Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Miller Syncrowave 350

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Correct-only three wires are needed for a 230 volt machine. You could do as you suggest but the color codes in the wiring would be non-standard (but it will work). Would suggest you just cap off the white wire inside the welder and connect the black wire that is now capped off to the welder terminal that now has the white wire. Same result, but standard Color codes would make it easier for the next guy. You got the colors correct in the CB box.
    Last edited by Aeronca41; 09-07-2015, 09:04 PM.

    Comment


    • #17
      Miller Syncrowave 350

      I've never had my hands inside one of those machines, so I don't want to lead you astray. Generally, you'll have two hots and a neutral in a 230v application. That third hot might be for wiring your machine to three phase if it's an option. Those jumpers next to the wires should be configured for your input power as well. Surely there is someone that has experience with this machine and can chime in.

      Comment


      • #18
        Ok awesome. Yeah this baffled me seeing that I got this machine from a pretty big factory. Does it make a difference when its hooked up to a 3-phase power source? Maybe it was replaced at one point in time and someone hooked it up wrong. It be cool if someone else had a picture of there's.

        Does anyone know if the color of the different tape used on the wires means anything?

        I think ill just switch the white and black in the box for the time being. Sucks, I had to cut open the wire loom extra far just to get that white wire to reach the neutral bus bar. Oh well.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by aero1310 View Post
          Ok awesome. Yeah this baffled me seeing that I got this machine from a pretty big factory. Does it make a difference when its hooked up to a 3-phase power source? Maybe it was replaced at one point in time and someone hooked it up wrong. It be cool if someone else had a picture of there's.

          Does anyone know if the color of the different tape used on the wires means anything?

          I think ill just switch the white and black in the box for the time being. Sucks, I had to cut open the wire loom extra far just to get that white wire to reach the neutral bus bar. Oh well.
          This is a SINGLE PHASE WELDER....!!!! 200-575 vac 1ph (jumper clip selectable)

          here is the manual with all of the correct schematics and diagrams to hook it up..

          http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o352e_mil.pdf

          .

          *******************************************
          The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

          “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

          Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

          My Blue Stuff:
          Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
          Dynasty 200DX
          Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
          Millermatic 200

          TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by H80N View Post
            This is a SINGLE PHASE WELDER....!!!! 200-575 vac 1ph (jumper clip selectable)

            here is the manual with all of the correct schematics and diagrams to hook it up..

            http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o352e_mil.pdf

            I know that. I was also told big factories use a 3 phase power source but hook it up as single phase to get the 460v. I am not connecting this to 3 phase. I also have the manual, but it does not answer all the questions I have. This would be a lot simpler if the welder was brand new but it is 25 years old. I'm sure it has been worked on and received a lot of use out of the years. Please read my posts a little more carefully.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Aeronca41 View Post
              Correct-only three wires are needed for a 230 volt machine. You could do as you suggest but the color codes in the wiring would be non-standard (but it will work). Would suggest you just cap off the white wire inside the welder and connect the black wire that is now capped off to the welder terminal that now has the white wire. Same result, but standard Color codes would make it easier for the next guy. You got the colors correct in the CB box.

              Just to be clear-the third wire besides the two hots from the 2-pole breaker is the green ground.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by aero1310 View Post
                I know that. I was also told big factories use a 3 phase power source but hook it up as single phase to get the 460v. I am not connecting this to 3 phase. I also have the manual, but it does not answer all the questions I have. This would be a lot simpler if the welder was brand new but it is 25 years old. I'm sure it has been worked on and received a lot of use out of the years. Please read my posts a little more carefully.
                Really..?? guess I would have to be a mind reader...

                Having hooked up a few dozen Sync's over the years.. and..hearing you refer to 3 phase was quite alarming,,, ALL are Single Phase..(all that I have ever seen anyway).. a 3Ph hookup would let the smoke out in a very dramatic and dangerous way...
                Last edited by H80N; 09-07-2015, 10:27 PM.
                .

                *******************************************
                The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

                “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

                Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

                My Blue Stuff:
                Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                Dynasty 200DX
                Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
                Millermatic 200

                TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                  I've never had my hands inside one of those machines, so I don't want to lead you astray. Generally, you'll have two hots and a neutral in a 230v application. That third hot might be for wiring your machine to three phase if it's an option. Those jumpers next to the wires should be configured for your input power as well. Surely there is someone that has experience with this machine and can chime in.
                  1. There is NO neutral in 240v circuit. Line 1, line 2 & GROUND
                  2. This is a Single phase machine

                  The previous owner used a 4-wire cord but this machine only requires 3-wires
                  That is why they capped off one of the wires. Most likely they already had some 4-wire cord on hand.
                  Ed Conley
                  http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                  MM252
                  MM211
                  Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                  TA185
                  Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                  O/A set
                  SO 2020 Bender
                  You can call me Bacchus

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    The wires have been color coded with tape to indicate phase.

                    It doesn't matter for welders but 3-phase motors need to be properly wired for motor rotation.
                    Ed Conley
                    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                    MM252
                    MM211
                    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                    TA185
                    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                    O/A set
                    SO 2020 Bender
                    You can call me Bacchus

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      So I got the 2 hots and the ground. This is what I figured at the time but wanted to ask and make sure before I made a critical mistake. Hopefully I can get back out to my shop sometime this week and see how well this thing works.

                      Thanks guys, very helpful knowledge.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Miller Syncrowave 350

                        If I got my hands on a syncrowave, I don't think I could sleep until I got it up and running.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X