    replied
    Problem Solved!!

I didnt want to bother Dave at this hour so I removed the cover and found a loose connection . The rubber gas hose runs through the case to a threaded brass fitting connected to the gas valve. The fitting was loose . A 5/8 wrench and 1/4 turn and all is well! By the way the gas solenoid seems to be plastic so if anyone has a problem of this nature it would be wise to use caution not to overtighten and risk cracking the valve.

Once again THANKS for the help Mike

Leave a comment:

• Wheels
    replied
    Wiil do Hawk. Thanks

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    wheels,

Call Dave Fisher at Miller. Just dial 1 800 4 a Miller and ask to be transferred to applications for tig. Dave is a super nice guy and will be more than glad to take time to help you find the problem.
    Good luck and tell Dave Wes says hi.

Leave a comment:

• Wheels
    replied
    Hawk

Haven`t opened the case yet due to schedule, but my leak has to be internal. If my guess is correct the gas valve should be closed until it is powered up so I would think a leak would show up with the power chord disconnected. I loose pressure no matter what. I have eliminated the regulator by both swaping it out for a proven one and checking both on another machine. I have checked all external connections with leak detector spray on both ends of the machine. This doesn`t leave many options. This is the ONLY glitch I see in this welder and I aam sure it is only a loose connection or something.
    I appreciate your concern for my safety and assure you I will observe caution.It has been unplugged for three days and I have no intention to have power to it with the sheet metal removed.

p/s thanks for your time, I value your opinion!

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    SAFETY FIRST

ANOTHER THOUGHT. IF THE DYNASTY IS OPEN AND THE POWER IS OFF, THEN THE GAS CONTACTOR IS OFF. HOW WOULD YOU LOCATE THE LEAK? I WOULD NOT HAVE THE POWER ON AND THE COVER OFF ANY IGBT MACHINE INCLUDING THE DYNASTY. You are talking high voltage and high current!!!

You may be able to check for a leak up to the gas contactor. After the gas enters the contactor you will not be able to trace its path with the power off. DO NOT TURN ON THE POWER WITH THIS UNIT OPENED AND OUT OF ITS CASE!!!

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    wheels,

I picked up a 300CF bottle of HE/Ar mix and connected the flowmeter connector tightly. I turn the bottle on to check the contents PSI after I just brought it home. It was 1850PSI which is about right for this cylinder size and gas mix 75%He/25%Ar. I turned the tank off and noticed the high pressure side had bled off to 1700PSI. I tightened the flowmeter to tank connection and turned the bottle back on and off again. It rose back to 1850PSI. This time it slowly bled off to 1800. I cranked the flowmeter to tank connector tighter and repeated the procedure. All this time the Dynasty is off. The flowmeter is hooked to the tank and the other end of the gas line is hooked to the back side of the Dynasty. I kept tightening the flowmeter to the tank connection everytime the slight drop in PSI was detected. Now there is no more leak. Before I kept tightening this connection I doubled checked the hose and flowmeter connection and the hose to the Dynasty connection.

The point I am trying to make is even though the tank to regulator or flowmeter may seem tight ; It may have to be tightened more due to possible wear on the tank threads. Remember you are not the only one that has used this tank. It may take a 12 or 15" crescent wrench to get the job done. A soapy water solution may not detect a very minor leak such as your regulator or flowmeter gauge may show as a 50 PSI pressure drop over a number of hours.

I think I would go this route before resorting to opening the Dynasty.

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    wheels,

Now you all have me thinking: I leave my argon bottle on 24/7 and it never leaks. Saturday I hooked a 50He/50Ar to the the Dynasty using the same flowmeter and hoses. About 4 hours later it appeared to have leaked down. I could not find a leak anywhere. If you have checked all your external connections with a soap solution and cannot find a leak, you can open the machine and check internally. REMEMBER INVERTERS RETAIN INTERNAL POWER FOR A GOOD AMOUNT OF TIME AFTER THEY ARE TURNED OFF! CALL MILLER TECHNICAL:
    1-800-FOR-AMILLER ASK FOR APPLICATIONS DEALING WITH THE DYNASTY. FIND OUT HOW LONG THE MACHINE NEEDS TO BE OFF AND UNPLUGGED BEFORE OPENING THE COVER.
    Also have you checked the gas hose fittings from you torch to the front of the machine?

Let us know.

Leave a comment:

• Wheels
    replied
    Hawk

I still have the gas leak I mentioned earlier. I wonder if I should remove the cover with the machine unplugged overnight to prevent a zap and look for an internal leak?

Mike

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    wheels,

I can't see the termination very well, but it looks like your stops are coming right along. Good job.

Leave a comment:

• Wheels
    replied
    Gaining on it little by little.

Leave a comment:

• arcdawg
    replied
    hawk,

thanks alot for the positive feedback, coming from you thats a MAJOR THUMBS UP !!!!!!!!.

BRIAN

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    arcdawg,

You are right on! 1200 for the Al and 3000 or more degress for the oxides. If the oxides are not removed by a thorough cleaning then there is a possibility for having oxide inclusions in the weld. There also exists a good probability for poor fusion due to a reduction in the "wetting" action of the weld puddle caused by the surface oxides.

This is why AC is so good for Tigging Al. The alternating action tends to help break up the surface oxides. The other reason is the tungsten has a momentary opportunity to cool as the squarewave AC or sine wave for the older TIG units) crosses the midpoint.

Leave a comment:

• arcdawg
    replied
    wheels, the bead in the middle left is what you want, its really good.....

watch out for your CRATERS, clean the **** out of your work piece, s.s. brush that is for aluminum ONLY. accitone,

keep this in mind, the oxide that forms on aluminum is going to melt at around 3000f* and the base metal melts around 1200f* (hawk ???)

brian

Leave a comment:

• Wheels
    replied
    Starting to get the hang of it...I think.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X