• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ASKANDY
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2002

Wheels,
    Congrats on the new Dynasty!

A couple of hints on machine set up. The unit was designed with variable frequency to fine tune arc width. The higher the freq, the narrower the bead profile and more root penetration. As a rule of thumb, set your freq based on joint design. For example, 3/16 outside corner would run great on 90-110 on the freq cause it would tie in both edges without having to move the torch back and forth or by stepping up the amperage to get the arc to go wider if the freq was set too high. Some people like the wide open freq at 250 all the time but that wasn't the original intent. At that high freq, you would have to really have to give it some amperage to compensate for the narrow bead profile. Now with thinner material, upping the freq is cool or doing tight included angles where you need a tight arc to keep it from slapping the sides of the base metal is a great place to run it 220-250. A great starting point for most stuff is around 110-150. And a Balance of 70-80 depending on base metal quality. Try to stay above 60 as much below that will cause the tungsten to ball up or erode quicker. The only times I really run the freq way up is thight spots, welding something that I need a finer edge weld like in Alum heads near the valve seat area is a great area where I don't want larger beads. You'll have to play with it to find your sweet spot. That machine also likes the 5356 filler. It will do well with all fillers but for some reason the 5356 shines.

Have fun.

Andy

Comment

• Wheels
      • Sep 2005

Andy

I dont know if there is a problem or not , but whed I turn the gas off at the tank the pressure drops off pretty quick . I have the contractors kit installed and all conections tight. Since I noticed this I turn it off if i am not welding for even a short time . Question is am I going to loose argon if I don`t? I hear no leaks and thought I`d ask before spraying on any kind of leak detector.
      Regency 200 w/30A
      Dynasty 200 dx
      Esab 875 plasma
      MM350-P w/30A

Comment

• ASKANDY
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2002

If I understand you correctly, the high pres side drops quick after shutting the valve?
        If this is so, it does sound like there is a leak at the tank where the regulator is screwed in. Could be a tank defect or something is impeding the seal of the fitting. In either case, you may want to spray soapy water at the fittings.

Andy

Comment

• Wheels
          • Sep 2005

Andy

This is the same tank I used just yesterday with the Regency200. Had no leaks, As amatter of fact it will hold pressure over night.I think what I should do is hook the Dynasty up to the Regency regulator and see if the problem goes away.
          Regency 200 w/30A
          Dynasty 200 dx
          Esab 875 plasma
          MM350-P w/30A

Comment

• ASKANDY
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2002

Sounds like a fine idea. Also look at the end of the fitting on the regulator that goes in the tank and you'll see a wear line where it seats to the tank, see if there is any shiney or areas where it looks like it didn't seat properly.

A-

Comment

• Wheels
              • Sep 2005

Andy

I pressured it up and used leak detector on it and found no external leaks. Put the mig regulator on and it dropped from 500psi to zip in less than 30seconds. I hate wasting gas , the wife says I do enough of that already .

Thanks Mike
              Regency 200 w/30A
              Dynasty 200 dx
              Esab 875 plasma
              MM350-P w/30A

Comment

• t500
                • Feb 2004

I also have a Dynasty 200DX with the same problems with the leaking argon. I haven't done any leak detection yet, but would be interested to hear your findings. For now i turn the gas off as soon as i am done. Hopefully I'll get around to checking mine this weekend.

Comment

• ASKANDY
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2002

Maybe it's not a problem at all. I use the flowmeters instead of the 2 dial regulator so maybe it's just the nature of that regulator. I'll try to hunt one of the others up and test it.

a-

Comment

• Wheels
                    • Sep 2005

Andy

Both of my regulators leak down when hooked to the Dynasty, and both hold pressure when hooked to the mig.Makes me think either a hose is leaking and I have yet to find it or I have an internal leak.
                    Anyhow i`m sure its no biggie.

Thanks Mike
                    Regency 200 w/30A
                    Dynasty 200 dx
                    Esab 875 plasma
                    MM350-P w/30A

Comment

• Bob Sigmon
                      • Sep 2005

My Dynasty has a verrrry slow leak. It takes overnight to see the drop. I just turn my gas off at the end of the day and haven't had any significant loss (other than my bad practive welds).

Bob Sigmon
                      Bob Sigmon
                      A/O Setup with Meco Midget
                      Miller Big Window Elite
                      Quincy QT-5HD

Comment

• Paul Seaman
                        • Sep 2005

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure: I always turn off the gas when done, its cheaper on the pocketbook if you should develope a leak. If you do this every time then when the machine gets old you don't find an empty tank when the supply is closed.

Comment

• HAWK
                          • Feb 2006

Wheels,

I have found, in my very limited experience, that I have to back the foot pedal off quite a bit by the end of a run. The heat really builds up in the aluminum and the bead will widen and flatten out pretty quick.

Bob, IN RESPONSE TO THE ABOVE QUOTE FROM YOUR EARLIER POST.

I don't usually let off the pedal as the the aluminum gets hot. I just run a heck of a lot faster. You are right. You either have to let up on the amptrol or really pick up the speed after a bit when the base aluminum starts heating up. It has superior thermal conductivity!

Comment

• Wheels
                            • Sep 2005

PJ
                            I always turn off my bottle if I`m taking a long break from work, but I`m my guages are dropping to zero in less than 30 seconds. Can`t find the leak.
                            Regency 200 w/30A
                            Dynasty 200 dx
                            Esab 875 plasma
                            MM350-P w/30A

Comment

• HAWK
                              • Feb 2006

To all leaking posts:

I am with Andy in that it may the regulator set. I use a flow meter and never turn my gas off until the bottle is empty and needs to be swapped for a fresh fill. I do turn off my Dynasty at the end of the evening, but the tanks stay wide open less a slight turn back once the tank valve seats all the way open. I turn it back toward the close direction just a bit to avoid damaging the internal valve seat. That is just a pet peeve of mine.

Comment

• Paul Seaman
                                • Sep 2005

Wheels: Try soapy water in a spray bottle work one fitting at a time till you get to the power supply, if no leak then maybe its a valve inside, not probable but possible. I didn't mean to sound old mother hubbard I do appologize. Good luck

Comment

Working...
                                X